Lt. Commander
# 1 How to screenshot?
01-18-2011, 09:50 AM
Usually it's print screen or F12 but neither work for me. F12 brings up the HUD rearrange menu, Print Screen doesn't do anything. I've not rebound any keys, they're the default from when I downloaded the client off the website, lol. Anyhelp greatly appreciated.

Note: I would prefer not to install fraps, please don't recommend it
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-18-2011, 10:08 AM
printscreen works but you need to find the right folder where star trek is installed. there will be a folder that says screenshots.

or is that folder still empty even after pressing printscreen?
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-18-2011, 10:11 AM
Still empty, I googled for it for a while and every thread on here says it's F12 still for some reason as welll...
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-18-2011, 10:11 AM
In my experience, in the chat bar, I just type screenshot. There are multiple variants, I believe that screenshot_jpg puts it in a screenshot folder as a .jpg file. I'm sure there is an easier way to do it, but that is how I do.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-18-2011, 10:14 AM
When you hit PrntScrn the game automatically takes that screen shot and puts in your Cryptic/STO/screenshot folder. To find your screenshot folder go to /Crograms and Files:Cryptic:STO (or something like that) and find your screenshots folder.

I find it best to create a shortcut and put that directly in my Pictures folder for easy reference.

Also, using PrntScrn will save a copy of the image in your clipboard. If you open MS Paint or something similar you can paste it there and save it using that program. This is how you get screen shots of the Tailor screens with all of the UI.

Lt. Commander
# 6
01-18-2011, 10:17 AM
Edit: Never mind; apparently I had two copies of the game files or something. My screenshots were being saved in Users/Public/Something/Something/Directory/Something as opposed to where my games are normally installed.(and where I have another copy of STO apparently) Although I'm confused when I Googled 'how to screeenshot in sto' it took me to multiple threads on this forum stating it was F12 - was this changed recently?

Edit 2: http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/3...1011622300.jpg Pic of my new KDF character that my fiancee made, lol.(The whole reason I was trying to find the SS folder since she loves pics of her characters)
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-18-2011, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by loyaltrekie View Post
Edit: Never mind; apparently I had two copies of the game files or something. My screenshots were being saved in Users/Public/Something/Something/Directory/Something as opposed to where my games are normally installed.(and where I have another copy of STO apparently) Although I'm confused when I Googled 'how to screeenshot in sto' it took me to multiple threads on this forum stating it was F12 - was this changed recently?

Edit 2: http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/3...1011622300.jpg Pic of my new KDF character that my fiancee made, lol.(The whole reason I was trying to find the SS folder since she loves pics of her characters)
I don't know. I've never used F12 myself. It's always been the Rearrange HUD button as far as I know.

As for having two STO folders, if you are set up for testing on Tribble, this would be normal. The game has separate files for the Tribble server. Any screen shots you take while on Tribble would appear there.

And nice screen shot, btw.

Lt. Commander
# 8
01-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
I don't know. I've never used F12 myself. It's always been the Rearrange HUD button as far as I know.

As for having two STO folders, if you are set up for testing on Tribble, this would be normal. The game has separate files for the Tribble server. Any screen shots you take while on Tribble would appear there.

And nice screen shot, btw.

Nope only have the live server in that folder. I'm assuming the tribble download(or install) is separate? Or maybe it isn't and it just installed it into two different directories for craps and giggles. Either way figured it out - I guess posting the thread is all I needed to do to dig further into the system lol.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-18-2011, 11:14 AM
You can also bind screenshotting to any key. -- /bind < key > "screenshot_jpg" -- If you want the UI in there, -- /bind < key > "screenshot_ui_jpg" --

There's other screenshot commands, that I think save them in different format. If you type -- /scree -- in your chat bar, all the screenshot slash commands will pop up.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-19-2011, 03:17 AM
Alternatively, you can hold down CTRL and hit Print Screen, and it will save as a high quality TGA file.