Lt. Commander
So after reading the latest Ask Cryptic for January, watching this weeks episode of STOked, and chatting with my roomie, I had an inspiration for "Ship Interior class-specific emergency situations" that could spawn after combat ends in any Exploration mission. Though there are several ways to do it that cold be generic and non-class-specific, the fact is that YOU are the Captain because you're damn good in your field AND good at command; so why would your crew NOT defer to you in extreme circumstances when the problem is in your field of experience? And why not make these "mini-missions" class-based? We've seen through the Featured Episodes that they can create class-specific options for missions, so that part is easy.

The basic premis is that, in any random space exploration map that features combat, after defeating the last "boss" NPC ship, there would be a chance of spawning one of these "mini-missions".

Now, I wandered the forums a bit but didn't find anything quite like these, but if this kind of idea has already been posted, I apologize.

Here's a basic gist of my ideas; these examples are for class-specific mini-missions, though there's no reason to not have some generic ones thrown in for all classes:

Engineering - Prevent a Warp Core Breech
EG: "Captain! That last shot we took hit us pretty hard; it knocked out (random number between 3 and 6) of the primary and secondary EPS transfer nodes! The deuterium tank restriction couplings are beginning to fail! We need you in Main Engineering! We're looking at a warp core breech in a few minutes!"
  • Mini-game of bypassing and re-routing systems & energy flows to prevent Warp Core overload.
  • in Main Engineering of ship interior
  • Utilizes various engineering consoles to activate or deactivate various systems.

Tactical - Boarding Party in Ships Lounge
EG: "Captain, sensors picked up some kind of energy surge from the enemy vessel as that last shot hit our shields; the weapons fire disrupted sensors for a few seconds, I'm having trouble determining what it... Intruder alert! We have boarding parties in the main lounge!"
  • Boarding party with enemy captain was able to sneak through the shields & beam aboard; defeat boarding party.
  • in Main Lounge of ship interior
  • Ground combat

Science - Radiation hazard from damaged systems (med OR sci solution, varies)
EG: "Captain, that last hit caused a rupture in some of the EPS cooling manifolds on deck 7; we've got a plasma fire on that deck! Suppression systems are offline, environmental controls are locked on manual in the science lab! Sickbay reports (between 3 & 6) crew injured with severe plasma burns and radiation poisoning!"
  • Mini-games of either adjusting environmental systems to counteract the plasma fire or treating radiation poisoning of random NPC crew members.
  • Done in either Science Lab or Main Sickbay of ship interior, respectively
  • Utilizes various consoles to adjust various chemical compounds in the air circulation or different background energy levels to negate radiation, or various medical hypo-sprays to heal radiation damage to specific injured crew in sickbay.

I had some more elaborate ideas and puzzles, but none that can be easily implemented without additional mini-games like the ones that Cryptic had bought the images/concepts for from ThomasTheCat. Honestly, I'd love having these kinds of mini-missions as random extras thrown into the Exploration missions, just to spice things up sometimes. Too often would get dull, unless they were able to come up with several different scenarios for each class. This would also make ship interiors feel more useful, and help players feel more attached to their ships, I think. For people that don't want to do them, I'd say give them an option to tell the crew to take care of it, then give the ship an "injury" instead (depending on the games difficulty setting, of course).
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-12-2011, 12:01 PM
This is a good idea. Missions in your interior are always cool sounding in my book.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-12-2011, 12:08 PM
I like your ideas......
It's a brilliant starting point for making interiors actually have a point.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Agreed... this would be a cool addition to the game.

Hopefully the mini-missions wouldn't all be "class-based" as personally I'm not a huge fan of class-based objectives. I get where they're going with class-based objectives in trying to appeal to the players who feel each mission should be played with a human (human = non-BO character ) tac, human sci and human engi on a "team" but I always have and always will prefer doing story based missions with just my BOs.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-12-2011, 09:30 PM
Thanks for your support, guys ^_^ I updated the OP slightly.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-12-2011, 11:20 PM
I think this is an awesome idea. Giving the ship interiors a purpose, involving the captain's profession, showing that our crew relies on us as we rely on them, and it's something that both factions could benefit from. Each profession has many things that could potentially require our involvement, so there's definitely room for variety.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-12-2011, 11:22 PM
What a great idea!!! I love it!!! Have it be random and not EVERY time and would be very cool!!! Keeps you on your toes!!! You never know when it is coming! What kind of reward would be appropiate for saving the day in the nth hour be?
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-13-2011, 01:35 AM
Caveat: It would involve editing each and every space exploration mission to allow for this. Unless the mission engine for STO supports chance-based mission scripts to run, I dont see this taking off anytime soon.

The idea, however, is excellent, and I wholly support it as long as its doable
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-13-2011, 05:19 AM
I think ship repairs should be handled from the engineering room and Medical injuries in the sick bay. This and your idea of mini missions would give me a reason to actually move around the ship. I'd like it to be much more than just clicking on an npc.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-13-2011, 06:49 AM
I really like this idea! Right now whole interior feels quite useless. What this would require is to have enough variation. If there is say only 5 different missions then there is risk that they will quickly become repetitive and boring. I would also include either part of mission (like checking where some kind of 'mysterious problem' is) or completely separete missions to bridge to utilize it aswell.

In my opinion this should be high priority issue in Cryptic's development as right now they basicly have totally useless map.