Lt. Commander
# 1 Ship Interiour and UGC
09-04-2010, 06:08 AM
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...=179076&page=2

Now in the above thread, DStahl hinted that he saw the potential benefit for us to be able to customize and do missions on our ships.

A little later I suggested the same as I will do in this thread, but I've decided to make it a stand alone post, because I'd like to hear you guys opinions as well.

Now considering DStahl's post in that thread the basic idea was to use the UGC system, when that becomes avaviable, to allow us to re-decorate our interiour.

The idea is to enable UGC while in our rooms (all except the bridge and mounted terminals), we activate the UGC solution, and then move around and delete the furniture and W/E.

Then when on a starbase we can buy additional chairs, tables, plants, fishtank (you get the picture), as well as terminals for Bank, Exchange, Mail and stuff like that.

Now this would help solve 2 problems that appear often on the forums:

1: People would have somthing to use their interiour for, hence would go there more often.

2: Money sink, so that prices on the exchange and common trade would decrease.

/discuss.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-04-2010, 06:42 AM
I make a lot of comparisons to SWG (Simply because it was an amazing game pre-cu), but that's one aspect I absolutely LOVED. Being able to buy furniture and whatnot, go on my ship and decorate it as I pleased. Being able to use UGC to create furniture, and then to furnish our starships would be SO awesome. Could even allow the matts already ingame to be used not only for crafting gear, but furniture and the like as well.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-04-2010, 06:53 AM
I agree 100 percent. I need something to occupy my imagination
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-04-2010, 06:56 AM
I don't think it will make folks visit their interiors more - but it would be nice if the UGC could allow missions to be made using the player's ship interior (rather than a UGC designer creating an interior).

I think the real value of having UGC modify interiors is all the cool missions we can make, and possibly if designers work together as suggested in The UGC Starbase thread.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-04-2010, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarbasePrime
I don't think it will make folks visit their interiors more - but it would be nice if the UGC could allow missions to be made using the player's ship interior (rather than a UGC designer creating an interior).

I think the real value of having UGC modify interiors is all the cool missions we can make, and possibly if designers work together as suggested in The UGC Starbase thread.
I dunno man, in SWG there was no real reason to visit your ship interior, or your home, but people would spend HOURS in them. Maybe it's because they were a more seamless transition, and could interact. After all, if you were running around your ship interior, the ship was still in space, and as such could still be attacked. In STO, it requires a loading screen to go to some instance that's entirely seperate. But even so, I suspect people will spend a lot more time in their ship interiors if they can make them homey.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-04-2010, 07:07 AM
Yah this would be a awesome idea, can't wait to see something similair in game.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-04-2010, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarbasePrime

I do kind of agree. There has to be a reason to go there other than make it look diffrently.

The things we put there, must to some degree have a purpose, such as the terminals i suggested (it is just a pain in the butt to have to go to Battlegroup, sol or K7 just to sell a console that just dropped in B'Tran and then back, but I would also like to decide for myself how my readyroom looks.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-04-2010, 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt556 View Post
I dunno man, in SWG there was no real reason to visit your ship interior, or your home, but people would spend HOURS in them. Maybe it's because they were a more seamless transition, and could interact. After all, if you were running around your ship interior, the ship was still in space, and as such could still be attacked. In STO, it requires a loading screen to go to some instance that's entirely separate. But even so, I suspect people will spend a lot more time in their ship interiors if they can make them homey.
I spent hours in my SWG home as I was either crafting or setting up the vendor. I only visited other's guild halls and houses because that's where you could buy the "good" stuff. I may have spent a <cough cough :p> few hours putting stuff just so in the house - but that was probably more "one-up-manship" since I knew folks would be coming in. Eventually I did away with my house and moved my crafting gear onto my ship.

So, the only reason I spent time there was to "play" a part of the game.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great set of steps by Cryptic. I'm just hoping their bean-counters won't go "let's stop all interior development, no one is using them" (as seems to be the case with the Klingons). That's the wrong conclusion. They have to finish them before they'll see any meaningful draw (which to me means there must be reasons for going inside - and, if you've read the UGC Starbase thread you know why I think that's a marvelous idea! )
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-09-2010, 02:10 PM
awsome!!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-09-2010, 04:01 AM
Yeah, buying furniture and interactive bank / exchange / mail cunsoles would be a really neat thing to make your bridge a bit more worth to be visited. I rarely go to my own bridge, I have been there twice, once for setting up my trophies, the second time for making some beauty screenshots. *lol*