Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Quote:
costume; the attire worn in a play or at a fancy dress ball; "he won the prize for best costume"
Quote:
uniform; clothing of distinctive design worn by members of a particular group as a means of identification
why do cryptic keep calling uniforms and ship hull/skins costumes? it just makes me cringe everytime I read it..
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
01-14-2011, 03:30 PM
I believe "costume" is a common MMO term that has to do with something that alters the appearance. Also they aren't called the items a costume, its the name of the pack. There is a difference between the actual item and a pack of items.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
01-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Well, you're reading too much into it. Refer to poster above.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
01-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
I believe "costume" is a common MMO term that has to do with something that alters the appearance. Also they aren't called the items a costume, its the name of the pack. There is a difference between the actual item and a pack of items.
never heard anything in an MMO unless it was to do with superheroes called costumes. thinking about it, that's probably why cryptic calls them costumes, since they made Champions Online first right?

also no idea what you are talking about with the name of a "pack", it's not like that at all. just check the c-store and any post cryptic makes with the word costume in it..
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
01-14-2011, 04:09 PM
Feds wear "costumes" because they are a bunch of Clowns?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
01-14-2011, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepidox View Post
never heard anything in an MMO unless it was to do with superheroes called costumes. thinking about it, that's probably why cryptic calls them costumes, since they made Champions Online first right?

also no idea what you are talking about with the name of a "pack", it's not like that at all. just check the c-store and any post cryptic makes with the word costume in it..
I did say "I believe", I never said it was a fact that its a MMO term. Though it could be because of CO.

As for the costume packs, check the C-Store again:

Federation Costume Pack: All Good Things
Federation Costume Pack: The Motion Picture
Federation Costume Pack: Counselor Troi
Federation Costume Pack: Enterprise (22nd Century)

I also want to add that in the case of STO, costume is a general term that incorporates all clothing and ship skin options. It has sub-categories which include but are not limited to uniforms and off-duty.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
01-14-2011, 04:14 PM
I'd prefer to see proper terminology used, even in small matters like this, in order to enhance immersion.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
01-14-2011, 04:22 PM
Its probably more like this? Since Cryptic's 1st game was CoH, and then moved on to Champs, just before STO, they probably use the word 'costumes' to represent any character appearance in the studio. As in this is cryptic's own in-house terminology, and matters little if its STO or not.

Where is immersion involved anyway? If i lived in the star trek universe, i wont be obtaining my stuff from something called a 'c-store'. The c-store interface is something you would normally associate as being part of the 'game' rather than part of the 'universe'.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
01-14-2011, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRevan View Post
Its probably more like this? Since Cryptic's 1st game was CoH, and then moved on to Champs, just before STO, they probably use the word 'costumes' to represent any character appearance in the studio. As in this is cryptic's own in-house terminology, and matters little if its STO or not.

Where is immersion involved anyway? If i lived in the star trek universe, i wont be obtaining my stuff from something called a 'c-store'. The c-store interface is something you would normally associate as being part of the 'game' rather than part of the 'universe'.
eh, but still browsing the site and forums, kind of kills any "mood" AKA immersion you have built up when you read stuff like that.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
01-14-2011, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepidox View Post
why do cryptic keep calling uniforms and ship hull/skins costumes? it just makes me cringe everytime I read it..
Considering how the majority of Feds dress on ESD, the term "costume" is quite appropriate. :p

Also, as you yourself have quoted, the term "uniform" implies distinction and uniformity. Something that does not exist for STO's Starfleet.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:07 PM.