Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
But I was wondering that if given the trend of the KDF and Starfleet to cooperate in the end game content to beat back folks like the Borg and Undine, and not just openly zapping each others heads off in the places like Deferi space and so on, if it'd be possible at some point to maybe open the fence to KDF toons that are maybe Federation friendly or something?

Open up mission on both sides so that players can team together from different factions to run through content.

It doesn't make sense to me to have "exclusivity" when one side is rediculously over balanced to it's other half. Why not share the fun and ease the work load. Like the old saying goes "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

Maybe allow Fleets the option to accept members from both factions and allow them to team together or something? I don't know.

Just seems silly to continue this line in space nonsense when we just nullify it in Gamma Orionis/End game content.

And that's the other thing. If we aren't going to let go of this whole "The KDF and Fed have to be at war" Then can we at least have some open pvp areas? it seems silly to me that I can go into a DSE in Pi Canis, but I can't do anything except fly around and watch the Fed players beat on the mobs. At least let me help either side.

I dunno. Figured I'd toss some ideas out instead of crying about how there's no content or that the dev's broke the game or whatever other silly conception it is anytime someone offers some constructive advice about Klingons. I'd love feedback as well, if we can hammer something presentable out to give the dev's I'd be thrilled.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-20-2011, 10:19 PM
What you're saying is not new, but it's not bad either.
It's been proposed that you can choose whether you want to be alligned with a Federation-Friendly house or one that opposes the Federation-Klingon Alliance and that this would affect the type of missions you get.
It would not affect PvP, so you could still only do KvK and KvF, only that KvF would then be a "wargame" like FvF.
There've also been numerous requests to make it possible to run STFs together or allow cooperation in missions where this woudl make sense like in Gamma Orionis.
But until now it's all postponed to "hope this can be done eventually".
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_Rain
it seems silly to me that I can go into a DSE in Pi Canis, but I can't do anything except fly around and watch the Fed players beat on the mobs. At least let me help either side.
If you want to be a supreme ***** about it you can go into DSE's and heal the enemies. You could also heal the Feds. That's helping. When we were first allowed access I accidently found out I could heal the Gorn in there. I apologized to the poor fed who was struggling to fight him then stuck around and healed the Fed for a while.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
It's been proposed that you can choose whether you want to be alligned with a Federation-Friendly house or one that opposes the Federation-Klingon Alliance and that this would affect the type of missions you get.
It would not affect PvP, so you could still only do KvK and KvF, only that KvF would then be a "wargame" like FvF.
There've also been numerous requests to make it possible to run STFs together or allow cooperation in missions where this woudl make sense like in Gamma Orionis.
But until now it's all postponed to "hope this can be done eventually".
Hmm, wonder if it's because we're only "12%" of the population. Must not matter much in the long run I guess.

They could have at least made a better effort to providing a less tedius grind. I wouldn't mind what little content there is if it didn't bore me to sleep doing it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-22-2011, 05:37 AM
Quote:
Hmm, wonder if it's because we're only "12%" of the population. Must not matter much in the long run I guess.

They could have at least made a better effort to providing a less tedius grind. I wouldn't mind what little content there is if it didn't bore me to sleep doing it.
Well, the fun, or sad when you think about it, part about that is that people from both sides have asked for a cooperative feature so it's not a 12% problem.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-22-2011, 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
Yeah, right, with the Federation-friendly traitors having access to 80 times the content of the KDF. I wonder how the game would end up like?!

I say keep it limited to Gamma Orionis. The ongoing conflict is necessary to give PvP and a good chunk of UFP content meaning. An Open PvP sector is being thought about by the devs, by the way.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-22-2011, 09:25 AM
I tend not to believe the 12% number especially when one of the bits of logic made to support it is that, that 12% is close to the number of Trekkies at a con who dress up as Klingons. Sorry, but this is a game, playing a member of the KDF faction should not require the same kind of investment in time, money and potential cost to social life as dressing up a Worf in real life does.

I tend to believe that those left playing STO are made up of three groups - Hardcore Trekkies desperate for a ST MMO, Casual Trekkies looking for a fun little ST game, and hardcore STO fans. Given that this is a game, where the first Klingon toon unlocked is a bonus character slot, I doubt the reluctance to play Klingon has anything to do with how they feel about Klingons in Trek or how they would ally themselves at a con (if all STOers were con goers which I would bet that most are not).

Back to the OP topic though - The ability to play cooperatively is needed in the STF's and such, but there it makes sense as the Federation has finally realized the Undine threat (story-wise) which was the bone of contention between the two factions to begin with.

That being said, the game is built on the two factions being at war, changing that would have major repercussions for the entire game. The one thing I will certainly credit the STO writers with doing is keeping true to the spirit of Trek since TNG - they didn't make the "bad guys" in this case Klingons for a good portion of Fed content one dimensional, they idea that bad guys tend to be simply acting in their own self-interest has been retained and thankfully we have a KDF faction that reflects this.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-22-2011, 06:51 PM
Too bad it's not so much of a war by the time you get to the end of the game ....
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-22-2011, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Too bad it's not so much of a war by the time you get to the end of the game ....
honestly it never really felt like a war to me at all, it seems all the klingons ever did that was truely horrible was attack star base 24, at least from my point of view. Yes we fight them in pvp but outside of the questgivers mentioning the war and the one klingon story line about going back in time and augmenting them, i never really felt threatened, it mostly just felt like I was going around doing normal ST stuff in the most boring way possible, and that all the enemies were those poor fellows who's actions were not sponsored by their government kind of thing.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderchase View Post
honestly it never really felt like a war to me at all, it seems all the klingons ever did that was truely horrible was attack star base 24, at least from my point of view. Yes we fight them in pvp but outside of the questgivers mentioning the war and the one klingon story line about going back in time and augmenting them, i never really felt threatened, it mostly just felt like I was going around doing normal ST stuff in the most boring way possible, and that all the enemies were those poor fellows who's actions were not sponsored by their government kind of thing.
Well there was that "little" raid on the Mars Shipyards too.