Lt. Commander
# 11
01-13-2011, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrthore View Post
Alright, I want to state first off that when I bought the Collector's Edition of DC Universe Online I really thought that I would no longer play Star Trek because I am a Super Hero and DC fanboi ... but, after playing it for about an hour, I realized why I love Star Trek so much and how much potential that this game has. I think it has so much potential that I am dedicated to sticking with this game through its course. I just can't get into the corny mission sets DC gives and the missions are not what I expected. Graphics, and everything are great, the game iteself is great, but I realized I am a Star Trek fan more, and this game really provides the game I wanted all along. Anyways, point of this post is, is that I'm glad I'm back to playing Star Trek Online And ... I only played DC for a day, but you can tell after getting to level 20 how a game is gonna be I think ...
I will be playing both. The DC Universe PS3 interface is fabulous, and people should take lessons from that.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-13-2011, 09:38 AM
I went back to STO to have some fun, because DCUO's launch was pretty close to pure terrible on a few fronts. I blogged about that over on my Destructoid blog.

I need more time with DCUO before I pass judgement on it but from what I did play and with my experience from the beta it's a fun game but could get old fast. The game is fun and plays like a beat-em-up more so than an MMO and pretty much everything in the game is voice-acted (taking away one of The Old Republics selling points) but I could definitely see myself getting old with the game.

Oh and the game has a pretty terrible chat system. Matrix Online, Guild Wars, WoW, & STO all put the DCUO chat system to shame.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-13-2011, 10:02 AM
Observations, after two days:

-The opening movie is awesome. Flat out awesome. I have watched it several times without ever wanting to abort.
-Loading artwork is great. (Especially if it's a pic of of Harley and Supergirl)
-Voice acting is over the top melodrama, but expected to be since it's a comic book world. (I picture Circe doing very naughty things when she talks about turning citizens into demons)
-Leveling speed is ridiculously fast, and people are already complaining about lack of end-game content. (And for once, I can't put this blame on them for racing to the end. The end races to the player this time.)
-PvP is too rough around the edges for me to make a real judgment call on.
-The game needs a boob-slider. They are ridicu-big on everyone but small frames
-Costume creation is not nearly as intuitive as other hero games. Maybe once I'm used to it, I'll like it better, but CoH and CO did a way better job from what I've seen so far.
-Travel powers are fun, even though they only have flight, super speed, and acrobatics.

Initial Verdict:
I'm going to play my free month and walk away. I might peek at it again after a year.

Disclaimer:
I can't find a game that holds my interest anymore. I've been looking for over a year, and have wasted more money that I care to think about trying anything that looked remotely interesting. About the only game I still play regularly is EVE, and that's just usually to update my skill queue and dork around for an hour or so.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-13-2011, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrthore View Post
Alright, I want to state first off that when I bought the Collector's Edition of DC Universe Online I really thought that I would no longer play Star Trek because I am a Super Hero and DC fanboi ... but, after playing it for about an hour, I realized why I love Star Trek so much and how much potential that this game has. I think it has so much potential that I am dedicated to sticking with this game through its course. I just can't get into the corny mission sets DC gives and the missions are not what I expected. Graphics, and everything are great, the game iteself is great, but I realized I am a Star Trek fan more, and this game really provides the game I wanted all along. Anyways, point of this post is, is that I'm glad I'm back to playing Star Trek Online And ... I only played DC for a day, but you can tell after getting to level 20 how a game is gonna be I think ...
Do you get to work for Mr J?
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Character creator does seem to be lacking some customization.

The thing I really like is the dynamic combat. It is so neat to see characters in an MMO actually moving as they fight instead of the static stand and cycle through cool-downs that I usually see in MMOs.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-13-2011, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
Do you get to work for Mr J?
yup. Obviously you have to go villian
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpVis View Post
Character creator does seem to be lacking some customization.

The thing I really like is the dynamic combat. It is so neat to see characters in an MMO actually moving as they fight instead of the static stand and cycle through cool-downs that I usually see in MMOs.
Agreed. It would be nice to have more options and a more intuitive character creation systems.

I just love the more dynamic feel to the combat.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-13-2011, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
yup. Obviously you have to go villian
Zero problem with that ^_^ Wonder if they put mallets in....
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-13-2011, 12:23 PM
I have really been considering this game. Like really considering. Even more then I have been considering Lego Universe.

Some reviews have made it sound fun, polished in some respects, and underwhelming in others, especially the controls (I would be on a PC). But when/if they offer a trial I would be all over that trial so I can make a proper denouncement of it.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-13-2011, 12:23 PM
question, why would you buy a game that was made by SOE.... people dont realise the shat they did to swg..

I was looking at the game myself seeing Iam also a big superhero nut "superman fan" but no way will i spend a nickle on soe products.