Lt. Commander
# 21
01-13-2011, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
I have really been considering this game. Like really considering. Even more then I have been considering Lego Universe.

Some reviews have made it sound fun, polished in some respects, and underwhelming in others, especially the controls (I would be on a PC). But when/if they offer a trial I would be all over that trial so I can make a proper denouncement of it.
same, but targeting in this game sounds worse than targeting in STO

I get hit with enough heavy plasma torpedoes, I don't need the DCUO pain
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-13-2011, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXLocutusXx
question, why would you buy a game that was made by SOE.... people dont realise the shat they did to swg..

I was looking at the game myself seeing Iam also a big superhero nut "superman fan" but no way will i spend a nickle on soe products.
Pfff. SWG...

You werent there to see how they ran Matrix Online into the ground. What they did to MxO makes SWG look pristine.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-13-2011, 01:58 PM
I just wish I could play all these games on my PS3. Using those controls is sooooo much better and produces more dynamic gaming. There is no stand and cycle through the cool downs there is running and jumping and just general butt kicking, that other MMOs lack.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-13-2011, 01:59 PM
Without reading most of these posts...there are 2 things that would keep me from trying out DCOU....

I am not that big a fan of the DC Universe....Most of their heroes are goody-two-shoes and fluff...however the biggest reason...is that I flat out refuse to give SOE any more of my money....
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-13-2011, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dogman
Pfff. SWG...

You werent there to see how they ran Matrix Online into the ground. What they did to MxO makes SWG look pristine.
Yeah..but what a lot of people forget...is that SWG was *NOT* 100% SOE's failure. Lucas Arts has a bad habit of micromanaging everything...and really making it hard for the subcontracted developer to really do the job right. LA stepped in and dictated what they wanted SOE to do...and SOE followed instructions per the contract.

BioWare is sadly in the same boat with TOR........

I blame Julio Torres for the failure of most Lucas Arts Star Wars titles.....He's a d-bag....there's a video of him from G4's Attack of the Show proving it.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-13-2011, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sural_Argonus
Yeah..but what a lot of people forget...is that SWG was *NOT* 100% SOE's failure. Lucas Arts has a bad habit of micromanaging everything...and really making it hard for the subcontracted developer to really do the job right. LA stepped in and dictated what they wanted SOE to do...and SOE followed instructions per the contract.

BioWare is sadly in the same boat with TOR........
Well at least everybody going knows right off there will be ten thousand glow batters running around.

DO A BARREL ROLL!
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
Well at least everybody going knows right off there will be ten thousand glow batters running around.
Not an image I personally want to see....
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Looked into DCU and was a little exited then found out that there is no Green Lantern core out of the box! Not happy but with my experience with STO I thought, I'm sure they are working on it. That's when I was turned off. Guess they are already planing an expansion pack to go with the GL moving in June. and the way it is being pushed sounds like they are going to make you buy it like a WOW one. 6 months after launch. Sorry but I see where this is going. Downloading Champions Online right now to see if it will fill my void. Worst case is Cryptic will just get more of my money that will in the long run help keep them afloat so they can keep working on STO. Best case is I like it.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Champions is awesome. But Champions has 2 problems.

First, it is City of Heroes 2. There sadly was not not much initial new mission styles at launch. Most missions remain click the blinky, kill the boss, or defeat 10 gang members. And in the current status, not much has changed in that area.

Second was stuff to do. This ties into the plethora of abovementioned kill 10 gang member missions, but even today if you level up two characters will will HAVE to do the same route that the first did because there isn't enough stuff to do a second route. And then once you get to the end there is a feeling of 'what now'. The Serpent Lantern, Vibora Bay, and the recent DEMON adventure pack helps.

So the two problems basically comes down to one and that is content. Gameplay is pretty good, well balanced, and the mechanic of having a weak attack to build power to use larger attacks works very well. The content problem however keeps coming back. I think given a few more years, Champions will have that content. For now it is a highly recommended and fun romp, but be warned once you do the same mission chain two or three times, it can kinda loose that fun flavor.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
any reviews would be helpful.
Fear not, good ser.

This thread over at CORP basically developed in a vivid exchange of opinions and experiences. And here is another, much shorter one if you don't like to read the long story.

Basically, people think the following:
+ Combat and graphics are awesome
- Customization sucks and likely won't get better (prefabricated body types, few colour options, etc)
- little options for roleplaying (no "sit" emote, no private cross-faction chat, names are unique thus leading to use of spcl chrctrs, ...)
- few endgame content (the developer did announce "regular" updates in the future though)
o leveling is damn fast
o you'll either love it or hate it, there is little middle ground

I think I'll try it out once they offer a trial, but so far it seems CO is way more interesting to me.