Lt. Commander
# 1 Stupid Stuff
01-18-2011, 07:47 PM
I realized while watching the old kirk movies that one captian was never really given a chance to shine or explored and that was captian sulu.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-18-2011, 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFihaley View Post
I realized while watching the old kirk movies that one captian was never really given a chance to shine or explored and that was captian sulu.
The reason is that Sulu only got his Captain job towards the end of the run. Also IRL...The Shat was a baby and refused to allow the character of Sulu to leave the crew...
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-18-2011, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sural_Argonus
The reason is that Sulu only got his Captain job towards the end of the run. Also IRL...The Shat was a baby and refused to allow the character of Sulu to leave the crew...
Huh....I thought it was because Star Trek was about the adventures of Captain Kirk and his crew (which included Sulu).

Really---Sulu didn't get promoted until the end of the line as George Takei would have had to be written out of the show/movie series, which neither he nor anyone else would have liked.
I, for one, would have liked to have seen a Captain Sulu movie/TV series, but it's probably too late now.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-19-2011, 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sural_Argonus
there was meant to be al line in V i think where kirk congratulats sulu on becoming a captain.

i heard shatner did not want to do it, or kept screwing up the scene or something so they could not use it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-19-2011, 09:53 AM
Quote:
there was meant to be al line in V i think where kirk congratulats sulu on becoming a captain.

i heard shatner did not want to do it, or kept screwing up the scene or something so they could not use it.
I never heard that.. but if so.. that is screwed up.. I thought william shatner directed the 5th movie... he raised hell that leonard nimoy did such a good job on number 4.

It would of been better if they had done STAR TREK Excelsior then they did STAR TREK enterprise (2000-2005)

I bet if they had done it right.. they could of had a new show after Star Trek Excelsior -- and still running today?

Star Trek Titan?
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-19-2011, 10:14 AM
Sulu was the second captian of the excellor. Plus he also got reconized in voyager.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-19-2011, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
There was? I find that hard to believe, especially considering that Shatner co-wrote that film?

I've also seen some materials that suggest that Sulu was supposed to be off on his own since The Wrath of Kahn at the earliest, but Shatner protested (it's possible that it was originally inteneded to be Sulu, not Chekov, who encountered Kahn, but without more information, I'm just guessing). By Star Trek VI, Nimoy and Meyer told him that Sulu was going to be captain of the Excelsior and to quit whining.

Quote:
It would of been better if they had done STAR TREK Excelsior then they did STAR TREK enterprise (2000-2005)
One of the reasons Gene Roddenberry said he was using new characters in The Next Generation was that the old crew were doing movies and they had become "too expensive" to feasibly feature them in weekly episodes again. The same would be true of both George Takei and Grace Lee Whitney today, especially Takei, who has a very successful voice acting career going for him.

Quote:
I bet if they had done it right.. they could of had a new show after Star Trek Excelsior -- and still running today?

Star Trek Titan?
Same problem: both Jonathan Frakes and Marina Siritis have become too expensive for a weekly TV series.

My theories about the failure of Enterprise are two-fold: 1) Lack of planning on the part of the writers and 2) fatigue on the part of both writers and viewers.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-19-2011, 10:29 AM
What we need is something new, bold, and inbetween the (somewhat) slow TNG but toned down compared with DS9.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archanubis
There was? I find that hard to believe, especially considering that Shatner co-wrote that film?
its possible that im either miss-remembering or that the original source was talking rubbish in the first place.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-19-2011, 04:32 PM
Talking about T.V. it would be cool to something based on the mirror or reflecting pool universes.