Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
The whole story

Not really anything special about it, just a rock-ball orbiting a sun at deadly ranges and incapable of supporting life.

Man. The universe is a depressing place.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-11-2011, 03:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by President_Shinzon View Post
Man. The universe is a depressing place.
....and you've JUST noticed?

lol :p
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-11-2011, 04:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDawson View Post
....and you've JUST noticed?

lol :p
Hardly, but stuff like this is an awesome reminder of how much it really does just grind your face in it.

I think the most overtly depressing thing I ever saw EVER about the universe in general was on this one Science Channel show.

Basically there is a planet with an elliptical orbit. On it's farthest pass it went as far out as Mars, on the way back past the sun it kamikaze's closer than Mercury and completely melts into a glob of lava just to solidify again on it's way out. The worst part? because of the star and the planet's orbit, the thing does this like 4 times per Earth Year.

Even if life did spontaneously spring up over night, it would be charbroiled in months. It's like the cosmic version of falling down an up escalator. Just wish I could remember the designation that it had.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-11-2011, 04:12 AM
Well there is always Gliese 581 d and Gliese 581 g to move to
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-11-2011, 05:21 AM
All of reality is a bit on the depressing side. There is far more empty void than there are material objects in this universe. Even items, which appear solid to us, are primarily empty space. The abyss quite literally permeates every bit of our existence, constantly nipping at us on our own entropic paths to our inevitable ends.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-11-2011, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpVis View Post
The abyss quite literally permeates every bit of our existence, constantly nipping at us on our own entropic paths to our inevitable ends.*
* according to "common knowledge" developed in the most recent 0.1% of humanity's existence....

Don't despair over what "everyone knows to be true" this decade. Remember that the Earth was flat a few generations ago. We have no right to make definitive statements about the nature of the universe, only guesses from a very limited set of data.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-11-2011, 06:47 AM
Well, one could also say the cosmos is full of stuff, as cosmic radiation permeates everything. There are photons and neutrinos and possibly even gravitons flying everywhere!

Though I bet they hate us. I mean, Neutrinos, they barely even interact with us, and photons and gravitons constantly bump into as and drag or push us around.

Looking at it like that - plants live on spite. "I know you photons hate us, that'S why you hit us all the time and try to burn us, but you know what - It just makes us stronger!"
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-11-2011, 07:58 AM
As the article mentions that this is the first rocky planet discovered thus far. So far, all the other planets discovered have all been gas giants or giants of indeterminate materials. It's only a matter of time before we find a planet capable of supporting some kind of life (probably a lot closer than we think...)
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-11-2011, 08:09 AM
Then comes the Goosechase of FTL travel for the dissapointment of the eon. Life discovered: Space Chiapets!

But I kid.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-11-2011, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archanubis
As the article mentions that this is the first rocky planet discovered thus far. So far, all the other planets discovered have all been gas giants or giants of indeterminate materials. It's only a matter of time before we find a planet capable of supporting some kind of life (probably a lot closer than we think...)
Actually it's the first rocky planet discovered by that particular satellite (Kepler) Others have been found inthe past by other means. Like the small rocky worlds of the Gliese 581 system