Lt. Commander
# 1 I Hate The New Borg
01-13-2011, 06:15 AM
When The Borg debuted in STTNG back n the day they were nearly an unstoppable force. They laid waste to entire fleets of the ships and were the most ruthless adversary the Star Trek universe had ever seen. Fast forward to the present day and The Borg are almost laughable. Single ships taking out Borg cubes. Hell the Klingons are more powerful than The Borg. Now I know The Borg can't be as unstoppable and difficult as they once were especially in a game format but seriously they should be a lot more of a threat than what they currently are. Just my two cents.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-13-2011, 06:20 AM
The Undine would disagree.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-13-2011, 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Sutherland
The Undine would disagree.

I guess I am not as familiar with The Undine as I am with The Borg. So who would win in a head to head confrontation? Old Borg or Undine?
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-13-2011, 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Chill
I guess I am not as familiar with The Undine as I am with The Borg. So who would win in a head to head confrontation? Old Borg or Undine?
Undine would, hands down.

Also, I would say that the Borg being "less of a threat" at this point in time makes sense. Humans, Klingons, Romulans et. al. have learned from their encounters with the Borg and adapted/improved their weapons and tactics to better defend themselves. The Borg did not get wimpier per say - their enemies just did what the Borg do so well; learned and adapted.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-13-2011, 06:37 AM
Well, the Borg went downhill after Star Trek Voyager. Really downhill. Basically they went from striking fear into the hearts and minds to the state you see them now in that series. So to answer your question, I guess the Undine would win out since the Undine were practically wiping the floor with the Borg in Voyager.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-13-2011, 06:38 AM
Their weakness now is the end result of the chain of events set into motion by an alternate future Janeway. Having killed the queen and sent disorder into the collective by means of a virus that severed their connections to one another she dealt a decisive blow to the Borg

Considering the chaos this would cause, it is not really a surprise that the Borg pulled back their forces to their core worlds and went into a form of hiding. It is easily theorized now that their zombie-like appearance and sometimes sloppy tactics and weaker attacks is the result of their poor, possibly still decaying state.

From a TV show writer's perspective, they had to weaken the Borg and change how they operated or the small Intrepid class which was Voyager woulda been fried like an ant under a magnifying glass. Same reason, I think, they send a lone cube for Earth most of the time. Otherwise if it was anywhere near reality they would stomp us in a heartbeat.

From a gaming prospective it is also more effective to just weaken the Borg, as inaccurate as it feels. When Fleet Admirals are put in game they could conceivably make the Borg a little closer to the real deal, with NPC fleets with us at all times, we would be able to still counter their threat. As it stands, it would be something of an annoyance to have to assemble a team just to traverse Borg space.

I just hate their appearance now. Voyager and First Contact Borg = Hardcore STO Borg = Oh joy! Another Zombie!
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-13-2011, 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shard-Warrior View Post
Undine would, hands down.

Also, I would say that the Borg being "less of a threat" at this point in time makes sense. Humans, Klingons, Romulans et. al. have learned from their encounters with the Borg and adapted/improved their weapons and tactics to better defend themselves. The Borg did not get wimpier per say - their enemies just did what the Borg do so well; learned and adapted.

Wasn't it the greatest strength of The Borg to adapt and learn from each encounter to eventually overtake their opponent? Did The Borg just stop adapting?
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-13-2011, 06:42 AM
Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wivplBVrxeM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4LR6Ev27FQ

Undine = Species 8472
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-13-2011, 06:49 AM
Quote:
Wasn't it the greatest strength of The Borg to adapt and learn from each encounter to eventually overtake their opponent? Did The Borg just stop adapting?
Yes, it was a great strength and a weakness at the same time, and no, they did not stop adapting. The Borg use assimilation as a means to learn/adapt to a species. Their encounter with Species 8472 - a race that was resistant to assimilation - proved that assimilation was not an "I win" button all the time.

Would the Borg have eventually adapted to Species 8472/Undine? Given enough time, maybe (according to STO, they have). Maybe not. It all depends on who wrote the script for that particular episode.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-13-2011, 06:51 AM
Quote:
Hell the Klingons are more powerful than The Borg.
Ah HA! Proof the Klingons in this game are "OP" :p

Seriously though, there's lots of things in the game that don't make sense but are there in order to make this a game. People want to fight against the Borg, the only way to provide that is to make the Borg an enemy you can actually have a fun fight against.

You are right... the Borg in this game don't match up to the Borg in the series. That's the difference between making a game and a TV show/movie. However, that's not to say the Borg couldn't be improved upon but making them the one-shot super enemies of the series would not make make for a better gameplay experience.