Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 41
01-12-2011, 04:00 PM
ahh, this sure is an interesting response to the threads i've read of people wanting to pause their xp gain...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 42
01-12-2011, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meesora
Actually that is exactly what you would find in a F2P model, and it was almost the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread.

On one hand I think it has been said no at least not any time soon, then there is this lol.
The new engineering report makes it appear like Cryptic is going to now take a wait and see approach with CO going F2P.

If CO does well - like DDO or LoTRO well - I'm sure we will see STO going F2P also. But I'm willing to guess that that is sometime down the road.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 43
01-12-2011, 04:03 PM
At no point does it say those items are "for the cstore"

They might be craftables. They might be unlocks from Duty Officers. We don't know.

So, chill out before you burn out.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 44
01-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felderburg View Post
From the latest Engineering Report:



STO does not need these. First off, this is a stereotypical microtransaction item - whether or not STO goes F2P, it's a money grab from the wallets of impatient/lazy/bored of the grind people. Secondly, the complaints about leveling speed on the forums are about the speed of leveling - and no, it's not because it's too slow.

STO does not need this gameplay affecting item in the C Store - or at all.
God no..at least not if it is a c-store item. If it is a in-game item maybe but only fr lower tiers
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 45
01-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck360
The new engineering report makes it appear like Cryptic is going to now take a wait and see approach with CO going F2P.

If CO does well - like DDO or LoTRO well - I'm sure we will see STO going F2P also. But I'm willing to guess that that is sometime down the road.
Aye, and not too go too far off the path here.
F2P is not an auto doom and gloom for a game, just look at guild wars, heck , guild wars is going on to a sequal to boot and it's F2P and if I heard correctly so will GW2.

I am not plugging for that game, just saying if a game goes F2P does not mean it is nec in dire straights, some games seem to be doing pretty well under that model.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 46
01-12-2011, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
I must agree. We don't need things to speed up leveling.

However, I would like to see the ability to do level matching or turn off leveling. This was a really welcome addition to CoX as it allowed players to continue playing characters without outpacing their friends. STO could use it too.


Level matching is already in the game.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 47
01-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meesora
Aye, and not too go too far off the path here.
F2P is not an auto doom and gloom for a game, just look at guild wars, heck , guild wars is going on to a sequal to boot and it's F2P and if I heard correctly so will GW2.

I am not plugging for that game, just saying if a game goes F2P does not mean it is nec in dire straights, some games seem to be doing pretty well under that model.
I absolutely agree.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 48
01-12-2011, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daevian
People can and do, if they have plenty of money and little time. It's happened before in other games and it can/will happen in this one too. The cry then is that you're creating a two-tier system, where people who have the money can pay for stuff that gives them an advantage over people who, through low income, cannot buy things like that and are stuck in the "slow" lane of getting things done, penalizing them for not having money.
The typical player won't spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to level a character, and most can't afford to. So on a scale, this will very likely be an extreme minority of players.

Further, we don't yet know if these will be consumables, or how much XP boost it will be, or for how long. Before jumping to conclusions, I suggest we find out what Cryptic has in mind and then discuss it further when the facts are known and we have more than rampant speculation alone to base our opinions and various for/against arguments on. The sky is not going to fall, and they won't do something that will ruin the game. Trust me when I say that they have a very vested interest in the success of the game.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 49
01-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormoran View Post
ahh, this sure is an interesting response to the threads i've read of people wanting to pause their xp gain...
They are an extremely small minority of players. Typically the majority wins out. It is by no means ideal, but it is a reality most of the time.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 50
01-12-2011, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
At no point does it say those items are "for the cstore"

They might be craftables. They might be unlocks from Duty Officers. We don't know.

So, chill out before you burn out.
Exactly. I don't see why people panic before they know what the facts are. Seems to happen often. I'm sure that whatever implementation of this they end up doing, it won't be as bad as feared by some.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:52 PM.