Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 ROFL @ Pathetic PVP System
12-23-2011, 03:51 AM
So I log in with my klink character,

Wait around for over an hour for 7 other people to form to make a pvp game, get bored waiting.

See the red alert window pop up and click it, jump to borg invasion.

Unimatrix ship spawns twice, we lose the mission, exit to sector space.

Nearly 2 hours of my time utterly wasted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'll like to know roughly how many people play Star Trek Online. Seems unreal that you have to spend the best part of an hour getting 8 people together to do PVP.

Can't you increase the rewards for PVP so more people participate, if more than half a dozen people play this game that is. We used to have PVP tokens we could spend on PVP gear. Now we just get a p^&s poor amount of xp.

Make PVP worth peoples while and more people might participate.

FIX THE BUGS!!! this game has been out 2 years nearly now. Please fix the bugs instead of spending time making new items for the c-store.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
12-23-2011, 04:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubsST View Post
So I log in with my klink character,

Wait around for over an hour for 7 other people to form to make a pvp game, get bored waiting.

See the red alert window pop up and click it, jump to borg invasion.

Unimatrix ship spawns twice, we lose the mission, exit to sector space.

Nearly 2 hours of my time utterly wasted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'll like to know roughly how many people play Star Trek Online. Seems unreal that you have to spend the best part of an hour getting 8 people together to do PVP.

Can't you increase the rewards for PVP so more people participate, if more than half a dozen people play this game that is. We used to have PVP tokens we could spend on PVP gear. Now we just get a p^&s poor amount of xp.

Make PVP worth peoples while and more people might participate.

FIX THE BUGS!!! this game has been out 2 years nearly now. Please fix the bugs instead of spending time making new items for the c-store.
cryptic does not care for pvp.
no money there to be made.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
12-23-2011, 04:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by claydermunch View Post
cryptic does not care for pvp.
no money there to be made.
I couldn't agree more
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
12-23-2011, 04:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by claydermunch View Post
cryptic does not care for pvp.
no money there to be made.
That's disgusting if it's true.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
12-23-2011, 04:27 AM
Cryptic has broken PvP a long time ago. They don't care about it and haven't done something about it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
12-23-2011, 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlo
That's disgusting if it's true.
Its ture, and proven by not only 2 years of utter neglect but also by totally ignoring any balance concern the pvp community has made heard EVER (basically every time a new op console gets released nowadays) and of course because they outright admitted to it.

Cryptic does not care, as a business, about pvp. All pvp related work done EVER is done by devs in their free time apparently.



PVP is not a concern to them, there is no money it it.

That games like Eve online have proven how much of a draw pvp can be is soundly ignored. And that is a game where death HURTS....


So imagine a good pvp that comes free of negative consequences for the player. where you can fight for sectors and stuff... that net your faction boni... but nnnOOOOOOOoooooo. there is nothing there for cryptic.... i think because they lack the ability to actually twist this bleh superhero game engine around enough for things like that.


inconsequential BS, that is what STO is about.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
12-23-2011, 04:43 AM
According to Cryptic PWE wants to push PvP and Territory control. So in the future you may see more of it.

The problem is not the lack of people in the game. It is the lack of people who really feel like PvP'ing. Some do not want to because it does not appeal to them. Some to not want to because the rewards are lame. Some do not want to because there are too many bugs or balance issues... So you have a lot of folks who do not want to PvP and some of them will never be interested in it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
12-23-2011, 04:54 AM
It's an unfortunate reality of the game as it is now.

The pvp community is small, but dedicated. So, of course, there are low tides in terms of the ammount of matches, but from experience I know certain times of the day I can come online and pretty reliably get a good steady stream of matches.

Supposedly our newest overlords want pvp to be great, but as of right now that's only words (which Cryptic have been very free with, historically). Aside from a small number of devs working hard off the clock (you know who you are) we get no dev attention for the time being. Watch this space though, after the KDF has been fleshed out.

Ever the optimist :p
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
12-23-2011, 04:57 AM
Cryptic just hasn't asked themselves the most important question...

How do we make money with PVP... we'll just get more mediocrity in the future from them... as usual

It's a damn shame, because they have talented artists and programmers... just a lack of visionary leadership and management.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
12-23-2011, 05:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by claydermunch View Post
Its ture, and proven by not only 2 years of utter neglect but also by totally ignoring any balance concern the pvp community has made heard EVER (basically every time a new op console gets released nowadays) and of course because they outright admitted to it.
I disagree that we are ignored.
They address balance issues and exploits. But not as timely as we want, and they keep adding stuff that is weakly balanced for PvP.
The closest thing to new content they added to PvP may have been Private Challenges. Which I woulnd't want to miss because it really made tournaments viable, but doesn't really cover what kind of extensions PvP needs to become truely viable and succesful. (And with that, tournaments may be viable from a purely technical point of view, but practically doesn't have a large enough community to support it.)

I seriously hope that the F2P launch will drive a wider range of PvP interested players to this game, and will allow Cryptic overall to finance developers and dev time to invest into PvP improvements.

But I fear it won't and inital unsatisfying experiences may remove this chance.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:16 PM.