Lt. Commander
# 1 Anyone Else Here Dislike DS9?
01-13-2011, 07:02 AM
I was never able to get into it. I just didnt think it was as good a series as TNG and Voyager. Maybe it was the fact it was set on a space station instead of a ship. I've just come across people that LOVE DS9 and I just don't feel it
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-13-2011, 07:06 AM
Took me a while to like DS9, but once I got to know the characters it has become my favorite show. The main reason is that most of the episodes are very rewatchable without being boring.

Perhaps on your first time round you should watch just a few episodes of the first two seasons and concentrate on the later one which IMO were much better.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-13-2011, 07:08 AM
I like it....it adds a certain ambiance not seen anywhere else.....in a Shop Rite, Swap Meet kinda way.

That and Im very serious about my Dabo.........."the shops are open"......(<------guess where thats from fellow gamers?)
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-13-2011, 07:08 AM
The first couple seasons hit me like a daytime soap, couldn't stand it initially.

However, after about mid way into season three I did begin enjoying it. The Dominion War was outstanding.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-13-2011, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by President_Shinzon View Post
However, after about mid way into season three I did begin enjoying it. The Dominion War was outstanding.
I second this notion.....good call
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-13-2011, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castogere View Post
.........."the shops are open"......(<------guess where thats from fellow gamers?)
Fable 2 perhaps?

I didn't like DS9 at first either, but that was just "it's not Picard" syndrome.
I had the same issue when TNG came out....."it's not Kirk"

Avery Brooks really grew on me though, Sisko came across as a jerk at first...but in comparison to some other captains in the canon........Sisko had the biggest steel clankers of them all.......Love him
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-13-2011, 07:25 AM
DS9 is the most real Star Trek there is. The characters deal with issues that aren't so perfect and black and white. The characters have... character. There's huge interesting story arcs and it's not as episodic based (which you might notice is a dying breed because it sucks). It's got the BEST storytelling out of all of them.

TNG and TOS have stronger characters (not physical strength or anything). That's about all I can say there. There's no terribly strong characters in DS9. There's no Spock or Kirk or Data or Picard. However, the story arcs, the stories themselves and the more human nature to the whole thing makes up for it.

Plus Worf finally got good in DS9. In TNG for several seasons he was just a d00d that screamed a lot and got beat up a lot. TNG gave him good character.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-13-2011, 07:38 AM
ds9 is very different to other trek and i can understand why people might not 'get it' but its easily the best star trek to me and has all the things i like; tons of action action, lots of story arcs, interesting character, more realistic, lots of regular guest stars, political situation and ramifications that affect the entire star trek landscape.

the only thing i advise, as i cant make people like it is to stick with it. often people watch the first series or two and say they hate it or dislike it and expect the next 6 years to be the same. it starts getting awesome around the end of season 2 and never really stops. the dominion war stuff is beyond epic.

try the episode 'the way of the warrior' and if that does not make you like it then its just not your series.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-13-2011, 07:48 AM
I drudged through the first two seasons but when Avery Brooks was allowed to turn into Hawk, then it got to be a really good show. That and they made Cirroc Lofton's character not so whiney
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-13-2011, 08:01 AM
I was rather cool to DS9 for awhile, but after watching the series all the way through, I warmed up to it. It's still a close second to TNG for me, but it's a little higher up than TOS and definately steps above VOY and ENT.