Lt. Commander
I wanna start saying I really like the ground combat in this game. It has big, very 'spacey' maps, character models look very trek, movement needs work, but the DPS (and yes mob-death on higher diff levels) has got to go. I really want to see a Chance-to-Hit become the new ground combat in the update from Season 4. DPS looks weird when your blasting someone for almost a minute until they go down. ( if this is the new combat, ignore this thread :p)
When I see enemies, i should shoot once and a klingon should go flyin', I would duck and roll to take cover(like now), they shoot the rock/building im hidin' behind(not through it into me), I should miss once or twice shooting back, than hit and the guy is off his feet or vaporized!(like now) just a thought. Same mechanics as now, beam/pulse/blast just needs to be to "hit or no hit". ???
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-19-2010, 10:01 PM
Of course in the 24th century, auto-targeting hasn't been invented yet. Why don't we revert back to slug throwers while we are at it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-20-2010, 03:15 AM
And I think the cool thing would be to have a 1st person shooter in which the aiming hability of my character helps my pointer to keep into the enemy, but in which I shoot by myself with my mouse.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-21-2010, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyMac View Post
Of course in the 24th century, auto-targeting hasn't been invented yet. Why don't we revert back to slug throwers while we are at it.
It clearly hasn't considering how many times *everyone* misses what they are shooting at in the show. Especially in DS9.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-22-2010, 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tain View Post
It clearly hasn't considering how many times *everyone* misses what they are shooting at in the show. Especially in DS9.
Guinan was a pretty good shot. At least, she schooled Worf on the holo-shooting range.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-22-2010, 05:16 AM
I'd like to see less some things normalized, on Elite the shield strengths and HP numbers are simply ridiculous. I was fighting a normal romulan with 1000 shields and nearly 600 HP. I'm an RA and I have less than 300 and my shields DEFINITELY aren't at a 1000. If the enemies had stats like mine, they might go down like you are describing. Of course ships are like that too, I fought a enemy ship with 100000 hull. It's just ridiculous.

Mydeas:

Have my gun point where the beam is going, ie: no more beams coming out of the gun shooting downwards.

Have the potential to miss(?).

Make less shots required and more cover/avoidance. We can dodge grenades, but you can't avoid being shot with phaser fire... ever. They did fix being able to get behind something though, so kudos there.

Also I'd like to see injuries accrued while fighting, both on ground and in space. Instead of getting a warp core breech AFTER you blow up, or a concussion AFTER you revive they'd happen while you are fighting and you could then use engineering teams and spare parts to remove them. On the ground you'd have to wait until combat was over I suppose. But it'd be cool to get that radiation burn from phaser fire because your shields went down and it was hitting bare flesh. Of course, apply them to enemies as well and bam, you've got something awesome going on.

That way after an epic battle you'd need epic repairs. At least on Elite for those of us who like the injuries, just not the system that governs them.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-26-2010, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Whatever the reason was, ground combat in STO feels not like ground combat in the movies.

The space combat might have too many spatial anomalies and too many heals to feel "exact", but the movement and maneuverability and the visuals seem to fit mostly.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyomoto View Post
I
Make less shots required and more cover/avoidance. We can dodge grenades, but you can't avoid being shot with phaser fire... ever. They did fix being able to get behind something though, so kudos there.
This. I feel like a good cover system would improve the playability of ground combat immensely. Also either the weapon strength needs to go up or NPCs need less HPs because I can spend a solid minute or two just shooting at one Klingon before the damn thing dies. This is a serious issue especially against Klingons that seem to only want to engage you at melee range. A solid cover system, slightly rebalanced weapon strength and enemy HP, and improved away team AI I think would get the ground combat portion of the game where it should be.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-05-2011, 10:35 PM
You mean like mass effect 2 style ground combat?
I doubt they can change it that drastically from what we have, to that.
But it would be nice, admittedly.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-06-2011, 03:25 AM
I have played the free demo of Champions Online, and I think I like that ground combat better (and since it hasn't any other type of combat, I should.)

Thinks I would take from that:

CO has Blocks. It is basically a state where you take less damage but are slower.
I could see shields working more like that - to get the most out of your shields (and maybe get it regenerating?) you might have to go into a "block"-position.

In CO, there are attacks that give you energy (apparantly more low damage attacks), and attacks that cost energy (more damage.) That reminds me a little of the Expose/Exploit system. I could see this being superior to it, too. Imagine firing on an opponent and building up "exposure" and then you can use an "exploit" attack to turn that exposure into special effects and damage.

[/random thought]