Lt. Commander
# 21
01-13-2011, 11:18 AM
After the Hugh virus the Borg had a lot to deal with, with entire ships being infected with individualism, it's been tough. Toss on top of that their defeat in First Contact, their near obliteration by Species 8472 (the Undine), Unimatrix Zero and all of their other encounters with Voyager and you get a better picture of what the Borg would be like today, which is exactly how they are. They're still rebuilding. They're still adapting. But they've been dealt some very harsh blows over the years and it takes time to recover.

Lt. Commander
# 22
01-13-2011, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyyy View Post
Right there you proved to everyone that you dont know what you are talking about.
Wha? Have you watched Scorpion where Borg Cubes are 1 shot by Species 8472? Watch the first 20 seconds. Fairly well established that had Voyager not intervened, the Borg would have been decimated by Species 8472/Undine.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-13-2011, 11:37 AM
If you read the post Nemesis books, the Borg are quite rutheless:

"We are the Borg. You will be annihilated. Your biological and technological distinctiveness have become irrelevant. Resistance is futile... but welcome"

During the 2380's they laid waste to numerous planets killing BILLIONS. Starfleet gained a number of ways to combat them (the Doomsday Machine, the original Endgame virus (that was supposed to be taken back to the collective by Hugh, and Transphasic Torpedoes), but the very nature of Borg evolution means that they gain new strengths (and weaknesses).

I am still in the middle of the Destiny books, so I dunno how it ultimately affects the Borg of our time, but I can see some of the patterns.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-13-2011, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shard-Warrior View Post
Wha? Have you watched Scorpion where Borg Cubes are 1 shot by Species 8472? Watch the first 20 seconds. Fairly well established that had Voyager not intervened, the Borg would have been decimated by Species 8472/Undine.
lol I love that scene... Undine/8472 ftw
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-13-2011, 11:56 AM
I don't mind the Borg in game, overall, though there is one thing I would like to see changed:

I'd like to see cubes replaced with something else for the Battleship slot. Cubes should be bigger, nastier than they are. Currently, they are pretty weak. Overall, I find spheres to be tougher than cubes much of the time. That's backwards. Voyager playing with a T4 tactical cube aside and then easily retreating aside. Cubes should be scary. So bring in 8 sided ships as a battleship replacement (I'd go for pyramides to match spheres and cubes, but it'd feel too Stargate) and free up the cubes to be nasty.

As to the Borg themselves in the shows, never really ilked their concept, at least when they started to fill in the details. They gain new tech by assimilation? So they always have to go pick on people that are equally or more advanced than them, yet we're supposed to believe they run around stomping on everyone they choose. They assimilate entire populations, but don't breed, which makes no sense, as they'd lose entire species over time, thereby moving away from perfection. Additionally, by waiting to assimilate, other species become better, make new tech, which would make them more worthy of assimilation and potentially a bigger step to bringing Borg closer to perfection. It just doesn't work. Voyager just did a poor job of thinking anything through when it came to the Borg.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-13-2011, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axterix
I don't mind the Borg in game, overall, though there is one thing I would like to see changed:

I'd like to see cubes replaced with something else for the Battleship slot. Cubes should be bigger, nastier than they are. Currently, they are pretty weak. Overall, I find spheres to be tougher than cubes much of the time. That's backwards. Voyager playing with a T4 tactical cube aside and then easily retreating aside. Cubes should be scary. So bring in 8 sided ships as a battleship replacement (I'd go for pyramides to match spheres and cubes, but it'd feel too Stargate) and free up the cubes to be nasty.

As to the Borg themselves in the shows, never really ilked their concept, at least when they started to fill in the details. They gain new tech by assimilation? So they always have to go pick on people that are equally or more advanced than them, yet we're supposed to believe they run around stomping on everyone they choose. They assimilate entire populations, but don't breed, which makes no sense, as they'd lose entire species over time, thereby moving away from perfection. Additionally, by waiting to assimilate, other species become better, make new tech, which would make them more worthy of assimilation and potentially a bigger step to bringing Borg closer to perfection. It just doesn't work. Voyager just did a poor job of thinking anything through when it came to the Borg.
Diamond? :O

failing that for a super borg fleet action... get 8 tactical cubes... A LOT of super glue... and make a Giant upltra mega super dooper tactical cube.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Not only did Janeway weaken the Borg with the virus. We had their technology from parts of Voyager and Enterprise E that was assimilated. Star Fleet has had forty years to reverse engineer Borg technology and learn from them from Seven.

Not only the Borg are weaker but Star Fleet has grown much stronger.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-13-2011, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Sutherland
Diamond? :O
Borg duodecahedrons. Now we're talking.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Quote:

I'd like to see cubes replaced with something else for the Battleship slot. Cubes should be bigger, nastier than they are. .
I agree.

Honestly the Crystalline Entity Fleet Action is about what I think the Cube encounter should be in STO. It's always sort of bewildered me that the CE (which couldn't defeat the Enterprise's shields) is the unstoppable annihilator of fleets yet the borg cubes are solo-able random encounters.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-13-2011, 12:22 PM
Quote:
So they always have to go pick on people that are equally or more advanced than them
Not always equal. They would assimilate any species they felt would add to/benefit the Collective in some way or were a threat in some way. Lifeforms they felt were inferior were ignored (or according to Crosis in "Descent", destroyed).

IIRC, Seven of Nine also mentions something to the effect of Talaxians (or some other species) were assimilated because they had "strong backs" or something of that sort. Not 100% certain which species it was, but I do recall her saying something like that.

Quote:
yet we're supposed to believe they run around stomping on everyone they choose.
They didn't stomp on the undine/8472, that's for sure. :p