Lt. Commander
# 41
05-14-2009, 08:57 AM
Looks good - the screenshots were amazing - excellent work on the enviornments, right up there with ***...good job to the art department!
Lt. Commander
# 42
05-14-2009, 09:05 AM
I am very interested to see how the space combat is going to work. real time or turn based...... Can't wait.
Lt. Commander
# 43
05-14-2009, 09:58 AM
Very nice article. Good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandriin View Post
Sounds like STO will only have a pseudo 3D navigation like Starfleet Command? Thats a little bit dissapointing :-|
i wished sto would get an full 3d navigation.
That also was my first thought. But we'll see how pseudo it will be in the end. Maybe it'll really seem to be 3D or be 3D at the best.
Lt. Commander
# 44
05-14-2009, 02:19 PM
I think both the Screen shots and article were good.

part of the article said:

But since the game is already in an internal beta state at Cryptic's offices

So could the game be out when the new star trek movie is out on DVD/Blue Ray.

Just a thought.

Lt. Commander
# 45
05-14-2009, 03:32 PM
good read along with some great looking screenshots thanks
Lt. Commander
# 46
05-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Sounds like STO will only have a pseudo 3D navigation like Starfleet Command? Thats a little bit dissapointing :-|
That combined with only 4 shield faces instead of 6 worries me. Would we really revert back to just 2D flight?
Lt. Commander
# 47
05-14-2009, 03:59 PM
I definately wouldn't like to waste in game time going back to a space station just to repair some damage. Thats why ships have engineers. Now if they made it to where certain damage gets repaired until you log off, then when you log in its automatically at the nearest starbase, that would be fine.
Lt. Commander
# 48
05-14-2009, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekhan
Andrew Park over at Gamespot posted his impressions of some early work we've been doing, including ship battles, exploration and away teams. He's also included a few exclusive screenshots to check out.Thanks to Andrew and Gamespot for taking a look at Star Trek Online!
It's this kind of statement that makes me wonder if STO is going to come out sometime in the next decade or not...

Seriously though, good to hear that STO is in "internal beta." Sounds like we could hear a tenative launch date soon. Here's hoping!
Lt. Commander
# 49
05-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagler View Post
That combined with only 4 shield faces instead of 6 worries me. Would we really revert back to just 2D flight?
Well, the shields should wrap above and below the ship, not just be in an arc around the horizontal plane.

I would imagine with that set up, facing directly towards an enemy vessel would take most fire on the foreward shield, but if you angled to where your ship's underside or top is towards the enemy fire, maybe there is a chance that the fire hits any of the shields, weighted by the actual angle, since all 4 shields would intersect in the center area top and bottom.

Agreed that 6 shields would represent that better, but I'm just speculating in hopes that we are not forced to fight only in 2d when in space, can't wait to see how it is actually working.

Hoping that z axis makes a difference in combat though, yeah.
Lt. Commander
# 50
05-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Quote:
I think this is another example of poor choice of wording by the author. I think the '2d' reference is more indetifying the 2D movement of say WoW, rather than saying STO is 2D movement (which conflicts Dev comments that it is 3D -- just not unlimited Z axis/up&Down range - think swimming pool).