Lt. Commander
# 121
01-12-2011, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Our research supports that not everyone is "powerleveling" in the ways you'd expect and we've had numerous requests to add the feature. Since Champs is already intending to add the feature, it was an easy thing to get into the game. Having it in the C-Store and as a rare drop ensures that it is not a standard way we expect players to play. Heck - even Jack has complained that he wants XP boosts so he can level up his Klingon faster. I'm inclined to think this is ok and helps the vast majority of players who have never made it to Captain rank or higher. (yes I said VAST majority and I mean it). Not everyone is a Vice Admiral nor does everyone who plays Star Trek online have hours upon hours to play the game.

It will be a rare thing to get one of these things in game, and it will be a real money option for those who want to pay for the convenience.
Sounds very reasonable. It should go forward.
Lt. Commander
# 122
01-12-2011, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daevian
It's about what's fair. I'll use you as a pie-in-the-sky example compared to me.

We both pay a monthly sub. We both have access to the same game. However, it seems because you have more money than me, Cryptic is increasingly adding things to the C-Store that allow you to do things better or quicker than me. It's not too bad right now, but this is just another step on the downward slope.

You start off by establishing economic equality ("We both pay a monthly sub.") then complain that someone else is contributing more money to play through the game faster but not better.

You will still be able to level and play-as-well-as-the next. You will still be bored at endgame. The difference is that you'll be bored later than someone.

Your personal experiences were never affected by them reaching the cap faster - which answers my question: you weren't affected and a slippery slope is an informal fallacy - you should know that.
Lt. Commander
# 123
01-12-2011, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDave View Post
Meh, sounds like they're trying to fix the "lack of content" in a quick manner. Especially for Klingons.
OMG you're still around.

And yeah. Instead of actually fixing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felderburg View Post
SquidheadJax, I always found your unfailing cynicism to be a good thing to have, a sort of counterpoint to keep things in check. Unfortunately, it seems you may be more and more correct to have said views. XP boosts in the C Store is a dangerous thing, and can only lead to more stuff on the C Store. Sure, it helps pay for content and such, but there are plenty of games that don't have the extensive microtransaction store STO has, and they still manage to put out content in a timely fashion.
Eh. At least they're claiming they plan on having an in-game means for it. Which is positive. Now if they'd apply that to the other game-altering things that are already there, it'd be nice. And a miracle.

Also, I'd be entirely unsurprised if that in-game means ends up failing to actually materialize.
Lt. Commander
# 124
01-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
So, most likely, DStahl probably pulled a report asking for the total number of current subscribers, and another that asks for the total number of current subscribers who have at least one character at max level.
I could write the database query to do that myself I'd be pretty worried if you couldn't do that with your database. With the ease statistics are manipulated and bandied about these days, I was simply looking for clarification as to how this number was reached. You've told me how it might have been reached (and believe me, I appreciate the response) but that isn't conclusive.
Lt. Commander
# 125
01-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daevian
It's about what's fair. I'll use you as a pie-in-the-sky example compared to me.

We both pay a monthly sub. We both have access to the same game. However, it seems because you have more money than me, Cryptic is increasingly adding things to the C-Store that allow you to do things better or quicker than me. It's not too bad right now, but this is just another step on the downward slope.
I have money, you have time; we both arrive at VA, but my cost is $ and yours is minutes of play time. There is no difference unless you feel that your time is worthless.

What is the argument that you're trying to make here? Is it a "slippery slope" to charge money for an item that will ultimately have an extremely minimal effect on the game (since all players are limited by the level cap)?
If your fear is that a player will level faster than you, maybe you should be complaining about people who figured out how to game various missions so they can level as efficiently as possible. I mean, they're doing something better than you, so clearly they're not playing the way that you want and they're ruining your game experience through some nebulous logical process.
Lt. Commander
# 126
01-12-2011, 07:03 PM
I play alot but i dont do these daillys , i havent the stomach to keep repeating same thing.
I see players sitting at dock proud they got to where they are with there new big ship and all.
Now youll see someone sitting next to them with the same and done not much to get it.

What ever (ftp) mmo started this should be burned lol , oh well buy the boosters if you like for a few pound , but the excuse that you dont have time is a little limp when even casual play will end game you in a very short time, plus if you havent the time maybe a mmo isnt for you.

This is just the start to a proper ftp store , only with a sub as well , soon you can buy a sub on c store
Lt. Commander
# 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
Eh. At least they're claiming they plan on having an in-game means for it. Which is positive. Now if they'd apply that to the other game-altering things that are already there, it'd be nice. And a miracle.

Also, I'd be entirely unsurprised if that in-game means ends up failing to actually materialize.
That's a positive I see.

The other positive is that all the people that don't realize this is available in-game will be providing funding for the game - which can be spent on actually making something for us to do at end-game.
Lt. Commander
# 128
The only problem that I have with this item is that - for a Fed character - the leveling speed is insanely fast in the first place, so it doesn't seem necessary by any possible stretch of my imagination for this on a Federation character.

Now, a Klingon character is a whole different story. The grind is absolutely unbearable to go from Lt. 6 to Lt. General in STO, and there seems to be no plans to change that any time this calendar year. As such, I see no problem whatsoever with adding an XP boost for Klingons. Since I don't think any faction should be favored, I can't in good conscience say that it should be a Klingon only item.

In conclusion, +1 to XP boosts.
Lt. Commander
# 129
01-12-2011, 07:05 PM
my only remark, create a max-level limitation for the usage of that consumables...
Lt. Commander
# 130
01-12-2011, 07:05 PM
I have no problem with this. If you dont want to use it, dont. If others do, that wont effect your gameplay. If anything, maybe it will mean more PvP since it will provide a faster way to get to max level. I dont plan on buying any myself, but why should I care what other people want to do?