Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content
Login

Lt. Commander
I'd like to see the option to select "standing orders" and/or to place certain skills/specials on "standby" that can be triggered automatically by certain threshold occurences.

One of my gripes about combat in STO is that there is a crew and these supposedly awesome BOs...but there is no sense of the crew being pro-active, reactive or even conscious during combat.

I'd like to see a way for us to "pre-load" certain skills...mainly defensive skill sets. The idea is that we could have these specials set to "stand-by" once out of cool down, and then they would be automatically activated once based on some "standing order"/threshold occurence. In order to have it auto-activated again, it would require it be set to "stand-by" again. Also, the player's use of the skill would de-activate it's "stand-by" status, requiring it be placed ack on "stand-by" after the use cool down.

The idea is that readied and pre-briefed crew meber/BO would be able to operate autonimously and semi-intelligently, without needing to be told exactly when to do every little thing at the time its needed.

This would provide some parity with many of the offensive specials that can be pre-loaded and then discharged simultaneously, or buffed concurrently and applied collectivly into a single or series(for a short duration) of attacks.

It would be cool to set "Emergency Power to Shields" on stand-by, and have it auto-activate at 50% or 25% or 0% shield HP for a given arc. Or have "Rotate Shield Freq" auto activate on the first sign of an attack....etc, etc. I'm sure there are others...but I don't have the time to brainstorm them all out.

Granted, I get there is a fine line to be walked here, so I'd assume only certain specials would be pre-loaded like this.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-05-2011, 04:34 PM
I wouldn't mind being able to set AI scripts for away teams, something similar to Dragon Age. It would be essentially what the BOffs do now, except you could have a bit more control about when they do what they do and how they prioritize targets.

For space though, I wouldn't want to see that, bit too much like botting at that point. Eliminating brainless button mashing through the likes of auto fire (yay) and toggle shield balancing (*glares at devs* do it already!), sure. But things that take actual timing/decision making? Nah.

At least, not until/if the fleet mode idea pans out, which would be something closer to away teams, but in space. Then being able to modify how they'd behave would be nice. But it'd be about adapting the AI of pets again, not turning your own ship into a bot.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-05-2011, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axterix
I wouldn't mind being able to set AI scripts for away teams, something similar to Dragon Age. It would be essentially what the BOffs do now, except you could have a bit more control about when they do what they do and how they prioritize targets.

For space though, I wouldn't want to see that, bit too much like botting at that point. Eliminating brainless button mashing through the likes of auto fire (yay) and toggle shield balancing (*glares at devs* do it already!), sure. But things that take actual timing/decision making? Nah.

At least, not until/if the fleet mode idea pans out, which would be something closer to away teams, but in space. Then being able to modify how they'd behave would be nice. But it'd be about adapting the AI of pets again, not turning your own ship into a bot.
Believe me, I get it...but there is something to be had with respect to fostering a true "crewed" feeling to the ships. As of now, there is no crew really. As of now, the ships are really single pilot vessels with skills/abilities who's activation button has some face on it. There is no real sense or feel that the operation of the ship is shared with other people/entities.

I guess this is becoming more of an issue for me since I've begun having the responsibility of training crew members at my job. Yeah, it is only a 2 man crew, but you begin to recognize how important that the other crew member have some autonomy with respect to operations. Certain things are always done on request, but certain other things are done without saying a word because the crew has been briefed on expect, the special or the normal SOP...things are done or are "pre-loaded" in anticipation on request by the crew memeber in charge. Instead of telling them when to do it, I let them know what I wnat and when...and then when the time comes, they just do it...all i hear is them telling me as they are doing it.

It would be nice if some skills/specials were like that.

Perhaps, we woul dbe limited toonly one stand-by skill per BO...and that would still be limited by only those skills that are allowed to be set to stand-by.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-05-2011, 06:11 PM
how about a compromise with an option that would be similar to the way the away team members work, but also be able to take over if they do something stupid like try to walk through a bulkhead.

that way your ship is more like a set of controllers which you get to choose how they perform. they wont act like bots wasting random abilities the way they do on the ground.

Instead they will have two sets of ability load outs. this applies to all of the slotted systems, its not to make it a bot system, and instead it is to make it work as an optional addition to ship control. this works for all as it can be achieved totally at options. you can use it, Only to make it sensible to have them do things that help you at the given time, but also give you the control if you want it.

one load-out is passives and will automatically trigger in cases like the occasional, oh **** my hull is getting shot up I better deploy an engineering team.

the other Load-Out will be actives for situations you will have to give a fire order for like that massive torpedo salvo just when your targets shields are down.

if worked out this way, if you don't like it you can just turn it off entirely.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-06-2011, 04:51 PM
This game is an arcade space shooter in Star Trek disguise. You act in space as you act on the ground. Buff, Debuff and all the stuff that comes with every MMO. Do i lke it? NO. A more Bridge Commander oriented version would be nicer but that's not happening. As a captain i don't even want to pilot my ship, i wanna issue orders. But on the other hand just spamming button-click-orders would become boring over time i guess. Even fully autonomous BOFFs don't always work as expected. Sometimes i die voluntarily not firing an ability i still have because i know i am outrmatched, so i wait for my death and keep it for the next round. As long as we don't get more abilities with the rank of Fleet Admiral i am ok but i can't handle more.
I already have to use the mouse cursor for minor abilities.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-07-2011, 09:56 AM
All this useless sarcasm aside this system isn't working! So instead of stating what doesn't work, let us try to figure out what does. the best way to figure this out, in case you need the sarcasm to make your point requires us to figure out why it doesn't.

you stated that you had way too many abilities at your admiral level ranks and you just don't have the screen space to use them all effectively, right! but what you failed to do was give any suggestion to even help fix this issue.
I say we need something that doesn't take away abilities but instead make them work more effectively. why not allow for some bridge officer abilities to be scripted in a way, so that don't require your micromanaging in order to make them absolutely effective against this problem. that way you simply don't even need to put them on your skill-tray.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-07-2011, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfsquad_ace View Post
All this useless sarcasm aside this system isn't working so instead of stating what doesn't work let try to figure out what does. the best way to figure this out, in case you need the sarcasm to make your point requires us to figure out why it doesn't.

you stated that you had way too many abilities at your admiral level ranks and you just don't have the screen space to use them all effectively, right! but what you failed to do was give any suggestion to even help fix this issue.
I say we need something that doesn't take away abilities but instead make them work more effectively. why not allow for some bridge officer abilities to be scripted in a way, so that don't require your micromanaging in order to make them absolutely effective against this problem.
In the past, I've proposed the idea of allowing for custom Attack and Defense Patterns. Basically, we would be allowed to combine current BO and Captain skills into limited combos. So basically, I could be allowed to designate "Defensive Pattern X-Ray" as being Emergency Power to shields, plus engine battery, plus blah, blah, etc, etc.

The assumption is that we'd be restricted to only 3-4 skills per custom "Pattern". I'd also assume we'd be limited to the number of custom "Patterns" we can create, perhaps 3 Offensive and 3 Defensive.

The beauty of this, is that we can begin reducing the number of activation slots required, we can reduce of button mashing and we can minimize our exposure and dependence on the p!$$ poor keyboard macro engine in game...it just sucks.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-12-2011, 11:25 AM
you mean like most good single player mmorpg allow nowadays like dragon age ? , be great imho but be prepared for lots of whines by people who want to input and micro manage every detail (they think its skill ) anyway id like to give proactive intruction to my crew too, for what my opnion will be worth to you
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Initially when I read the subject I got excited and thought we'd be talking about ways to have the away team do scanning and other animations.

But you know, I wouldn't mind being able to link together captain and BO skills into a single button press combo. Seeing as I generally fire them off manually in a certain combination anyway.

Would make ground combat run a lot smoother as well. Instead of manually clicking on every single deployable before every fight I could just hit a single one i'd label "skirmish line" (or something) and have them drop the turrets and generators.

I'm all for it.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-13-2011, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canmore
you mean like most good single player mmorpg allow nowadays like dragon age ? , be great imho but be prepared for lots of whines by people who want to input and micro manage every detail (they think its skill ) anyway id like to give proactive intruction to my crew too, for what my opnion will be worth to you
Keep in mind that the traditional style of micro-managing will not go away...the use of "standing orders" woul donly be an additional feature to be utilized as the player's discretion.