Lt. Commander
Sometimes I'll fire just one, others I'll fire two, and even four. Is there any rhyme or reason to this? Why is it happening? O.o
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-19-2011, 04:51 PM
Could be an ability you are using, or lag. Though it sounds more like the high yield torpedo or torpedo spread abilities.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-19-2011, 05:25 PM
In addition to what the above poster mentioned, when you fire on some structures like satellites or spacedocks it'll animate extra torpedoes, but as far as I can tell you only do the damage of one.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-19-2011, 05:34 PM
Assuming you are not using a skill (High Yield I fires 2, Full Spread I fires 3-5) this could be occurring because of lag or objects being in between you and your target. Back in the day, I got some streams of torpedoes going when enemy ships would embed themselves in a random asteroid.

Lt. Commander
# 5
01-19-2011, 05:40 PM
It's just a display bug. I actually think it's kind of cool, because in the shows ships didn't always fire only a single torpedo, sometimes they fired multiples (granted you can get that with skills already).

Anyway, the damage is still only that of one torpedo, just visually it seems like you fired two.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
Assuming you are not using a skill (High Yield I fires 2, Full Spread I fires 3-5) this could be occurring because of lag or objects being in between you and your target. Back in the day, I got some streams of torpedoes going when enemy ships would embed themselves in a random asteroid.

I've had this happen too. Torp after torp after torp after torp. I've also had an Infinite Beam trying to penetrate a rock that an enemy was barely behind. I had to fly a little up and over to actually hit the ship and stop the animation from continuing forever.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Also, if you have your torpedo launcher set on autofire (green ring around the weapon control. Right-click on the weapon control to activate/deactivate) you can fire multiple torpedoes, but it technically only does the damage of 1. If you are using the high yield upgrade, you can do the damage of 2-3 torpedoes.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-19-2011, 09:47 PM
Ive never actually looked at the numbers, but I have to say Ive FELT there was a dramatic increase to my torp damage when this happens.

I always just assumed it was the equivalent to a critical hit for a torpedo. I know it wasn't high yield doing this as I have an alt that doesn't even HAVE high yield, and this happens frequently. Also, I don't often have lag due to my connection speed... so I can only assume that this is meant to be in the game.

Now the aforementioned 'enemy flies behind asteriod and you fire an infinite amount of torps' glitch does happen a lot for me as well... but obviously as none of the torps are actually HITTING, there is no damage multiplier.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-19-2011, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treagersama View Post
Ive never actually looked at the numbers, but I have to say Ive FELT there was a dramatic increase to my torp damage when this happens.

I always just assumed it was the equivalent to a critical hit for a torpedo. I know it wasn't high yield doing this as I have an alt that doesn't even HAVE high yield, and this happens frequently. Also, I don't often have lag due to my connection speed... so I can only assume that this is meant to be in the game.

Now the aforementioned 'enemy flies behind asteriod and you fire an infinite amount of torps' glitch does happen a lot for me as well... but obviously as none of the torps are actually HITTING, there is no damage multiplier.
Kinda this. I have had bugs of just torp after torp doing no damage. I correct the axis of attack and it works better. Forget the mission think it may be the romulan fleet thing. As to firing 2 torps without a skill used, that has to be a crit. The numbers are figured out as it fires, not when it hits. This happens to me often, but I have a high crit chance, so I never gave it much thought.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-19-2011, 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiloPhi
I've had this happen too. Torp after torp after torp after torp. I've also had an Infinite Beam trying to penetrate a rock that an enemy was barely behind. I had to fly a little up and over to actually hit the ship and stop the animation from continuing forever.
This has happened to me on many occasions. It is a slight bug. This will occur when an enemy NPC decides to hide behind an asteroid or space station and actually goes into the station a little bit. Since the game has a hard time deciding if it is just an object or actually an enemy, your ship will fire numerous torpedos at it that do no damage to it whatsoever. The only ways you can hit the enemy ship for damage is if it moves away from the object or if you are able to position yourself in a certain spot/angle that allows the game to recognize what is happening. This has been a problem since the game first came online. I have sent multiple bug reports about this to Cryptic, but unfortunately, they have not been able to solve this problem yet.

Sulu: Reliant in our section sir, this quadrant; and slowing.
Saavik: Sir may I quote General Order 12. On the approach of any vessel when communications have not been established ...
Spock: Lieutenant, the Admiral is well aware of the regulations.
Saavik: Aye sir.
Kirk: Is it possible their comm systems have failed?
Spock: It would explain a great many things.