Lt. Commander
# 1 Lifetime Sub. Question.
01-19-2011, 01:14 AM
Okay, so I've decided that I like this game enough to go ahead and buy a lifetime subscription within the next few days. Before I buy, I want to know if there is a tax associated with the purchase. I read something about VAT, but I'm not really sure if that applies to people from the U.S. (which I am). Will it be precisely $299.99? Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-19-2011, 01:26 AM
vat has to do with EU tax. you have nothing to worry about
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-19-2011, 01:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilrayne1
vat has to do with EU tax. you have nothing to worry about
Correct.

Basically, the price shown on the website is the price Cryptic CHARGE for the account, and this is excluding any local taxes/charges, which VAT comes under.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-19-2011, 01:31 AM
Great. I appreciate the responses.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-19-2011, 01:42 AM
I do remember someone from the US recently being charged taxes for a C-Points purchase, wich dispite alot of resistance from the member in question, turned out to be fully valid.

I belive he was from California or somthing like that.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-19-2011, 01:54 AM
Hm...well the reason I ask is that I don't like using my main credit card. Instead, I would rather go out and purchase a pre-paid card. I bought the game 26 days ago, so the initial 30 days of game time from the purchase of the game is about to run out. But right after I signed up, I went ahead and got another month of game time...only to find out today that they didn't charge me for it because they wait until one month is done before they charge. I didn't know that and had already spent the money on that card, so there would be no money to charge. So, I plan on buying another pre-paid card and getting the lifetime subscription with it. I'm just wondering how much money I should put on the card...I'm hoping there is no tax at all, so I can just put $300 dollars on the card and be okay.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-19-2011, 02:10 AM
Well, I'm trying to do a little research on it now. Not sure if it will apply to a purchase of this type...but my state (Tennessee) is a part of thing called "Internet Sales Tax Provision". But some of what I've read so far, is only talking about "access" to the internet.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-19-2011, 02:34 AM
I used a pre-paid Visa card I purchased from Wal-Mart to pay for my lifetime sub, so that would certainly be a good way for you to go. However, as anazonda mentioned, some players in certain states have been charged sales tax on their Cryptic Points purchase, so that may be a factor (it isn't for me in Tennessee).

According to this thread, it seems if you live in Michigan, California, or Massachusetts, you may be charged tax for your Cryptic Points, so I don't know if you would for your lifetime sub. So, if you don't live in those states, then you should have to worry about it.

However, I would add at least $1 more than the total price, because I remember reading about how Cryptic may charge your credit card a dollar to verify the card (or something like that). I don't think they end up actually charging your card that dollar, but it would suck to have your purchase denied if you were just one dollar under. (I bought my lifetime pre-launch, so it was $240 for me, and I bought my Visa with $250 on it, just to be safe.)

(Heh, while I was typing this, I noticed you live in Tenn as well, so I wouldn't worry about the sales tax angle. I'd just make sure to have about $1-5 above the cost, just in case they do charge that verification dollar.)
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-19-2011, 03:51 AM
ROFL Are you serious? ROFL
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-19-2011, 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractal_Eye
According to this thread, it seems if you live in Michigan, California, or Massachusetts, you may be charged tax for your Cryptic Points, so I don't know if you would for your lifetime sub. So, if you don't live in those states, then you should have to worry about it.
Pfft. Massachusetts taxes EVERYTHING, lol...