Lt. Commander
# 21
01-18-2011, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Knuhteb
Since I can't start any polls on here, I started a petition on petition spot.com
Polls you can do, it's petitions that are not allowed.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-18-2011, 11:38 AM
Doesnt seem like a good idea.

Ferengi arent cut out for fighting (the fact that ferengi marauders are heavily armed notwithstanding). That would mean it would be difficult to make content for them. And it would be difficult to have them 'compete' against other empires, both in PvE and PvP content.

You could make it so they'd play completely different from other factions, being only merchants or something....but im not sure how to build a whole game experience out of that, and there'll inevitably be the same kinds of outcries as with the Klingons. That ferengi are gimped in content and other stuff, etc etc etc. Less, maybe. But there still will be outcries.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-18-2011, 11:47 AM
The Ferengi signed a deal with the Federation and are basically their allies now, see the Path to 2409. They would not make sense as a neutral faction or KDF characters (where it gets even more of a problem considering their stigma, lack of "warrior heart" and conflict with the Orions).

I'd rather see a species-independent true neutral faction that is only a faction in the sense of gameplay mechanics, but does not represent a unified organization. Could be used to play smugglers, crafters, traders, pirates, mercenaries, ...

I think Romulans and True Way will be the next playable factions, as those races have a sufficiently large fandom and would fit perfectly into the political situation of STO.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-18-2011, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
I'd rather see a species-independent true neutral faction that is only a faction in the sense of gameplay mechanics, but does not represent a unified organization. Could be used to play smugglers, crafters, traders, pirates, mercenaries, ...
I was about to suggest something like this. The Ferengi alliance, even though it is a big ally of the Federation, still has plenty of independent, profit minded members. Give us a neutral smuggling/crafting/trading faction, that includes Ferengi, displaced non-Orion Orion Syndicate members, mercenaries of various species (Human, Nausicaan, etc.). Many of their missions would no doubt involve the politics of the Ferengi Alliance, but I don't know if there's enough there in the Alliance itself for a full faction.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-18-2011, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRevan View Post
Doesnt seem like a good idea.

Ferengi arent cut out for fighting (the fact that ferengi marauders are heavily armed notwithstanding). That would mean it would be difficult to make content for them. And it would be difficult to have them 'compete' against other empires, both in PvE and PvP content.

You could make it so they'd play completely different from other factions, being only merchants or something....but im not sure how to build a whole game experience out of that, and there'll inevitably be the same kinds of outcries as with the Klingons. That ferengi are gimped in content and other stuff, etc etc etc. Less, maybe. But there still will be outcries.
rule 34; war is good for business
rule 35; peace is good for business

just because we havent seen many combats involving ferengi doesnt mean they are all tree hugging vegitarians.

i can see a facton working, relying heavily on mercenaries and stolen/ won ships, but not 'till after romulan, cradassian/ true way, mirror fed and klink (maybe, well i want it) and xindi
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-18-2011, 12:51 PM
It could serve as a refuge for all those people who currently try hard to make such exotic concepts fill into the current factions. There's never a day where I do not see a "Fed criminal". :p

I'd keep it a "mini faction", though. Little own content (mostly dailies such as trade lanes and smuggling runs), but the ability to join both Fed and KDF groups and, whilst being in one such group, helping with their missions. Also some bonus for crafting. Very few ships (Peregrine courier, Antares freighter, D'Kora marauder). That kind of stuff. It should be clear from the beginning that this faction is only something to do "on the side".

The real attention of the devs should continue to be focused at fleshing out or introducing the real, bigger factions (such as Romulans).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohort View Post
i can see a facton working
A Ferengi faction? Not me. Too limited, doesn't fit into the game's political situation, given that the Ferengi are now allies of the UFP. Gone are the days of neutrality and crime. The new Ferengi Alliance as an official faction is too tame for this. Unless you want to pull a True Way yet again.

I do believe that a more "open" neutral faction that does not focus on a single species or a single kind of business will be easier to implement and attract a greater number of players, though, and not just Ferengi fans.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-18-2011, 01:05 PM
A Ferengi faction? Where will it end?

I vote NO!
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-18-2011, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
I do believe that a more "open" neutral faction that does not focus on a single species or a single kind of business will be easier to implement and attract a greater number of players, though, and not just Ferengi fans.
thats kind of what i ment

obviously fed allies cant be priats, but ferengi individuals can, and nausicans even have it as a trate, that goes for a half dozen other races. but i think the limeted ships is a v. bad idea, were talking smugglers pirats and rouges, they could steal ships, plenty of canon for ship theft. (one for the hell of it, romulans and the promethious prototype)
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-18-2011, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohort View Post
were talking smugglers pirats and rouges, they could steal ships, plenty of canon for ship theft. (one for the hell of it, romulans and the promethious prototype)
At the same time the faction should not get a special appeal for "just pick this if you want to play everything". A strict limitation is mandatory to keep the major factions unique and interesting.

It's bad enough that we have Feds with bat'leths or the Alien Generator making it possible to play characters on the wrong side... Even though it can theoretically be explained with individual character fluff, everything you port over from the other faction (be it visuals, ships and clothes or even just game mechanics like the cloaking device) decreases said faction's uniqueness - and with it, their appeal.

Also, no smuggler or pirate should ever come close to attaining that kind of ship. This kind of Mary-Sue'ness is even worse than a quadrant full of Admirals and Generals. When you play an outlaw, you're going for an underdog role, and you'll have to work hard to survive.

No, I was thinking more along the lines of this: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho....php?p=3238320
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-18-2011, 01:21 PM
i highly doubt they would ever get their own full fledged faction but i would totally kill for a ferengi Marauder ship for any side/tier

Maybe a year down the line and if STO ever has cargo trading/mining ingame systems !
Closed Thread