Lt. Commander
# 31
01-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felderburg View Post
From the latest Engineering Report:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
[*]Ways to boost XP gain while leveling up (new type of consumables)
STO does not need these. First off, this is a stereotypical microtransaction item - whether or not STO goes F2P, it's a money grab from the wallets of impatient/lazy/bored of the grind people. Secondly, the complaints about leveling speed on the forums are about the speed of leveling - and no, it's not because it's too slow.

STO does not need this gameplay affecting item in the C Store - or at all.
I must agree. We don't need things to speed up leveling.

However, I would like to see the ability to do level matching or turn off leveling. This was a really welcome addition to CoX as it allowed players to continue playing characters without outpacing their friends. STO could use it too.

Lt. Commander
# 32
01-12-2011, 02:15 PM
I would only like to see them in game if the following is true

1: NOT C-Store i.e looted or alternatively(i prefer) purchased as consumables
That way when you are levelling an alt you can take some of the time out.

2: Only say +10% xp for maybe 30 minutes

3: not useable tog et xp form mission hand ins..only for xp from in mission actions
Lt. Commander
# 33
01-12-2011, 02:16 PM
Ultimately I think the better rout would be to have this as an unlockable for those with at least one high level char already.

Maybe have it unlock as a c-store option or as a crafting option where the xp potions are bound to the account so that you can also share the xp potions with your alts and not other players.
Alts I imagine is where the real demand will be anyways.
Lt. Commander
# 34
01-12-2011, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martok42 View Post
For the main reason of, there is already NO ONE at these levels for PvP, Fleet actions, Raids, and of these, and we now want to give them a "Skip this level" button to reduce this number further?
I do believe that people who want to level as fast as possible do not spend much time in the lower PvP tiers, simply because it's faster to do other stuff. Basically: nothing would change.

This is exactly what I do with my alts, by the way. Whenever I PvP on one of my non-main characters it's an exception from the rule because I feel like it.

I am usually the first to argue that "the path is its own reward" when it comes to progression and leveling in MMOs (especially since I'm a roleplayer, which means I am used to an extremely slow leveling speed as I often get "distracted" by RP), but this is only true as long as the path is fun. Which simply is not always the case, depending on the faction and the mission tier, and your personal preferences (meaning what you intend to do with this character and what ship you are going for).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martok42 View Post
And they are right, there are mega-gamers who already complain because they maxed "x" amount of characters in "n" amount of days.
So then you can throw them a "well shouldn't have purchased XP boosts, genius" in their face instead of being forced to agree that the game is to blame. Their complaints do not become less valid, not more. Again: nothing would change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axterix
Yup, I wouldn't use them. But since they are expendable and don't really matter, if others want to pay Cryptic to save some time, I'm fine with it. That money can go to developing other content or keeping prices on things like ships reasonable.
Indeed.

I maintain the following:
  • People leveling alts won't have to spend as much time to get them where they want to be.
  • People who do not buy these still profit from Cryptic having a bigger budget at their disposal.
  • XP Boosts affect noone's gameplay except the player using them. Except if you're the jealous kind of player.
Win-win situation for everyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meesora
Ultimately I think the better rout would be to have this as an unlockable for those with at least one high level char already. Maybe have it unlock as a c-store option
Not a bad idea.
Lt. Commander
# 35
01-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daevian
The traditional counter-argument to this is that MMO gaming is competitive and that you should not be able to buy your way to the top.
I don't buy that. (No pun intended. Well, okay, it was but it's irrelevant.)

I can't say I play a lot of MMO's, but I am quite aware that Commercialized Power Leveling and Gold Farming is pervasive across the industry. I can't tell you how much chat spam I saw advertising that service while playing "City of Heroes". As much as MMO publishers try to stamp them out, they're still around.

The fact of the matter is that there are those who can and do buy their way to the top, if they're determined to do so. They want all of the cool and shiny toys that the elite players get their hands on, and they don't care about how they get them. Like it or not, they pay to play the game too.

That said, there are some things that should ONLY be available through game play, so the aforementioned Elite players can display their accomplishments. The Borg STF set being one good example.
Lt. Commander
# 36
01-12-2011, 02:23 PM
I am a bit amussed by all this discussion :p

So the point of the XP Boosting consumable is to speed up the process to level faster right? Why go to the trouble then - lets start everyone off as a Vice Admiral when then first start?

It doesnt make business sense and does not encourage players to play the game long term. Respec, Rename, Species Change, Gender Change, Career Change, XP Boost are lazy concepts for MMO's imo (& yes I have Respected & renamed and I would prob pay for a Species change :p).
Lt. Commander
# 37
01-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
However, I would like to see the ability to do level matching or turn off leveling. This was a really welcome addition to CoX as it allowed players to continue playing characters without outpacing their friends. STO could use it too.

I'm okay with this idea.
Lt. Commander
# 38
01-12-2011, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xceptionzero View Post
I would only like to see them in game if the following is true

1: NOT C-Store i.e looted or alternatively(i prefer) purchased as consumables
That way when you are levelling an alt you can take some of the time out.

2: Only say +10% xp for maybe 30 minutes

3: not useable tog et xp form mission hand ins..only for xp from in mission actions
Hey these ideas are not bad at all. Also, maybe you could buy a 30min Token with GPL :p
Lt. Commander
# 39
01-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstocbr
I am a bit amussed by all this discussion :p

So the point of the XP Boosting consumable is to speed up the process to level faster right? Why go to the trouble then - lets start everyone off as a Vice Admiral when then first start?

It doesnt make business sense and does not encourage players to play the game long term. Respec, Rename, Species Change, Gender Change, Career Change, XP Boost are lazy concepts for MMO's imo (& yes I have Respected & renamed and I would prob pay for a Species change :p).
It does make sense if you are going for a F2P model.

Just sayin...
Lt. Commander
# 40
01-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck360
It does make sense if you are going for a F2P model.

Just sayin...
Actually that is exactly what you would find in a F2P model, and it was almost the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread.

On one hand I think it has been said no at least not any time soon, then there is this lol.