Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
So for anyone who cares, its been announced that Anne Hathaway will play Selina Kyle/Catwoman and Tom Hardy will be Bane in the (stupidly named) Dark Knight Returns.

What does this have to do with Star Trek? Well, Tom Hardy is in it which means...

BATMAN WILL FIGHT CRAZY EVIL CLONE JEAN-LUC PICARD

EDIT: LINK
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Catwoman is not that much of a surprise. Considering that we've had the Joker, it was bound to happen that one of the other "classics" - Penguin, Riddler, and Catwoman - would show up. Penquin was already confirmed to never appear, and Riddler had been mere speculation up to this point. Combined the last announcement that seemed to confirm that there would be a female "villianess," Catwoman was the most likely choice.

Bane is a surprise though, considering that his schtick (pumping himself up with steroidal "venom") is borderline unrealistic. However, if the writers stick to Bane's origins as a "genius bruiser," not the dumb muscle of "Batman and Robin," I think he'll do okay.

Of course, being the skeptic I am, I do want to see an article on this.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Bane and Catwoman. I can live with those villains. Well not that I would want to. But they are good choices for the movies. Hopefully they won't butcher Bane like they did in Batman and Robin.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
Hopefully they won't butcher Bane like they did in Batman Forever.
As I said, Bane was in "Batman and Robin." "Batman Forever" was the Riddler and Two-Face.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Edited the original post to include a news article link.

Also, Catwoman I'm happy with (both in her inclusion in the movie and the casting) because the previous two movies dealt with a theme of "escalation". Part of that was other people dressing up as Batman and trying to be vigilantes during TDK. It seems logical that the next step of that would someone effectively pulling off a costumed persona, aka a Catwoman character. Plus Selina Kyle always makes a respectable love interest for Bruce Wayne, and since Joker thankfully blew the previous stupid love interest to kingdom come in the last movie they can have Kyle fill that void.

I have faith that Nolan wont "Batman and Robin" Bane in this movie, and I bet he can keep the core of what makes Bane in tact while making him more in line with Nolan's semi realistic Bat Universe. I honestly think Scarecrow is a more outlandish villain than Bane, and yet Nolan made Scarecrow freakin' awesome in Begins. So I think Bane will be work out fine, he just might lack some of the steroid-to-brain tubes and might just be more of a Rocky 5 "I must break you" muscle bound killer. That, and I hope they make Bane smart like he was during the Knightfall saga.. y'know, smart enough to figure out that Bruce Wayne was Batman without any help.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dogman
Also, Catwoman I'm happy with (both in her inclusion in the movie and the casting) because the previous two movies dealt with a theme of "escalation". Part of that was other people dressing up as Batman and trying to be vigilantes during TDK. It seems logical that the next step of that would someone effectively pulling off a costumed persona, aka a Catwoman character. Plus Selina Kyle always makes a respectable love interest for Bruce Wayne, and since Joker thankfully blew the previous stupid love interest to kingdom come in the last movie they can have Kyle fill that void.
The thing one has to remember with Catwoman is that she did start out as a cat burgler (pun, no doubt, intended by her creators). She is known as one of Batman's more classic villians, although his more complicated ones as, along with Talia Al Ghul, she is his "greatest love." Though depictions of her personality have varied depending on the times, the writers, and the media forum, generally she's become more of an "anti-hero" of late whose views on life are more gray than Batman's, whose views have been described as unyeildingly black and white...

I am slightly disappointed they didn't go with the Riddler, though I understand the reasoning as his modus operundi, as explained by the BTAS folks, is one that is rather hard to depict seriously (which is why he was used so sparingly in that series).
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-19-2011, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archanubis
The thing one has to remember with Catwoman is that she did start out as a cat burgler (pun, no doubt, intended by her creators). She is known as one of Batman's more classic villians, although his more complicated ones as, along with Talia Al Ghul, she is his "greatest love." Though depictions of her personality have varied depending on the times, the writers, and the media forum, generally she's become more of an "anti-hero" of late whose views on life are more gray than Batman's, whose views have been described as unyeildingly black and white...

I am slightly disappointed they didn't go with the Riddler, though I understand the reasoning as his modus operundi, as explained by the BTAS folks, is one that is rather hard to depict seriously (which is why he was used so sparingly in that series).
I actually heard he wasnt in BTAS that much because the writers had a hard time thinking of elaborate riddles for him. Which sucks, because Riddler in BTAS was the best I thought. Well actually, pretty much everything from BTAS is still the best form of Batman ever. Sorry Ledger, but Hammil still trumps you.

But yeah, I was slightly disappointed by no Riddler too. Though I could understand if Nolan was too afraid of Riddler coming off as "Joker-lite". Also, I think I was the only person who wanted Jim Carey to get a second shot at playing Riddler too... (hey he's a MUCH better actor now then he was around Batman Forever)
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-19-2011, 12:43 PM
Yeah, sorry. I get those two chunks of guano confused. (see what I did there?)

I think Jim Carey would have been a good Riddler if the writing was there. But it wasn't. The writing sucked in those 2 movies.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-19-2011, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dogman
I actually heard he wasnt in BTAS that much because the writers had a hard time thinking of elaborate riddles for him. Which sucks, because Riddler in BTAS was the best I thought.
Combination of the two, really. They mention in the DVD extras for the series that they had a lot of Riddler stories that ended up in the "circular file" because they were A) Overly elaborate or B) completely over the top.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
Yeah, sorry. I get those two chunks of guano confused. (see what I did there?)
THAT'S WHAT YOU SLIPPED IN, THAT'S WHAT WAS ON YOUR SHOE, AND THAT EXPLAINS THE ABRASION ON YOUR PALM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archanubis
Combination of the two, really. They mention in the DVD extras for the series that they had a lot of Riddler stories that ended up in the "circular file" because they were A) Overly elaborate or B) completely over the top.
Which sounds awesome. Man, I really want to watch BTAS now. Why does it have to be so expensive to get it all on DVD ;_;