Lt. Commander
# 21
01-13-2011, 09:55 AM
There was a depth to DS9 that couldn't work in the other shows. Because the situation there was static - they didn't go exploring until later in the series - the show was based more on serial plot arcs. The writers continued returning to Bajor, and while the Bajoran civil conflict could have been fleshed out better in the first two seasons, there was some good writing there. I argue that DS9 turned the corner when Ron Moore joined the staff, and I think most people agree.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-13-2011, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
Yes. He was there all along, and at the same time, he was never there.

Don't try to wrap your head around time shenanigans, man.

It'll eat your sanity.
Gotta love Temporal Paradoxes

As for the rest, the REAL Sisko didn't show up till Season 3 and he went all "Hawk" on the Cardassians
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-13-2011, 09:56 AM
DS9 was ok...but I got annoyed with the political and religious propaganda they spewed on a weekly basis.....Moreso then any other series....A lot of TNG and TOS were commentary on current events...but DS9 to me went too far with it.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-13-2011, 10:55 AM
DS-9 got pretty good once they watched enough Bab-5 to figure out how to make the space station thing work. Definitely better than TNG. Just felt more real. Actions had more consequences, everything wasn't perfect again by the end of the episode. There was more character development than a single character growing a beard. Yeah, I'm not a huge TNG fan, too many meetings, too much modifying the deflector array, not enough character development or consequences.

That said, it didn't do it all as well as Bab-5 did. A lot of the time the major plot felt disjointed, like continuity wasn't really that important or the writers just decided that in this episode something big will happen. It didn't feel like they planned out a story to tell over X seasons, but rather, that they made it up season by season. Which is a shame, as they had the budget to do it well, if only they'd had someone with the vision.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-13-2011, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTWinters
Are you sure? I remember him being chosen as the Emissary of the Prophets since he was the first corpreal being they had met, but then there was that Bajoran who met them 300 years (+ or -) before hand as he viewed it, but he met the Prophets after Sisko. It just seems to me that since they effectively exist outside of the linear flow time, that his post ascended self would have been there during his pre-ascended self's meetings with the Prophets
Wibbly wobbly timey wimey...stuff
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-13-2011, 11:01 AM
I loved DS9, and Jadzia Dax, yummy.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-13-2011, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axterix
DS-9 got pretty good once they watched enough Bab-5 to figure out how to make the space station thing work. Definitely better than TNG. Just felt more real. Actions had more consequences, everything wasn't perfect again by the end of the episode. There was more character development than a single character growing a beard. Yeah, I'm not a huge TNG fan, too many meetings, too much modifying the deflector array, not enough character development or consequences.

That said, it didn't do it all as well as Bab-5 did. A lot of the time the major plot felt disjointed, like continuity wasn't really that important or the writers just decided that in this episode something big will happen. It didn't feel like they planned out a story to tell over X seasons, but rather, that they made it up season by season. Which is a shame, as they had the budget to do it well, if only they'd had someone with the vision.
babylon 5 did giant over arcing stories very well and no one has better character development but i always found bab 5 stand alone eps to be quite poor. its like MJS has a great overall story but fell over with the weekly stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-13-2011, 11:15 AM
For me DS9 was Trek for the religious folk, and i thought it also took some of the social commentary a little too far. I watch Trek to be entertained, not to get a tweaked recap on my weekly news. The show just didnt mesh with me that much, the only time it got good for me was the Dominion Wars. It's not a bad show, its just in my opinion the weakest Trek show entertainment wise. Aw hell, for entertainments sake here's how I rank each series.

1- TNG
2- TOS
3- Voy
4- Ent
5- DS9

Sorry if someone takes offense to me putting Enterprise above DS9. I didnt think it was that bad of a show. And proptip: Enterprise stayed on the air longer than TOS did.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-13-2011, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sural_Argonus
but I got annoyed with the political and religious propaganda they spewed on a weekly basis.....
What would a Star Trek series be without it?
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTWinters
So here's my question, since at the end of the series, Sisko ascends(for lack of a better term) to be with the Prophets, and seeing how the Prophets exist in a non-linear temporal fashion. Does that mean Sisko was with the Prophets the whole time of the DS9 series?
Consider my mind officially blown.