Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
01-11-2011, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
How long until this one is laughed and and told it isn't a planet anymore? A year? two? a century? I will call none planets until the scientific community makes up it's mind. Till then they are all rocks. grrrrrr
It's supposedly slightly bigger than Earth (1.4 times larger if I recall the article correctly) so it's pretty safe, I think. Apparently, anything smaller than Mercury not orbiting another planet is a planetoid - or whatever.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-11-2011, 12:29 PM
The discovery of a 'rocky' planet orbiting a distant star is an enormous technical achievement by NASA scientist. We, who are jaded by the exploits of our Sci-fi opera heroes, often give little reconciliation to such discoveries. Our heroes warp around this expansive galaxy with little care for either the energies and the science required for the adventure or the actual distances covered in such a journey. I think the discover is amazing and we are one step closer to actually finding a distant planet capable of sustaining life as we know it.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDawson View Post
Who let the 'debt management' Ferengi in? Honestly...
Since when did it require the presence of a Ferengi to recognize opportunity.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
How long until this one is laughed and and told it isn't a planet anymore? A year? two? a century? I will call none planets until the scientific community makes up it's mind. Till then they are all rocks. grrrrrr
The one thing that bothers me about the current definition of a planet is the whole "Cleared their orbital path bit" If you truly look at what's flying around inthe solar system you'd realize that nothing has really REALLY cleared their orbital paths completely. Even if you take out asteroids and comets. Any planet with a Moon hasn't technically cleared it's orbital path. That leaves Mercury as the lone planet in teh solar system (minus counting asteroids/comets)
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by President_Shinzon View Post
Hardly, but stuff like this is an awesome reminder of how much it really does just grind your face in it.

I think the most overtly depressing thing I ever saw EVER about the universe in general was on this one Science Channel show.

Basically there is a planet with an elliptical orbit. On it's farthest pass it went as far out as Mars, on the way back past the sun it kamikaze's closer than Mercury and completely melts into a glob of lava just to solidify again on it's way out. The worst part? because of the star and the planet's orbit, the thing does this like 4 times per Earth Year.

Even if life did spontaneously spring up over night, it would be charbroiled in months. It's like the cosmic version of falling down an up escalator. Just wish I could remember the designation that it had.
See i think opposite to that, such a thing would be beautiful to behold. The only thing depressing about it is that i'll never get to see it as anything more than a computer rendering.

There's a lot out there in space to get excited about without requiring life.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-12-2011, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormoran View Post
There's a lot out there in space to get excited about without requiring life.
But boy, could you imagine the bruhaha that would explode if life was found on other celestial bodies? Even microbial life...
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-12-2011, 05:33 PM
Still waiting on my frigg'n space bus nasa.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFork
Still waiting on my frigg'n space bus nasa.
forget the Space Bus, I was promised flying cars by 2000. I want my flying car!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-13-2011, 12:17 PM
And living in a mars settlement. Don't forget the martian settlements.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-13-2011, 11:33 PM
As good ol' Frank would sing:

Fly me to the moon
and let me play among the stars
let me see what Spring is like on
Jupiter and Mars