Lt. Commander
It has been shown as a proven and practical CANON fact in the ST Universe, that the capabilities of a ship are very closely linked to the capability of it's Commanding & Chief Officer [Captain, Commodore, Admiral] Pick your preffered rank for refernce.

For example: The Constitution Class vessel NCC1701, and NCC1701A Had first 1 captain, then 3 captains.
Captain Kirk, then Captian / Commander Decker (Motion Picture), Admiral Kirk, and finally Captain Spock.

Each oficer has their own way of doing things, and it is all based on wha they know of their ship.
As such, officers get promoted, and their abilities generaly increase.

I am not suggesting you expand the number of bridge officers for spmaller ships,.. but allow for higher rank officers to man said stations with all of thier abilities available to access.

Exapmle: Nova Class allows
Tactical: Ensign (1) - Engineering: Ensign (1) - Science: Ensign (1), Lieutenant (1)

I suggest the following idea.
Allow for scaling of the Bridge officers ONLY.
Vice Admirals: Should have acces to an all COMMANDER ranked BO crew, regardless of ship limitations.
Rear Admirals (Upper & Lower) Should have access to a bridge officer of Commander in the Ship Classes dominant Role, and a LT Commander of the Class of thier commanding chief officer. Example: A Tac-RearAdmiral piloting a Nova, would have access: 1 Commander Sci BO, and 1 COmmander Tac BO, with all other remaining BO slots being fielded by a Lieutenant
Captains : This rank should only have access crew BO position with LT being a Lt Commander, and Ensigns being LT. No option for increasing BO's based on Commanding Chief's Class.

In the event this is too complicated to put into effect,.. then I suggest the following for simplicity.
VA's can field Commanders in all BO positions.
All other ranks are restricted to the following fomula: Each class is now fielded by the next higher grade in rank for the BO position in question. Commander in this event unfortunately remains Commander. So Ensign becomes Lieutentant, Lieutenant become LT Commander, LT Commander becomes commander.

Look At all the Star Trek information available to us. These rank options for Bridge Officers are "in my opinion" fairly realistic, considering the storyline information available.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Since you are speaking about canon then I must say it isn't possible for there to be an all Commander crew. If you watched the Voyager series Ensign Harry Kim was a bit annoyed that he was still an Ensign. He felt that if they didn't get lost in the Delta quadrant that he would've received a promotion (this was part of the later seasons of the series). However since they were stranded he wasn't receiving a promotion because there was no place for him to go.

Aside from that, there hasn't been a single series where the entire bridge crew had the same rank. This is the reason why bridge officer stations have specific ranks. The only reason we are allowed to promote all bridge officers to the rank of Commander is for ground combat, so that all four BOs on the ground can use all their abilities where it is most important.

Basically in STO you have to consider the Bridge Officer stations as the official rank of the BO using it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-17-2011, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
If you watched the Voyager series Ensign Harry Kim was a bit annoyed that he was still an Ensign. He felt that if they didn't get lost in the Delta quadrant that he would've received a promotion.
Specifically that was the episode Nightingale, Season Seven. And Harry made sure to make it clear that he wasn't upset about it. He was just making a point.

Quote:
Basically in STO you have to consider the Bridge Officer stations as the official rank of the BO using it.
That's how I rank mine as far as the uniforms go for the most part. BOffs that do not man a console vary from Crewman to Lt. Commander depending on the position I've given them. For instance, my Chief Medical Officer does not man a console yet she is a Lt. Commander (while actually being a Commander in-game rank).

Lt. Commander
# 4
01-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Now, I'm all for Admirals getting some sort of special benefits, but I'm not sure an all Cmdr BO slotted ship is the way to do it. As pointed out, it's not quite canon. Not only that, it would throw combat way out of whack. Commander slots theoretically get the most powerful BO powers, and giving someone all of the best powers is not a good way to provide them with a challenge.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-17-2011, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Since you are speaking about canon then I must say it isn't possible for there to be an all Commander crew. If you watched the Voyager series Ensign Harry Kim was a bit annoyed that he was still an Ensign. He felt that if they didn't get lost in the Delta quadrant that he would've received a promotion (this was part of the later seasons of the series). However since they were stranded he wasn't receiving a promotion because there was no place for him to go.

Aside from that, there hasn't been a single series where the entire bridge crew had the same rank. This is the reason why bridge officer stations have specific ranks. The only reason we are allowed to promote all bridge officers to the rank of Commander is for ground combat, so that all four BOs on the ground can use all their abilities where it is most important.

Kim really shouldn't feel bad. Data didn't get a promotion throughout all of TNG (including the movies), yet La Forge was promoted from a Lieutenant, JG all the way up to a Lieutenant Commander during the series. Worf made LtC during Generations, even Riker made Captain (at least twice). But Data was stuck at LtC the entire 7+ years.

Not to mention, the current system is about what it is on most ships anyway.

On larger ships, you have a Captain in charge, a Commander as XO, and LtC's as department heads, ensigns and lieutenants sometimes working as shift leaders.

On smaller ships, you could even have a Commander in charge (Sisko on DS9 / Defiant), or evena LtC (Worf on the Defiant).

I won't bother posting it all here, but look at the Command Crews of a few canon ships as reference:

(TOS) USS Enterprise NCC-1701
(TNG) USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D (and E)
(DS9) USS Defiant NX-74205
(Voy) USS Voyager NCC-74656
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-18-2011, 08:20 AM
Just curious and please forgive me if I am mistaken, but didnt the TNG Enterprise D and/or E (either at end of series or in movies) have Four Commanders at one time; (Will, Deanna, Beverly & Geordi?)
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-18-2011, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawz786 View Post
Just curious and please forgive me if I am mistaken, but didnt the TNG Enterprise D and/or E (either at end of series or in movies) have Four Commanders at one time; (Will, Deanna, Beverly & Geordi?)
Will had been a Commander

Deanna made Commander in the series

Beverly had been a Commander

Geordi never made Commander in the series or movies

Although out of all of them, Geordi and Will are technically the only Bridge crew. Beverly was chief medical officer and Deanna was a councilor. They didn't control any consoles on the bridge, however being senior officers they did have the ability to.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-18-2011, 09:22 AM
According to Memory Alpha, Geordi was not a commander by the time Nemesis rolled around. In an alternate future, he's a captain, but he has his own ship by then.
Lt. Commander
# 9 corrcetion
01-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Will had been a Commander

Deanna made Commander in the series

Beverly had been a Commander

Geordi never made Commander in the series or movies

Although out of all of them, Geordi and Will are technically the only Bridge crew. Beverly was chief medical officer and Deanna was a councilor. They didn't control any consoles on the bridge, however being senior officers they did have the ability to.
While the listing are correct the information behind them is not.

The flagship of the federation can have multiple ranking officers because it represents the federation in a diplomatic and combative way.

This is the offical chain of command on the bridge of the enterprise.

Capatin picard
Commander Riker
Lt Cmdr Data
Cmdr troy
Cmdr beverly crusher
Lt cmdr Laforge
Lt Worf

many of you are amist to why the command structure is this way. Well that is where captains peragative comes into play. Picard and riker are a given, but some of you do not understand why data was a Lt cmdr for so long. its simple. in 2365 android rights where enacted by the federation. This meant that he could go up in rank rather then just departmental duties. What some of you also did not notice is that Lt Cmdr data was also made Cmdr rank when captain jerico releived riker. He was then put back to lt Cmdr rank after picards return. Data was always the third in command on the "D" The reason for this is because after riker he has the greatous command experience as well as operations commander of the enterprise "D" This was the full bridge crew of the enterprise D.

Despite cryptics ability to not have a time line in this game that includes us as players apart of that time line. Our main character as well as bridge officers do not rank over time but by skill points alone. STo does not use star trek attributes such as time and skills in a rank to allow for a new rank position.

One last note if you listen to the begining of well star trek TNG and the TMP star trek you will hear one key phrase. "these are the voyages of the star trek enterprise" makes sense now people. I hope it does.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-18-2011, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFP-Magnis View Post
While the listing are correct the information behind them is not.

The flagship of the federation can have multiple ranking officers because it represents the federation in a diplomatic and combative way.

This is the offical chain of command on the bridge of the enterprise.

Capatin picard
Commander Riker
Lt Cmdr Data
Cmdr troy
Cmdr beverly crusher
Lt cmdr Laforge
Lt Worf
I never mentioned anything about rankings, I stated the difference between a bridge crew and non-bridge crew, at least in terms of the game. Basically on the bridge of every ship we've seen in the series, the bridge is made up of differently ranked officers posted at different consoles. Since this is a common practice among starfleet vessels that is the reason why in-game we have each console limiting the rank.

The chain of command really has no affect on who gets stationed at what console, simply their career path. Beverly was not officially on the bridge and posted at a console even though she is a senior officer. Her duty was chief medical officer, not a position on the bridge.

I hope I clarified what I meant in my last post. If not I'll try again. I'm a sick at the moment so my brain isn't functioning within normal parameters :p lol