Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
I"m trying to remember how many unique ground weapons there are. There's the Federation Proton rifle, the Type 2 hand phaser, and the Cryo gun, right?

Any others? I've given them all to my officers, but was wondering if people find them effective with their mains.

Input?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-10-2011, 09:00 AM
I carry the devidian proton rifle on my main. I love watching the chain effect of the secondary attack. Might not be the most powerful, but it certainly is high on the fun scale for me.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-10-2011, 10:10 AM
I wouldn't mind using the Breen cryo gun, but the secondary attack takes WAY too long to fire...something like 5 seconds or more. It's got a good expose effect when it fires, though.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-10-2011, 11:50 AM
I gave the breen gun to the Breen BO who is part of my ground away team, but not in a BO seat in my ship. It works better than the standard gun s/he came with IMO.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-10-2011, 12:07 PM
I usually use the Devidian gun and the TOS rifle when I'm soloing. Got into Infected and The Cure this weekend for the first time in a long time with my ENG and used the Breen Ice Maker pretty much all of both runs. It was nice because it's one (if not the only) weapon whose number #1 attack is an expose on top of the usual #2. I thought it was nice that way. The special attack takes a little getting used to. It's a good opener or mid-fight ability because if you wait much longer, the mob you're targeting could be dead by the time it fires. Just takes some getting used to.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-10-2011, 12:17 PM
I hate the sound effect of the federation phaser rifle, it just grates my ears. The devidian gun is pretty good though
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-10-2011, 10:16 PM
I was looking on the exchange and I saw a Federation Type 1 phaser (as opposed to the type 2 you get at the end of the devidian episodes). How do you get the type 1? I haven't seen it in game before.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-10-2011, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpell
I was looking on the exchange and I saw a Federation Type 1 phaser (as opposed to the type 2 you get at the end of the devidian episodes). How do you get the type 1? I haven't seen it in game before.
It's a new weapon added to one of the Klingon Front missions. I think it's the one with Guardian of Forever.

It's only green though and at VA its DPS is 19.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-11-2011, 06:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertwin View Post
I hate the sound effect of the federation phaser rifle, it just grates my ears. The devidian gun is pretty good though
I love the sound...I always smile when I hear a fellow player using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablachere
I usually use the Devidian gun and the TOS rifle when I'm soloing.
Is there a particular reason you use them, or is it just a style choice? Anything in particular about them you find useful?
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-11-2011, 10:51 AM
My main primarily uses both the Proton rifle and a high-end sniper rifle and I switch back and forth to mitigate cooldowns and take advantage of exposes as they happen. (And I make sure my BO's have good expose weapons!) I like the chained lightning effect of the Proton rifle. However, the Proton Rifle exploit shot does take a couple of seconds to complete and do the full damage. Rate of fire is overall slower than even a sniper rifle, or so it seems to me. As a Science officer, I probably would not use the Proton rifle in PvP.

The Cryo rifle stays in the hands of my Breen Tac officer, who is always on the ground with me. He's one of the reasons I get so many chances to use an exploit shot. I might borrow it if I get around to doing any PvP, though.

One weapon I really, really liked using was the Rare Overcharged Plasma Sniper Rifle. Damage output is fantastic at the rank you get it at (Captain, I think?) and holds up well even into higher ranks. I forget which mission offers it as a reward.