Lt. Commander
# 21
01-20-2011, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceaddict View Post
And this begets the question:

Where are my pets?
I don't know where you keep your pets, but mine is usually on the bed next to my computer or curled up in my lap when I play. He gets all excited when I tell him to raise the shields.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-20-2011, 09:22 AM
´
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKalamity View Post
Didn't see much of DS9 did ya? The fed's had wings of fighters, I believe they were called Peregrines, but don't quote me on that.
Actually, the Peregrines were refitted civilian courier shuttles that Starfleet Academy occasionally uses as a trainer (before DS9 they were only known to be used by the Maquis). They've thrown them in with the fleet because Operation Return was an "all or nothing" kind of battle, as Starfleet would've had no chance would the Dominion have succeeded to bring its reinforcements through the wormhole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnwan View Post
"Do all" super ships are not as entertaining as folks might think.
Indeed. This includes the first draft of the Akira. I swear, the only things missing were a phase cloak and a transwarp drive.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-20-2011, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
´Actually, the Peregrines were refitted civilian courier shuttles that Starfleet Academy occasionally uses as a trainer (before DS9 they were only known to be used by the Maquis). They've thrown them in with the fleet because Operation Return was an "all or nothing" kind of battle, as Starfleet would've had no chance would the Dominion have succeeded to bring its reinforcements through the wormhole.
As I recall, it was never really clear what the Peregrine-class was, especially since it was never seen in the episode it was mentioned in. It could have either been the "Federation Fighters" or the ship Chakotay piloted in "Caretaker."
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-20-2011, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archanubis
As I recall, it was never really clear what the Peregrine-class was, especially since it was never seen in the episode it was mentioned in. It could have either been the "Federation Fighters" or the ship Chakotay piloted in "Caretaker."
From the dialogue in Heart of Stone:

Kira: "They've just been attacked by a Maquis interceptor."
Odo: "Long-range sensors are detecting a modified Peregrine-class courier ship. Lightly armed, one man crew, bearing two-six-eight mark three-zero-one."
Kira: "The Maquis use Peregrine-class courier ships."

In the episode The Maquis we see the Maquis use the very same ship later labeled "Attack Fighters" by Sisko, and the description from Heart of Stone fits. They get into a dogfight with the Runabouts from DS9 and are outgunned and outmaneuvered by them.

Chakotay's Raider was a Ju'day. Somewhat similar in shape, but much larger and with a much bigger crew. The hull similarities (non-canon mentions that they exist because both ships are produced by the same company) often cause Trek fans to confuse the Peregrine with the Ju'day.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Quote:
From the dialogue in Heart of Stone:

Kira: "They've just been attacked by a Maquis interceptor."
Odo: "Long-range sensors are detecting a modified Peregrine-class courier ship. Lightly armed, one man crew, bearing two-six-eight mark three-zero-one."
Kira: "The Maquis use Peregrine-class courier ships."

In the episode The Maquis we see the Maquis use the very same ship later labeled "Attack Fighters" by Sisko, and the description from Heart of Stone fits. They get into a dogfight with the Runabouts from DS9 and are outgunned and outmaneuvered by them.

Chakotay's Raider was a Ju'day. Somewhat similar in shape, but much larger and with a much bigger crew. The hull similarities (non-canon mentions that they exist because both ships are produced by the same company) often cause Trek fans to confuse the Peregrine with the Ju'day.
As I said, it was never seen. It could have been a wholy differing design from the other two. "The Maquis" depicts a crew of two in at least one, and Chakotay's ship has an indeterminate amount. Either could have been operated by a single pilot, I guess.

And when was Chakotay's Raider referred to as a "Ju'day?" Granted, I have watched much of Voyager past Seven's introduction or the last episodes, but I never recalled them ever stated what type of ship it was.

Ex Astris Scientia article on the "true" Peregrine-class.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-20-2011, 09:58 AM
Well, either way the "Attack Fighters" showed up in the hands of civilian settlers (Maquis) first and Starfleet later and only once, so it seems clear to me that they're not military designs. That, and that they are inferior to a Runabout.

Granted, I kind of adopted the habit of calling them Peregrines because I like things to have a name, and even if it's just conjecture, there is nothing that would suggest a contradiction, so...

STO labels them as Peregrines, too, by the way. And if we keep in mind that CBS has to sign off on that kind of stuff...

Quote:
And when was Chakotay's Raider referred to as a "Ju'day?"
Just a small background reference, but it was in the episode Repression. Memory Alpha mentions it here.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Quote:
STO labels them as Peregrines, too, by the way. And if we keep in mind that CBS has to sign off on that kind of stuff...
Probably for convenience, I'd imagine. You have to call them something.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Probably for convenience, I'd imagine. You have to call them something.
Would be awesome if they were just called 'Something'.

And then the players get them. And there are cries to nerf Somethings. And people try to sell them. Oh, imagine the chaos!
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-20-2011, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Probably for convenience, I'd imagine.
Well, would not be the first time something became canon just because of that.

Also, yes @ chaos!

Something something attack fighter
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-20-2011, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Well, would not be the first time something became canon just because of that.

Also, yes @ chaos!

Something something attack fighter
And could you imagine the scene on the bridge?

Tac Officer: Sir, there is Something on our scanners.
Captain: What is it?
Tac Officer: It's three Somethings, sir. They are coming in fast.
Captain: Sounds serious. Can you identify what they are?
Tac Officer: They are definitely Somethings.
Captain: Can you be more specific?
Tac Officer: Yeah. They are Somethings.

Would be like Who's on First, except in Star Trek.