Lt. Commander
# 1 Strange graphic problem
01-11-2011, 05:45 PM
Alrighty, so I'm having a rather bizarre graphic problem and I'm not sure what to do about it. Basically at seemingly random intervals, on both ground and space, my game suddenly drops from silky smooth to a slide show. During this time I also see weird black streaks run across the floors and walls and sometimes in the dialogue box. After several minutes like this, the game then returns to being silky smooth and the streaks vanish. This can happen several times during a mission. For the most part though, the game is smooth for me.

Now, here's where things get even weirder. I recently finished the Breen feature episodes and got myself the CRM 200 Cryobeam weapon. I found that using this weapon when the game is freaking out actually fixes it. So when I'm on the ground and the game suddenly drops to slide show and the black streaks appear, I can shoot the weapon (either primary or secondary fire, it doesn't seem to matter) the game goes right back to silky smooth and the streaks vanish. As a temporary measure, I only use the Cryobeam now and I never see the slow downs on ground combat. Space still suffers these slow downs.

Right now I'm using a 8800GTX SLI with a Q6600 processor. Steps I have taken to resolve the issue are as follows: I updated my drivers to a new one and still have the same issue on both the old and new drivers. I messed around with various graphic options (both in game and on the Nvidia control panel) and have the issue no matter what. I also tried playing other MMOs and do not have this issue. I was able to play the RIFT beta all this last weekend with no problems at all. FFXIV works fine as well.

I haven't heard of anyone else with this problem, so I'm pretty sure it's something on my end. However, I will say that STO used to run perfectly just after Season 1 hit. I took some time off from the game and came back right after Season 3 dropped. Perhaps something in Season 3 is messing me up? I'm not sure. I didn't report this as a bug since I'm not really sure that it's even a bug and not a problem on my end.

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts on this?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-11-2011, 06:55 PM
have you got vsnyc on that helps with the frame tearing (aka black streaks)
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Yeah, I've tried using it in the in game menu and also in the Nvidia control panel. It has an option to force Vsync on, but it didn't seem to make a difference when I tried it. I don't have it set to force on right now though, I have it set to use the 3D applications settings, which the game has listed as "on" right now.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-12-2011, 10:28 PM
Hmm, no other suggestions about this? I still can't get it to run properly. While it is somewhat amusing that my Cryobeam fixes the problem temporarily, it's really quite aggravating.
Lt. Commander
# 5 Me too!!
02-13-2011, 12:49 AM
Just been having a browse through the forums for something related to this exact problem. I also had a perfect season 1, and most of 2. Sometimes a patch solved this issue, but then it returned. Now it is happening all the time. Start off smooth as anything, then about 2 minutes of stutter/slideshow, then return to normal and so on until I lose patience.

I'm using a Core2Duo and Nvidia 7600GS which I know isn't the fastest but it has, and does run smoothly when it wants. I also use STO on a really old laptop, with really low graphics settings, but it is smooth the whole way through, but hardly the best gaming experience!

Just wondering if my graphics card is on its way out, but Windows seems to be running fine. STO is about the only other game I play so might be worth having a go at another one!!