Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 BOFF Ground Abilities on Bars?
01-10-2011, 11:37 PM
Quick question that I can't seem to find an answer to in a search:

Is it possible to put my BOFF's ground abilities on my action bars? I'm finding it impossible to get better at ground combat when I have to constantly click on BOFF abilities that I want to use on-demand (like grenades). If I could just drag them onto my bars I could hotkey them, just like I can in space, but so far I can't find a way to do this on ground.

And no, I checked -- my BOFF's ground abilities do not appear on the power list to drag onto the bars, and I can't seem to drag them directly. (Yes, I tried while actually on the ground )

Thanks!!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
01-11-2011, 06:57 AM
I do not believe so but i like the idea.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
01-11-2011, 07:16 AM
nope...for some reason, you can't do it. But I think it has to do with the following:


In space, your BOff abilites become your abilities...all powers originate from your avatar (ie - your ship).


However, on ground, it's not just you. There are NPCs following you, so essentially, you're telling NPCs to use powers (not your avatar). Probably has something to do with the game code and the way the game controls NPCs vs. the Player.

Just a guess.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
01-11-2011, 07:16 AM
There is no way to do this because on the ground your BOffs use their own abilities. There is no need for you to click on them.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
01-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
There is no way to do this because on the ground your BOffs use their own abilities. There is no need for you to click on them.
Well, yes, but I think the idea has merit because if you click on the abilities you can make your Away Team use their abilities when you want them to, not just when they're good and ready to do so.

I find this necessary when teaming with friends because my Medical BOff doesn't seem to want to heal them on her own. She just keeps healing me even when my friend is close to death. And Engineering BOffs laying Mines and setting up Shield Generators just wherever they happen to be. Yeah, pretty useless.


Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
01-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
Well, yes, but I think the idea has merit because if you click on the abilities you can make your Away Team use their abilities when you want them to, not just when they're good and ready to do so.

I find this necessary when teaming with friends because my Medical BOff doesn't seem to want to heal them on her own. She just keeps healing me even when my friend is close to death. And Engineering BOffs laying Mines and setting up Shield Generators just wherever they happen to be. Yeah, pretty useless.


In that case you're turning your attention more towards managing ground combat instead of participating in it. For arguments sake, lets say you can put your BO's abilities into the tray. Now you want your Science officer to heal your friend.
  1. You need to target your friend, so this means you cannot target an enemy and attack.
  2. You need to tell your BO to target that same person.
  3. You need to tell your BO to use the heal ability.

Within those 3 steps you've wasted some time instead of attacking. Don't get me wrong, I understand the purpose of this and I do agree with it, but perhaps there is a better way to do it. For example, Cryptic could change the code so that the Science BOs heal the weakest team member.

To be honest, my opinion of ground combat isn't to strategize with NPC BOs, its to attack and use your skill to give yourself an advantage. On the other hand, teaming with other players and strategizing makes sense.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
01-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
Well, yes, but I think the idea has merit because if you click on the abilities you can make your Away Team use their abilities when you want them to, not just when they're good and ready to do so.

I find this necessary when teaming with friends because my Medical BOff doesn't seem to want to heal them on her own. She just keeps healing me even when my friend is close to death. And Engineering BOffs laying Mines and setting up Shield Generators just wherever they happen to be. Yeah, pretty useless.


^^this

While boffs use their abilities on their own, they use them randomly and not when you want them too. I like to drop all my boff turrets at the beginning of the fight. On their own they sometimes don't drop them all. I click on their powers next to them but it would be much easier to have them all available on my bar.

This may be something in the works for season 4s ground revamp.

One Idea I have is for our kits to function like our ships do in one way. Your kit would open up slots for BO powers based on who you have assigned. A kit would have say a commander slot, lt comm slot etc. this might limit some abilities but offer more flexibility. Just an idea. Reason I think this might work is it would balance ground and space a bit. On your ship you have X number of powers based on your slots. So in space you can run a tac in a sci vessel to make a sort of hybrid build. When you beam down however your role changes back to being just a tac or dpser. So the idea is to keep your role the same in space and ground. The other thing is in space you have X number of bo powers alone or in a group. When you group with someone you double you powers (your plus your teamates). On ground alone you have your powers pluss your BOs, but when a player joins you you lose a set of BO powers in favor of the new players powers. The end result in ground is only increasing your powers by the 4-6 extra powers the second player gives you. Not nearly the 2x powers you would get in space. More development is needed on this idea but hopefully you see my point.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
01-11-2011, 04:01 PM
I don't believe you can put the power items in in the hot tray. But it might be scriptable in you know the magic incantations. But you do have a lot of control over you BO's and the use of their abilities. You tell you BO's to use their abilities on command or NOT use them. I won't go into details here. Just read my Bridge Officer Combat Guide. It covers all of the Away Team Bridge Officers Ground controls and how to use them.

(The guide is linked below in my .sig.)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
01-11-2011, 04:27 PM
I can't remember .. can you keybind BO ground abilities?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
01-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
In that case you're turning your attention more towards managing ground combat instead of participating in it. For arguments sake, lets say you can put your BO's abilities into the tray. Now you want your Science officer to heal your friend.
  1. You need to target your friend, so this means you cannot target an enemy and attack.
  2. You need to tell your BO to target that same person.
  3. You need to tell your BO to use the heal ability.
Well, actually, just don't have to tell your BOff to target that person. When you tell them to use the power, they'll use your current target. And, yes, that is all present tense for a reason. You can currently tell them to use their powers and that's how it works.

It just requires that you move your mouse pointer to the little icons next to the BOff and use the power from there. What the OP is asking for is not having to move the mouse, just being able to hotkey instead.

Now, I can think of several reasons why that isn't in the current design:

1. Places of BOffs aren't consistent. Your Sci BOff might be BOff #1 on one away team mission and #3 on another. Not sure why they don't stay in the order you put them on the away team, but they don't.

2. When you group with players, BOffs get bumped off the team. With the current code base, this would most likely remove the powers from any assigned hotkey slot and you'd have to reassign them the next time. Basing that on how it works in space for the KDF runabout mission.

3. The devs want it to feel more like the BOffs are their own entities and so intentionally make it harder for the player to control them.

4. There just wasn't time to implement it in another way.

Quote:
Within those 3 steps you've wasted some time instead of attacking. Don't get me wrong, I understand the purpose of this and I do agree with it, but perhaps there is a better way to do it. For example, Cryptic could change the code so that the Science BOs heal the weakest team member.
They really should fix that bug, yes. It is stupid that BOffs will only heal their own captain, instead of any player on the team. Of course, it is equally silly that F2 will target a player in the second spot, but not a BOff. Lots of silliness abounds still
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:16 AM.