Lt. Commander
# 1 Devs - Ship Weapon Tiers
01-14-2011, 03:55 AM
Just an idea for the Devs. Rather than having to get higher tier weapons at VA+ (when the higher tier comes out), can there be a cap placed at XII weapons and instead have more abilities available to captains at those ranks. This would mean that captains wouldn't have to go out and earn more out "x" points to buy the newer weapons.

Instead they could be given the option to (one of, or a mix of):

-Craft special add-ons for their ship (there would be an extra slot for this item, perhaps even a warp core slot? Armour slot? or something completely different)

-Have special earnable abilities (other than the current ones and ship specific ones)

-Or even have the ability to upgrade the current XII weapons for a certain amount of research/EC/Latinum, but less than that which is required to buy new weapons (I'm talking about the Borg weapons which are a pain to get emblems for)
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-14-2011, 04:18 AM
Yep. I support the above. The current system is getting and repetitive... OK just been promoted, sell/recycle all my old weapons and simply get the tier above.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-14-2011, 05:10 AM
We already get special abilities as we level up anyways.

Almost every game out there uses a leveling type system for gear. It's whats known to people and changing that is always scary for the hardcore old school people.

However i think there was a discussion a bit ago about allowing for upgrades to weapons using MA and such just hasn't been done yet. (And i'm too lazy to search :p)
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-14-2011, 07:04 AM
Mk XII should be cap for quite a while and be "state of the art". But there is no reason to make antiproton a 500 points expertise and phaser/disruptor the cheap ones. Only because it's exotic stuff doesn't mean it's harder to master, weapons fire when they fire it doesn't require any skills. If they were more powerful then it would make sense but in fact they are not. I still have a whole complement of antiproton weapons because i thought those were more powerful when i started playing STO. When i found out that phasers do the same job i respec'ed back to phasers and invested the points into something more useful.
Starship energy weapons and starship torpedo weapons should be the only trainable skills to give us more variety in weapons. I am ok with getting new Mk XI or XII consoles to improve those but respec'ing only to use a new type is unnecessary in my opinion.