Lt. Commander
# 101
01-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstocbr
Wow .... Just Wow.... "alleviate some of your concerns" ... this is exactly what I was fearing .
LOL I am not sure how to respond so I will just stop here and visit the SWTOR site.

This is insane
Yes i agree, i liked STO cause it was differant , it broke away from the standard MMO form, it seemed to be a new generation of MMO's , now the darned Store ruins it all again, it just stinks as everything seems to be store this store that, when is SWTOR out lol
Lt. Commander
# 102
01-12-2011, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
Can I have your stuff? :p
Sure ... wait ... all Bound LOL :p

(Not realy leaving, just too addicted, but still going to play SWTOR)
Lt. Commander
# 103
01-12-2011, 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fewzz View Post
Yes i agree, i liked STO cause it was differant , it broke away from the standard MMO form, it seemed to be a new generation of MMO's , now the darned Store ruins it all again, it just stinks as everything seems to be store this store that, when is SWTOR out lol
If you missed it in the other thread, you're getting a free shuttle.

It won't be the Delta Flyer but you're still getting a free one. That's a zero-sum game.
Lt. Commander
# 104
01-12-2011, 07:34 PM
Our research supports that not everyone is "powerleveling" in the ways you'd expect and we've had numerous requests to add the feature. Since Champs is already intending to add the feature, it was an easy thing to get into the game. Having it in the C-Store and as a rare drop ensures that it is not a standard way we expect players to play. Heck - even Jack has complained that he wants XP boosts so he can level up his Klingon faster. I'm inclined to think this is ok and helps the vast majority of players who have never made it to Captain rank or higher. (yes I said VAST majority and I mean it). Not everyone is a Vice Admiral nor does everyone who plays Star Trek online have hours upon hours to play the game.

It will be a rare thing to get one of these things in game, and it will be a real money option for those who want to pay for the convenience.
Lt. Commander
# 105
01-12-2011, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fewzz View Post
Thing is , theres hardly any content in this game , you end game in a very very short time , id like to see the xp needed to level actually raised , now they want to sell xp boosts , STO the arcade game should be its new name.

XP Boosts at this stage of the game, sorry but it is a simple money grab , next stage seems to be FTP and could be very cmuch closer than we ever thought, and with all this C store rubbish it should be FTP yesterday.
These are the issues:

1. Leveling is already pretty fast.

2. This is a money grab.

My replies:

1. Add more content, maybe provide a way for people with 1 or 2 max level characters to get an XP boost, but don't make people go through the small amount faster!

2. STO can go F2P - in fact, it's perfectly all right if it does. What it should NOT do is add tons and tons of things like XP boosts to the C Store when it does. You either have a subscription based hybrid F2P model, or you have a nickel-and-dime money grubbing F2P model. I don't know if that's the truth to the matter, but that's the way I (and possibly others) will see it. If we show our disapproval of the latter model (the jerk wallet grabber one) now, we might not have to see it if/when STO goes F2P.

Although given that CO has competition from not only CoX, but DCU now, and soon TOR, I wonder if it will do well enough to justify a F2P for STO.
Lt. Commander
# 106
01-12-2011, 07:38 PM
Also, consider this: With most of the players at or near the level cap, there will be more pressure than ever for cryptic to add "endgame" content to the game, since most of the players will have nothing to do and will be frothing for new content.
Lt. Commander
# 107
01-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
... vast majority of players who have never made it to Captain rank or higher. (yes I said VAST majority and I mean it).

Thats what separates the men from the boys :p

I'm very addicted to this game. I don't have a problem with C-Store, or the F2P Hybrid Model (Ask Nagus about that ). I only have one VA btw. The issue I have is players obtaining an unfair advantage over others from the C-Store. Ingame rare drops are ok with me as people have to work for them.
Lt. Commander
# 108
01-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Quote:
...even Jack has complained that he wants XP boosts so he can level up his Klingon faster... the vast majority of players who have never made it to Captain rank or higher.
I'm somewhat mollified by the entirety of your quote, but it seems to me that the issue with Klingons is not enough content, not slow leveling. As far as players not getting to Captain, is that because they play slowly, or because they stopped playing shortly after launch, deciding the game didn't have enough content? Or are many of these players still active? I'm not trying to imply anything (other than the fact that there is a lack of content depending on who you ask) just curious as to the status of these non-captains.

In other news, thanks everyone for turning this thread into the big thing it has become. I sort of turned up the inflammatory rhetoric a bit, I'm glad the issue is being discussed so well.

edit: is there some way to get this vast majority to use the forums? I know the Advisory thing didn't work out, is there any way to reach them?
Lt. Commander
# 109
01-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Quote:
I'm inclined to think this is ok and helps the vast majority of players who have never made it to Captain rank or higher. (yes I said VAST majority and I mean it). Not everyone is a Vice Admiral nor does everyone who plays Star Trek online have hours upon hours to play the game.
I'd be interested to know how you arrived at that figure. Did you just count all characters who are not VA? All characters from active accounts? Did you discount accounts that DO have a VA?

Everyone has time. Not everyone has lots of disposable income or even necessarily the way to get hold of it to give you.
Lt. Commander
# 110
01-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Our research supports that not everyone is "powerleveling" in the ways you'd expect and we've had numerous requests to add the feature. Since Champs is already intending to add the feature, it was an easy thing to get into the game. Having it in the C-Store and as a rare drop ensures that it is not a standard way we expect players to play. Heck - even Jack has complained that he wants XP boosts so he can level up his Klingon faster. I'm inclined to think this is ok and helps the vast majority of players who have never made it to Captain rank or higher. (yes I said VAST majority and I mean it). Not everyone is a Vice Admiral nor does everyone who plays Star Trek online have hours upon hours to play the game.

It will be a rare thing to get one of these things in game, and it will be a real money option for those who want to pay for the convenience.
Can we see these stats if possible?
I just dont beleive most have never got to captain rank , i dont believe that one bit.
Most have got to that rank with not one but numerous characters , i hope your not counting theones that made a character then left lol.

There is no xp really to boost , and in my eyes its now dragged the store into a proper ftp store.

So when are you expecting to go FTP , it must be planned and closer than we all think yes?