Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 11
01-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryde7
Serious question as I've been debating seriously about getting a lifetime sub as I've been enjoying STO so much lately but then reading in a recent engineering report of the possibility of STO going F2P...just makes me wonder why I should and what I would get for having purchased the lifetime sub above the existing benefits...

Grace
  • You get full access to the game. Free version wouldn't have said access
  • You get 400 cryptic points per month for the life of the game. (4800 per year)

That's why.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkar
There is no way they would restrict F2Pers from giving them money through the c-store.
In fact, it would make more sense to make available in the c-store for silvers features that are normally available for subbers. Say for example, you're ok with having an exp limit, fewer missions, etc, in the free silver account, but you do want more than one character slot. Or perhaps restrict weekly feature series to subbers, but allow silvers to buy them as a episode pack.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-14-2011, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRevan View Post
In fact, it would make more sense to make available in the c-store for silvers features that are normally available for subbers. Say for example, you're ok with having an exp limit, fewer missions, etc, in the free silver account, but you do want more than one character slot. Or perhaps restrict weekly feature series to subbers, but allow silvers to buy them as a episode pack.
Thats how Champs will do it. You will be able to purchase some of the features that are available to normal subscribers individually if you want.

http://www.champions-online.com/f2p_matrix
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-14-2011, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Thats how Champs will do it. You will be able to purchase some of the features that are available to normal subscribers individually if you want.

http://www.champions-online.com/f2p_matrix
Yeah i know about that. I didnt come up with it out of the blue :p

You're always on top of these f2p threads, nagus...theres not much need for anyone else to post on them
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-14-2011, 03:18 PM
Quote:
As that term is subjective and does not have an official definition, it can mean different things to different people. And while it is true that Cryptic is waiting to see how things go with Champs, we have absolutely no idea how soon or long they will wait before making their decision. So saying that it ISNT around the corner is just as "incorrect" as saying it IS. The only FACT is, we dont know.
around the corner : imminent; very soon

I think we can all agree that F2P isn't imminent nor is it very soon. I believe Stahl said they were waiting until either the end of January or February to see the results of CO. I don't remember where on the forum I read it though. Even if they are waiting until the end of January, they will still need time to make the decision, prepare the game and accounts for such a system. Then implement it. So "around the corner" isn't likely.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-14-2011, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
around the corner : imminent; very soon
I'm sorry, but those words are equally subjective, especially when your talking about MMOs and development time. My point is simply that since we dont KNOW the amount of time it will be before this hypothetical event occurs, then to use ANY term that implies length of time is equally correct or incorrect. But one term is not "more" correct than another.

Therefore, if you disagree with the term the OP used, then the correct response would have been "we dont know that", not "your wrong", because you dont actually KNOW he's wrong. All you know is that neither you nor he have any idea how long it will be.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Again I want to point out that many people who are predicting/hoping for F2P aren't doing so because they believe it will be good for the community and Cryptic as a Business, to them F2P is a sign of failure..and they desperately want both this game and Cryptic to fail.

Petty isn't it?
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by storm_dragon View Post
Again I want to point out that many people who are predicting/hoping for F2P aren't doing so because they believe it will be good for the community and Cryptic as a Business, to them F2P is a sign of failure..and they desperately want both this game and Cryptic to fail.

Petty isn't it?
I want to happen and succeed because more revenue = more development resources = more content for ME
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Quote:
I'm sorry, but those words are equally subjective, especially when your talking about MMOs and development time. My point is simply that since we dont KNOW the amount of time it will be before this hypothetical event occurs, then to use ANY term that implies length of time is equally correct or incorrect. But one term is not "more" correct than another.

Therefore, if you disagree with the term the OP used, then the correct response would have been "we dont know that", not "your wrong", because you dont actually KNOW he's wrong. All you know is that neither you nor he have any idea how long it will be.
"Around the corner" and other synonyms of it refer to a relatively shorter period of time which we can agree is not the case. If F2P is coming, it won't be here within the next month or two, possibly three. Also I never said he was wrong, I said that it isn't around the corner. While I don't know if/when F2P will come, I do know we won't see if before the end of February; and frankly between now and then can be considered very soon as compared to March and later.

We can debate all day about "around the corner" and neither of us will change the other's mind so lets just leave it at you have your own view on it and so do I.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-14-2011, 03:45 PM
Quote:
"Around the corner" and other synonyms of it refer to a relatively shorter period of time which we can agree is not the case.
Shorter than what? The OP did not state any specific amount of time, so what he meant is purely subjective.

Quote:
If F2P is coming, it won't be here within the next month or two, possibly three.
That is most likely true.

Quote:
Also I never said he was wrong, I said that it isn't around the corner.
He said it was around the corner, you said it wasnt. Therefore, you directly implied he was wrong.

Quote:
While I don't know if/when F2P will come, I do know we won't see if before the end of February; and frankly between now and then can be considered very soon as compared to March and later.
Except the OP gave no point of reference, so you are simply assuming you know what he meant when you in fact do not.

Quote:
We can debate all day about "around the corner" and neither of us will change the other's mind so lets just leave it at you have your own view on it and so do I.
That appears to be the case, although I would hope you would see the clarity of logic without being biased by your own preconception and assumption of what the OP meant.
Closed Thread