Lt. Commander
# 51
01-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas-
Exactly. I don't see why people panic before they know what the facts are. Seems to happen often. I'm sure that whatever implementation of this they end up doing, it won't be as bad as feared by some.
Traditionally, these sorts of items come into player hands in 3 situations:

1. Sold in something like the C-store.
2. Tied to Veteran rewards, recruiting, or special time limited incentives.
3. Reward for a seasonal event.

I doubt that Cryptic would vary from that. Given that STO has no seasonal events, I would expect 1 and 2 to be the case.
Lt. Commander
# 52
01-12-2011, 04:21 PM
I would be ok with this in the condition that to be able to get it (in game) would be that you already have a character at Admiral. This way you HAVE to get your first character through on your own.
Lt. Commander
# 53
01-12-2011, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meesora
Actually that is exactly what you would find in a F2P model, and it was almost the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread.

On one hand I think it has been said no at least not any time soon, then there is this lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck360
It does make sense if you are going for a F2P model.

Just sayin...
Exactly. I'm not against F2P (in fact I bought a lifetime partially because STO might go F2P) but I don't want to see the C Store become flooded with XP-boosting items, super-hyposprays, rare anomaly finders, or things like that. There is a post here: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...&postcount=544 that illustrates what I am concerned about. I don't think it will be quite what is described in that post, and that poster is notably biased, but it might help explain what I'm getting at. First XP-boosts (in the C Store), then what?

It's all well and good to chill out, and I know we don't know anything about this other than one line in the report, but I'd rather not wait until they become a C Store item to protest them becoming a C Store item.
Lt. Commander
# 54
01-12-2011, 04:26 PM
A friend told me that this would be a big boon to KDF leveling, because they have limited PvE compared to Federation characters. It might breath new life into the KDF, depending on how it is implemented.
Lt. Commander
# 55
01-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axterix
Traditionally, these sorts of items come into player hands in 3 situations:

1. Sold in something like the C-store.
2. Tied to Veteran rewards, recruiting, or special time limited incentives.
3. Reward for a seasonal event.

I doubt that Cryptic would vary from that. Given that STO has no seasonal events, I would expect 1 and 2 to be the case.
Yes, we know F2P item shops have XP boosters.

Keep in mind that the Veteran's Reward Program has a built-in XP booster. Hardly anyone complained about that- the only complaints were "OMG! THE SUBS WILL HAZ THE CAPTAIN"S TABLE! GAMEIS RUINEDZ!!!!!!!"

So, before we jump to conclusions and with the knowledge that a slew of new craftables and unlocks are tied into the Duty officer - let's hold a collective breath before anyone before anyone tests their patellar reflex anymore.
Lt. Commander
# 56
01-12-2011, 04:37 PM
canít wait it see if these are c-store, vet reward or reward in general give out on the 1 year anniversary like in co. maybe it will be a combination of all 3 either way I'm happy to see them in.
Lt. Commander
# 57
01-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Yes, we know F2P item shops have XP boosters.

Keep in mind that the Veteran's Reward Program has a built-in XP booster. Hardly anyone complained about that- the only complaints were "OMG! THE SUBS WILL HAZ THE CAPTAIN"S TABLE! GAMEIS RUINEDZ!!!!!!!"

So, before we jump to conclusions and with the knowledge that a slew of new craftables and unlocks are tied into the Duty officer - let's hold a collective breath before anyone before anyone tests their patellar reflex anymore.
..and when saying that darren did you forget what forum you're on? :p:p
Lt. Commander
# 58
01-12-2011, 04:59 PM
Wait, Cryptic actually thinks that we level up too slowly or something? Come ON, Cryptic... you need to add content and missions and LOWER experience so it takes longer to hit the max level instead of the opposite.
Lt. Commander
# 59
01-12-2011, 05:04 PM
I'm not against xp boosters. And I'm not against xp boosters in the C-Srore. Options are IMHO always a good thing.

However here is an alternate idea I had in another thread. I just feel that

A. Taking a consumable to increase XP is to much like taking a steroid. Which doesn't fit trek at all.

B. Again adding something like this to the C-Store only takes away from the possibility of adapting this idea to fit into the overall Star Trek universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikoy
I'd still love to see Risa used for the XP boost Dstahl talks about. Instead of making it a consumable, which honestly makes no sense at all(sounds way to much like steroids to me), we would have to goto Risa and initiate shore leave before logging out. This would work similar to how WOW's system works with rest XP. Once we logged off there would be an internal timer. It would add a bonus to our xp gain once we logged back in comparable to how log we were logged off. IF we are logged off for an hour we will get only a very tiny xp bonus, if a whole day a little more, and a whole week will give us a ton of xp boost. All this would be indicated by a highlighted portion of your xp bar to indicate how much XP boost we have gained while logged off. There should also be a maximum to how much shore leave XP bonus you'd receive.

This system works well as it doesn't interfere with the current leveling time for those who play often. Someone else mentioned their concern for making the leveling rate even faster. It is already pretty fast. And I feel their concern was valid. So this system would not give a boost if you play a lot already. You're already leveling at a decent rate as it is. The boost however would benefit those who don't or cant play often. They would actually have something working for them while they were offline. And calling this boost "shore leave" is actually a fun RP way to go about it.

Also if we beamed down to Risa it would also begin the timer while we were in game. Kinda boring until they add stuff for us to do there. But would still work. Once they do add stuff for us to do there. this will make this whole area even better. Gain a boost to xp while we go and play mini games.
A rested crew member is able to function better and perform his/her duties more efficiently. Makes a ton more sense then drinking a magic potion.
Lt. Commander
# 60
01-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikoy
I'm not against xp boosters. And I'm not against xp boosters in the C-Srore. Options are IMHO always a good thing.

However here is an alternate idea I had in another thread. I just feel that

A. Taking a consumable to increase XP is to much like taking a steroid. Which doesn't fit trek at all.

B. Again adding something like this to the C-Store only takes away from the possibility of adapting this idea to fit into the overall Star Trek universe.

A rested crew member is able to function better and perform his/her duties more efficiently. Makes a ton more sense then drinking a magic potion.
It could be a detailed after-action report tracker for your ship's computer that analyzes the crew's performance causing them to learn from mistakes faster?