Lt. Commander
# 1 Counter Task Force: A Proposal
01-08-2011, 05:11 AM
Greetings. Over the last few weeks I've been trying to piece together and finish up an idea I had for more content that I think would make a hell of a great new feature within STO. One aspect of endgame that we have is the STFs... The special task forces, that originally I was reluctant to play but have however been improved. They aren't quite complete yet but leaps and bounds have been made and I've seen the STFs become more popular. People like the 5 player group games and I have come up with a new one. The CTFs or the Counter Task Force.

What is it?
Basically, it's new 5 player task forces with a twist. My idea has a team of 5 Fed players from the rank of Captain upward (I'll explain why from captain later) engaging in a scenario against 5 Klingon players.

Both teams would have a goal to achieve and one such Task Force "story" I had would be of a newly built starbase within the neutral zone. The Klingons have started to take the station in order to obtain defends codes and plans from the database whereas the Fed players must prevent it at all costs by purging or destroying the computer core

Why from Captain rank?
I know how frustrating it is for players of lower ranks to level up to Rear Admiral 3, there were no other missions available and the cluster explorations can be sometimes a chore. Besides, I think it'd be nice to put something like this into the game without it being an endgame exclusive located in Gamma.

By placing these scenarios within the Neutral Zone allows for the war to continue. Season 3 has made leaps and bounds in making my immersion increase due to the Klingons 'invading' new sectors and the weeklies. This would also make more content in which Feds and Klinks can play together without engaging in PvP

Story Ideas
Basically, a few ideas I had for various stories include:

1. Starbase Defense (see above)

2. Diplomacy based battle: in where a criminal of any race is wanted by the Fed and KDF forces. Fight your way to him/her, the Feds want to arrest them and the KDF want to kill them

3. Derelict: a Borg tactical cube has been disabled and Botha sides want to acquire technology from it

All these story ideas also pose potential new rewards. For example, Derelict, could offer a new ship regenerative armour straight from the Tactical cubes hull. Even new sets could be offered and implemented this way... I don't know, I'm just tryingto get ideas going

Counter Task Forces would play like and STF (space then ground then space again) but with a PvP element mixing the best of two worlds and merging them to create a new special multiplayer game to this already awesome game (will butt kissing get me anywhere :p)

If anyone has anything else they can add to this proposal then by all means go ahead

Thanks for reading
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-08-2011, 05:23 AM
I love the idea, the second one where both sides are trying to capture a NPC sounds like a lot of fun. He could be a double spy and he is running from both sides and they are fighting each other and trying to catch the NPC.

I would love to see this type of game play you can get many hours of replay out of stuff like this. Because you are playing real players who don't do the same thing each time.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Thats the aim I was looking for, Im glad you like it. I appreciate all feedback
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Very interesting idea indeed.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-10-2011, 12:15 AM
Thats 2 for 2 now yay

Im just going to say thanks, for the feedback AND to shamelessly bump my thread :p
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-10-2011, 01:02 AM
Add one more to the "Yay" column.

Excellent idea BTW.
Lt. Commander
# 7 Yeah!
01-10-2011, 03:34 AM
Definitely a good idea, and one that would admit of other "more traditional" forms of multiplayer gameplay as well (control points, CTF, whatever...this stuff has been suggested a million times already, but this way of doing it would be cool).
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-10-2011, 04:01 AM
I like it, you got my vote.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Thank you

Thank you

and Thank you, anyone have any other suggestions for stories and/or variations to this proposal?
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Loving this. This is something My fleets would do to each other. =]