Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 The C Store's Future?
01-13-2011, 08:08 AM
Based on some of the dev conversation in the XP Boost thread, I am somewhat worried about the future of the C Store. The problem, for me, is that once they start putting in little boosts like the XP boost, what comes next?

Here are some quotes that illustrate my fear:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorra
Sigh I hope this isn't just the start... I can see it now ( pots to increase damage and defense, pots to increase pvp damage, pots to help in raids) all available in the c-store... This is really a turn for the worse think though I hope am wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
XP Boost in the C-Store?

...i don't even know what to say to this.

The next thing we see are pre leveled Vice Admirals in the C-Store.... or Emblems.... or DXP...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakkar View Post
Since Champs is going FTP, they are going to add lots of little things to their store, and those items will be easily transferred to STO. They will make the company money. Therefore, they will be adding them. RIght now STO gets the best of both worlds from the company's position; they get subscriptions and all the stuff the c-store can charge for that Champs develops that can be applied to STO.
....
I do hope that this doesn't ever get to the point where people can buy damage or defense boosts not easily available in game or then it does become a competitive issue. This isn't a straw man because I know nobody has talked of adding such things; I just would hope to preempt any such ideas from happening in the first place. Right now selling ships as c-store only purchases is the only thing that comes close to this.
Even though whatever they add may not be necessary to play, if they become prevalent enough players will feel like they need to buy things to be competitive, or on par with their peers, in the game. I am perfectly fine with STO going F2P - I bought an LTS partially because of the possibility. However, STO should never have a stereotypical nickel-and-dime F2P store, where the player with the wallet gets the character that performs the best.

I know that perhaps this discussion was touched on in the aforementioned XP Boost thread, but I want to steer the discussion away from XP boosts, and the leveling speed/amount of content, and to the future of the C Store.

I also know that there has been nothing said about putting anything other than XP boosts in the C Store, but I would rather have this discussion now, than after the announcement. I realize that my "argument" may be grounded in irrational fear rather than hard facts, or examples from other games, but I think we still can and should talk about the possibility of a C Store that enables those that pay to get the better character to play.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2 agreed
01-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Yes, and I completely understand where you are coming from. See, the funny thing is that some of the unintended consequences you talk about are explored under one of the questions I posed during Ask Cryptic January edition. See below. I believe, as you do, that creating a nickle and dime store will turn off many loyal STO fans to playing Star-trek online all together. It will turn them off because it will create a system of perverse incentives. As you say, players will feel they have to dish out lots more cash just to enjoy the game which in all likelihood, will backfire (aka the unintended consequence-many STO fans cancel subscriptions). It would be better to build a trust between the developers and the players built on fair practices than it would be to scheme up new ways to charge us money whenever you can. Once Players feel the the cost of having fun is fair, they will reward the developer through continued subscriptions. In short, I think the Star-trek fan niche isn't quite the same as the Black Ops and the CDMW2 niche. Whereas you can charge a bunch of immature 12-15 year olds 14.99 for DLC's every few months, the same will not hold for the STO community. At least I hope so.

In case you were wondering, my other account on here is Grim Fandango. One is a demo account, but the Commander Knuhteb one is active.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim_Fandango

Question 2: Why are you still charging for items in the cryptic store?

Given you had the consent of the majority of players, wouldn't a better solution be to slightly raise the subscription rates and eliminate the cryptic store all together? Your current pricing plan seems illogical for several reasons. For one, you haven't structured incentives in the game so that people had more reasons to continue to pay the recurrent subscription fee. Why not reward people for playing longer and maxing out their characters instead of charging us for content most players feel should already play in the game. In the long-run, your fan base would be more loyal and trusting and not see you as completely profit seeking. Incentives such as more significant bonuses for having several characters at vice admiral level would be appropriate. For example, a player with at least two characters at vice admiral would receive a free extra character slot. Players who win at least 10 PVP battles can have access to new uniform sets and e-motes. In this way, players would see the pricing plan as more legitimate. Rewards and new items come as a result of skilled game-play and experience. Rewards shouldn't be perceived as coming from spending more money. Nobody likes a double tax, and nobody likes a double charge. Charge us one fair rate, and we'll appreciate and respect you much more.

Question 3: Why not eliminate the life-time subscriptions and offer partial refunds to those who purchased them? Why not create 6 month, 8 month, and 12 month subscriptions at cheaper prices?

I can't imagine how angry life-time subscribers must be at the need to spend more money in the cryptic store when they already spent $300 dollars!!! If the purpose of an MMO is to keep players interested and paying, change the pricing scheme to the way I suggest above. You will soon develop the trust and respect necessary to keep a large fan base who is willing to continue to pay. Long-term gain should be the rationale behind pricing, not short-term gain.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
01-13-2011, 09:28 AM
lol so they actually said in the Q&A the only options are to have the c-store or increase subscription fee's? I thought the game was going very well according to cryptic and subscriber count was actually increasing and was pretty high? so why do they need to charge more or have a c-store for extra money?

lmao
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
01-13-2011, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felderburg View Post
Based on some of the dev conversation in the XP Boost thread, I am somewhat worried about the future of the C Store. The problem, for me, is that once they start putting in little boosts like the XP boost, what comes next?
has anyone yet confirmed that the xp boost is the c-store or are we just assuming here?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
01-13-2011, 09:32 AM
I love the C-Store; It's the only place I shop.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
01-13-2011, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepidox View Post
lol so they actually said in the Q&A the only options are to have the c-store or increase subscription fee's? I thought the game was going very well according to cryptic and subscriber count was actually increasing and was pretty high? so why do they need to charge more or have a c-store for extra money?

lmao
Companies are always seeking to increase their profit margins. If Cryptic and Atari think the the Champs free-2-play model will theoretically generate more profit, they may go ahead and implement it. What I'm wondering is whether or not Cryptic has any choice in the price scheme? Does Atari just say you must go Free to play, and then Cryptic must implement it? Or, does Cryptic set the pricing scheme?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
01-13-2011, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpVis View Post
I love the C-Store; It's the only place I shop.
I hope you're just joking.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
01-13-2011, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
has anyone yet confirmed that the xp boost is the c-store or are we just assuming here?
There is no assuming. It was mentioned by the DStahl in the last engineering report as just one of the many things in development. Therefore, we know it will be put in the game sometime in season 4 or 5. The question is whether or not it will be made for sale in the C-store. I think it probably will be.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
01-13-2011, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felderburg
... I realize that my "argument" may be grounded in irrational fear rather than hard facts, or examples from other games, but I think we still can and should talk about the possibility of a C Store that enables those that pay to get the better character to play...
Fear is the mind killer.

Speculating on all the possible ways the sky could fall is only going to cause unnecessary stress.

Please keep the discussion going in the other - already well discussed thread where my replies are taking place.

Here's the link:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=197029
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:28 AM.