Lt. Commander
# 71
01-17-2011, 08:36 AM
Well, I guess I'll go do something with my day off besides looking @ the login screen....thanks a lot, Cryptic/Atari....your loss is my back yard's gain.
Lt. Commander
# 72
01-17-2011, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daragoz
Quite honestly, I often wonder if people truly understand the amount of work that goes into maintenance of a server pool. if an entire system is going down most likely the cause is changing the server pool to a new location, changing the entire firmware, changing out the entire server pool for new hardware.... The list can truly go on forever. Between the environmental systems, firmware, Backbone bridge network, Login server, forum server set, Hub systems, hot swap arrays, Back up generator system, Emergency systems, and numerous other things, Maintenance can take time. Just be patient. I want to play just as much as anyone else does, yet I understand the dynamics of the equation. The reason they have not posted anything is most likely because they are truly to busy and are trying to get to it among a list of numerous things to get done on a time table. Believe me, Atari and Cryptic want your money so the system will be back up as soon as possible regardless of scheduling. I am sure the system will be back up before long unless a catastrophic failure in the system infrastructure has gone haywire or totally crashed. Hope to see everyone in-game.
Copy and Paste... making people sound smart for years.
Lt. Commander
# 73
01-17-2011, 08:39 AM
Cryptic !!

We .... Need .... Infoooooo ...

I u don't have it, call Atari and scream in the phone !
Lt. Commander
# 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomere View Post
I just bought something in C-store so its working fine.
My first purchase of CP's ... Was surprised how easy it was ;D
People with kids .... Engage the children locks ^^
At least the thing that lets them take your money is working.. Not really surprised..
Lt. Commander
# 75 @Daragoz
I agree with ya mate let's hope the servers havent died in a terrible freak accident of crossing wires or static electricity im sure they will be up in about 20 mins.
Lt. Commander
# 76
You know I always find the grief in these downtime threads amusing:

"Its a public holiday" (Well clearly these guys aren't on holiday so it's business as normal)
"It's midday europe" (I fall into this one, yet you don't see me whine every time the servers down)
"It's MY day off" (This little arrogant remark really wants to make me reach for a bat'leth)

Technology requires updates and maintenance or it fails, and some games spend more time KO'd than Cryptics games (I would like to point to eves daily downtime and the fact their playerbase which is probably larger than STO's doesn't complain even half as much). I would also like to point out that just because you wan't the server on it doesn't mean it has to be running, welcome to the world of MMO's.

So people please, sit back, relax, have a milkshake and let the techies get on with their work.

(P.S. For those that want to know, yes you may complain that the downtime has gone on longer than expected and state that they need to better calculate their donwtimes, but please keep it moderate)
Lt. Commander
# 77
01-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdjohnston
better prepare a 7 course meal and after dinner cocktails..maybe even a brandy and cigar after....
LOL

I'll stick to a single course on this most ordinary of Mondays - but I might go for the brandy, though :p
Lt. Commander
# 78
01-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daragoz
Quite honestly, I often wonder if people truly understand the amount of work that goes into maintenance of a server pool. if an entire system is going down most likely the cause is changing the server pool to a new location, changing the entire firmware, changing out the entire server pool for new hardware.... The list can truly go on forever. Between the environmental systems, firmware, Backbone bridge network, Login server, forum server set, Hub systems, hot swap arrays, Back up generator system, Emergency systems, and numerous other things, Maintenance can take time. Just be patient. I want to play just as much as anyone else does, yet I understand the dynamics of the equation. The reason they have not posted anything is most likely because they are truly to busy and are trying to get to it among a list of numerous things to get done on a time table. Believe me, Atari and Cryptic want your money so the system will be back up as soon as possible regardless of scheduling. I am sure the system will be back up before long unless a catastrophic failure in the system infrastructure has caused the system to go haywire or totally crashed. Hope to see everyone in-game.
Okay, then maybe they should multiply their estimates by a factor of four, like a famous engineer once suggested...then we'll all be thrilled when it doesn't take 20 hours.
Lt. Commander
# 79
01-17-2011, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherPower
Okay, then maybe they should multiply their estimates by a factor of four, like a famous engineer once suggested...then we'll all be thrilled when it doesn't take 20 hours.
Having worked in the clinical setting, I am aware that this is the modus operandi of many professionals. Because it works.
Lt. Commander
# 80
01-17-2011, 08:42 AM
Hello from Earth Space Dock