Lt. Commander
# 1 Is it worth coming back?
01-18-2011, 08:45 PM
Hi guys,

I played this game at the beginning and loved it, got lifetime sub (which i still got of course), and was thinking about re-downloading it to give it another go as i had real fun in space combat, but ground felt a little unfinished.

What is the state now? Has there been any improvements to the ground combat system?

PS: please do not answer this post if all you can write is NO, IT SUCKS.... that is not helpful to me.

Reason i am asking is i have limited download limit, and this game will take half my monthly allowance before any patching etc.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-18-2011, 08:49 PM
Ground combat is still a bit off. the kligons were a bit too strong and the Romulans are still weak. tey really need to find a balance.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-18-2011, 10:36 PM
ground combat is being reworked for season 4. I would suggest you read the engineering reports for all updates in the engineering reports section of the forum. Also check out the release notes.

Sector Space has been reworked (art wise)
Featured Episodes are awesome
User generated content is coming soon (probably early February)
There was a difficulty slider added awhile back
Crafting is actually meaningful now (and will be updated in the future again)
PvP hasnt change much
Klingons have gotten a bunch more content (though its still considered PvE light)
New borg (gained through STF's and the mission assimlation) and aegis item sets (crafting) change the appearance of your ship
Minigame: Dabo was added (very addicting)

And much much more. As I said check out the engineering reports and the release notes
Lt. Commander
# 4 well
01-19-2011, 12:14 AM
Here is my take on it, if the only real thing that got you out of it is the ground combat, download it again. then because of your monthly allotment of banwith (Im sorry that must be a pain at times) get what ever update if you have spare time at the end of the month, especially if it doesnt stack. your life time member so you will come back to it eventually, and when you do want to you will only have to patch it and your bandwith allotment wont be too drained and you can play it.

Sector space got a make over, but if ground combat is really your thing that you want fixed, just check on the forums for a change. They have done a lot of other good things.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-19-2011, 01:19 AM
I've recently come back after four months and I pay monthly (the idea of the game going free to play eventually has put me off buying a lifetime) - however if you have a lifetime it's a no brainer isn't it? I thought the whole reason for buying a lifetime sub is to take advantage of the flexibility it affords you.

However, I have been back for about a month and have not regretted it so far. There is little in the way of new content at the top end (apart from a Defari story thread) but there have been enough improvements to what is there to make the whole thing a less frustrating experience.

The latest missions feel more 'Trek' which may or may not be a good thing for you and there are new goals to aim for if you had already maxed out.

I'd give it a go yes, especially as the only price for you would be downloading the game.

Bare in mind however, that the full download will likely take your entire monthly limit as the patches are absolutely massive as I recently found out.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-19-2011, 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricksty
Hi guys,

I played this game at the beginning and loved it, got lifetime sub (which i still got of course), and was thinking about re-downloading it to give it another go as i had real fun in space combat, but ground felt a little unfinished.

What is the state now? Has there been any improvements to the ground combat system?

PS: please do not answer this post if all you can write is NO, IT SUCKS.... that is not helpful to me.

Reason i am asking is i have limited download limit, and this game will take half my monthly allowance before any patching etc.
well... few things have improved like space and crafting but overall it s the same game...same big issues on my side... repetitive, boring content or just not really Trekkie missions (except the weekly series...about 10 in total). This game was not properly design from start (fast and cheap)...so they can only make some subtle modifications to it or they are going to make a big mess. I m glad you have a lifetime subs...cause it s going to take some time to see some real improvement.

Save your bandwidth until you get the NBN hooked to your place
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-20-2011, 06:21 AM
The game is worth investing in. I'm hoping to get lifetime subscription soon especially with the sale.

Foundry is coming, it allows us to create missions. Need I say more, there is enough coming to make the future of the game very interesting, actually the future of Star Trek!
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-20-2011, 01:35 PM
If you got the lifetim sub then just try it out?

iam playing again since december last year and i think, its worth ... iam really happy about it instead some requests that reportet the last months/years are not fixed yet ... for example the lacking textures of starships and the missing details.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-21-2011, 08:52 AM
I'd recommend re-downloading and playing on tribble. There are a great many user generated foundry missions, many of which are quite good.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-21-2011, 09:37 AM
If you have a lifetime sub there's no harm in trying it again. There have been plenty of small improvements that have helped to smooth over rough edges and have begun to fill in some of the glaring holes.

I wouldn't recommend it to someone who hasn't gotten the lifetime sub though. Yes the game is heading in the right direction but I still think most new players would be disappointed with the current state of things.