Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Little known fact! If discount you buy everything at the 20% discount in the Cstore, it would only cost you $150! Thats awesome! For a game that hasn't even been out a year, you would already have purchased 4 to 5 expansions in other company MMO's? To think, you would only need to spend $150 right now to get the complete game that you deserve! Buy now! All of the costume updates, all of the extra ships, every race that you deserve to have for the Federation able to be created and used. This even includes the ability to be a more flexible captain and have an advantage of other captains. Thats right! Cheat codes! Have extra Bridge officers to train and even, have more of the ships you want!

Its like buying Energy Credits, but, they are coming right from the company! Now you know that it has to be legit! So hurry up! You only have until Jan 3th of 2011 to buy your 5 expansion packs!


Now that that is out of the way.

I really do think that is rather bad that Crypt is taken advantage of those people who have a need for all things Star Trek. I know they did the same for their other MMO, but really, right now, if you want to buy everything for the Federation Side, this would cause you over $150. They should be praised for keeping up with the new content, however, they are using the free to play strategy, with a game, you are already paying.

I would be interested to see how much money they make on these microtransations, and just how much people realize how much extra money they are paying into, virtual goods that can't be transfered. We all know going into an MMORPG, that we will sink time into it, we will get, "phat lewts" or however thats called, and we all know that in the long term, it really means nothing. Our monthly subscriptions (for those of us who do not have the lifer plan) go to supporting the game and keeping it running (no i'm not saying that the lifers subscriptions don't do this too), however, now we are being teased with more content, but, if we want it all, we must pay a lot more than we should.

Now, how upset to you think that those lifer subscription people could be? If I would have bought a lifetime subscription it would have been so I did not have to buy anything else for this game. Now to find out, if I want to be better, then I need to buy extra stuff to perform better. I would be flipping out!

Now, if my research is correct, the other MMO started in September of 2009, and has two expansion packs free of charge. If we take the same information from STO and apply that to the other MMO, would could safely assume, that each expansion pack, could have costed upwards of $75 dollars.

Marketing is marketing, I just wanted to point out that while free, expansion packs seem cheap, we are missing out on some of the details in the game, if we end up not paying for all of these "extras".
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
12-28-2010, 08:58 PM
I am sorry, but I honestly don't think I understand your point and your pricing is way off.
Expansion packs usually cost between 20 and 40 dollars US and most games release one or two a year at most, some go for years without an expansion pack and some never charge for any expansions.

The CStore does not in any way add content, it mostly adds baubles and I don't mind buying the baubles personally. I don't appreciate doing business what a company that is tantamount to a den of cutpurses however.

That is the problem with overgeneralizing this industry by the way, SWG hasn't had an expansion in years as far as I can recall. CCP just released a new Eve Online expansion for free this month and has never charged more than the monthly subscription fee. WoW's expansions are 35.00 or 45.00 last I checked and they charge for every expansion. There is no way of really generalizing the MMORPG market since there is so little consistency throughout.

It is also in no way like purchasing EC legitimately since the items can never be sold or transferred, even the components on the ships are worth nothing ingame.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
12-29-2010, 10:04 AM
As I've stated before numerous times, I have nothing against the C-Store (or any micro-transaction store, for that matter) as a concept. However, my beef is with the way the company is handling it. Sure, some of us would buy everything up for sale without batting an eye (Star Trek fans are kinda like that), and I would probably be no exception but for a few issues that I personally have.

I bought some of the stuff, most of it before the store started getting out of hand, but I only bought around 500-1000CP. Everything else was from free points given away. Will I buy more points? Most likely not considering my distaste for the amount of crap and non-uniform pricing strategy. But I'm just one person voting with their wallet. A lot of people are turned off by the store and refuse to buy anything anymore. And I'm one of them. Unless I get free points I'm not spending a single energy credit on this stuff.

That doesn't mean that I'm not supportive of the game and the development team, though. I bought an LTS pre-launch because I saw potential here. I still do, but with marketing calling the shots on what to put up for sale, and for what insane price, the game could potentially self-destruct from people who see this product as money-grubbing from Cryptari.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
12-29-2010, 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedomrunning View Post
Little known fact! If discount you buy everything at the 20% discount in the Cstore, it would only cost you $150! Thats awesome! For a game that hasn't even been out a year, you would already have purchased 4 to 5 expansions in other company MMO's? To think, you would only need to spend $150 right now to get the complete game that you deserve! Buy now! All of the costume updates, all of the extra ships, every race that you deserve to have for the Federation able to be created and used. This even includes the ability to be a more flexible captain and have an advantage of other captains. Thats right! Cheat codes! Have extra Bridge officers to train and even, have more of the ships you want!

Its like buying Energy Credits, but, they are coming right from the company! Now you know that it has to be legit! So hurry up! You only have until Jan 3th of 2011 to buy your 5 expansion packs!


Now that that is out of the way.

I really do think that is rather bad that Crypt is taken advantage of those people who have a need for all things Star Trek. I know they did the same for their other MMO, but really, right now, if you want to buy everything for the Federation Side, this would cause you over $150. They should be praised for keeping up with the new content, however, they are using the free to play strategy, with a game, you are already paying.

I would be interested to see how much money they make on these microtransations, and just how much people realize how much extra money they are paying into, virtual goods that can't be transfered. We all know going into an MMORPG, that we will sink time into it, we will get, "phat lewts" or however thats called, and we all know that in the long term, it really means nothing. Our monthly subscriptions (for those of us who do not have the lifer plan) go to supporting the game and keeping it running (no i'm not saying that the lifers subscriptions don't do this too), however, now we are being teased with more content, but, if we want it all, we must pay a lot more than we should.

Now, how upset to you think that those lifer subscription people could be? If I would have bought a lifetime subscription it would have been so I did not have to buy anything else for this game. Now to find out, if I want to be better, then I need to buy extra stuff to perform better. I would be flipping out!

Now, if my research is correct, the other MMO started in September of 2009, and has two expansion packs free of charge. If we take the same information from STO and apply that to the other MMO, would could safely assume, that each expansion pack, could have costed upwards of $75 dollars.

Marketing is marketing, I just wanted to point out that while free, expansion packs seem cheap, we are missing out on some of the details in the game, if we end up not paying for all of these "extras".
Hum... By your reasoning WoW, EVE or any other MMPORG that ever sold an addon should have giving it for free instead of selling them to the player that wanted to experience these Update...

Also, you seem to have forgotten that Cryptic already did 3 update for free and more are coming. I am not talking about the bug fix here, I am talking the content added like the change to the map and crafting system. All the thing that they added could have be kept and released only with an addon an sold them.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
12-29-2010, 08:02 PM
Its not so much they should give away expansions, I am saying that with everything included in the c-store, would cost as much as almost 4 expansions, if we want to experience EVERYTHING the game has to offer. Them offering free missions, is all well and good, but, when it comes to content, just for one year of playing, we would have to spend an extra $150 at a discounted price, just to get everything so we can experience it. They are saying that our subscription fee's are not good enough, we have to charge them for extras. If you played another MMO would you pay $150 for an expansion pack?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
12-29-2010, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedomrunning View Post
Its not so much they should give away expansions, I am saying that with everything included in the c-store, would cost as much as almost 4 expansions, if we want to experience EVERYTHING the game has to offer. Them offering free missions, is all well and good, but, when it comes to content, just for one year of playing, we would have to spend an extra $150 at a discounted price, just to get everything so we can experience it. They are saying that our subscription fee's are not good enough, we have to charge them for extras. If you played another MMO would you pay $150 for an expansion pack?
Again, your pricing is off, to purchase everything in the CStore would cost closer to 200.00 and add no real content to the game. So far, all actual content has been included with the purchase and subsequent subscription to the game. Not too much so far but it has actually been coming nicely given the amount of time they were given for initial development and the fact that the game is not quite a year old. If it can survive, there should be quite a lot of content by Spring and even more if you include the UGC.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
12-29-2010, 11:23 PM
Your argument is flawed.

Half the BS in the C-Store should'n have been there in the first place.

21'st sentury sexy dresses and ****** suits? Thats not part of Trek, and it is almost barely a part of the game (it's rare to see anyone wearing it).

Would wearing the suit change your perception of the game, or the way the game turned out? Answer is NO.

Would having the GalaxyX or the T5 Excelsior have done this? NO.

You're treating the C-Store Stuff as if it was content adding to the game. It is not... The C-Store material are Add'Ons designed to boost sales and give people who WANT it a extra trinket to show off with..

How do I know?

Well if there was a mission saying:
- Take a GalaxyX to the YY-nebula because you can't fight there without it.

Or:
- To convince RandomNPC to join our cause, wear a 21'st century suit.

But there is not. No requirement in-game to buy ANY of the stuff in the C-Store.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
12-30-2010, 09:39 PM
I agree, most of the C-store stuff should be in the game already. Which is my point. We are paying for the game as it is. The only things that the C-Store should have is the presell bonus's, BO slots, extra character slots, and the bonus items for any promotions such as the recruitment program. And again, you are 100% correct that none of the stuff that is on the C-Store is required, however, they are unbalancing. The Excelsor Refit has something no other ship does within the RA ranks, which is 3 engineering office stations. Now, if I want that refit for PVPing, I need to buy it it with real money. So, it is an unfair advantage for someone who has the ability to pay more real money, for in-game items. New Races in the C-store are the same thing, they have different stats, and different combination of stats, that may be benificial, if I wanted them, I would have to buy them, so if I want to make myself a better captain, I would need to spend real money, again. The advantage goes to the person who has more money to buy better items to give themselves an advantage over others.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
12-31-2010, 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedomrunning View Post
I agree, most of the C-store stuff should be in the game already. Which is my point. We are paying for the game as it is. The only things that the C-Store should have is the presell bonus's, BO slots, extra character slots, and the bonus items for any promotions such as the recruitment program. And again, you are 100% correct that none of the stuff that is on the C-Store is required, however, they are unbalancing. The Excelsor Refit has something no other ship does within the RA ranks, which is 3 engineering office stations. Now, if I want that refit for PVPing, I need to buy it it with real money. So, it is an unfair advantage for someone who has the ability to pay more real money, for in-game items. New Races in the C-store are the same thing, they have different stats, and different combination of stats, that may be benificial, if I wanted them, I would have to buy them, so if I want to make myself a better captain, I would need to spend real money, again. The advantage goes to the person who has more money to buy better items to give themselves an advantage over others.
Oh this thread again.
Ok here we go. You can make the best possible captain in the game by making an alien and picking all four of your traits. There is no race in the c-store that makes a better captain right now. And the top end ships in there also give no advantage, trading one BO slot off for another is a gimmick not an advantage. With out a gimmick they aren't ships they are just skins.

You don't like the store, don't buy from it. You feel cheated that the store exists, stop paying your monthly sub.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
12-31-2010, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Your argument is flawed.

Half the BS in the C-Store should'n have been there in the first place.

21'st sentury sexy dresses and ****** suits? Thats not part of Trek, and it is almost barely a part of the game (it's rare to see anyone wearing it).

Would wearing the suit change your perception of the game, or the way the game turned out? Answer is NO.

Would having the GalaxyX or the T5 Excelsior have done this? NO.

You're treating the C-Store Stuff as if it was content adding to the game. It is not... The C-Store material are Add'Ons designed to boost sales and give people who WANT it a extra trinket to show off with..

How do I know?

Well if there was a mission saying:
- Take a GalaxyX to the YY-nebula because you can't fight there without it.

Or:
- To convince RandomNPC to join our cause, wear a 21'st century suit.

But there is not. No requirement in-game to buy ANY of the stuff in the C-Store.
Hey now I see people wearing the formal outfits all the time. Just go to dance parties and such :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVargazm
Oh this thread again.
Ok here we go. You can make the best possible captain in the game by making an alien and picking all four of your traits. There is no race in the c-store that makes a better captain right now. And the top end ships in there also give no advantage, trading one BO slot off for another is a gimmick not an advantage. With out a gimmick they aren't ships they are just skins.

You don't like the store, don't buy from it. You feel cheated that the store exists, stop paying your monthly sub.
QFT
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:23 AM.