Lt. Commander
This will most likely be a controversial topic, but it needs to be addressed.

If it was just me, I wouldn't say anything, but several other players have discussed this and they're as annoyed as I am.

Ever since launch, I've been seeing a fair number of players and ships using names without any real thought or creativity.

These names are often lifted directly from pretty much every science fiction franchise.

For example, from Star Trek:
Jim Kirk
Jean Luc Picard
Geordi LaForge
Commander Sisko
Worf
Kathryn Janeway
Enterprise or Enterprize
Voyager

And it doesn't end there.

Stargate:
Jack O'Neill
Samantha Carter

Mass Effect:
John or Jane Shepherd
Normandy or Normandy SR2

I've also seen various ships named Tardis, Red Dwarf, Starbug, Farscape, Firefly, Serenity and Battlestar Galactica.

Should Cryptic take steps to prevent this kind of blatant stealing from science fiction?

I get that people are fond of their favorite sci fi franchises, but there are ways to pay tribute to them without being "punch in the face obvious".

Often, players with these names aren't even recreating the appearance of the character name they are stealing, judging from the portraits I saw when reading their bios.
If they're not even bothering to make the character properly, this is added laziness on their part.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-20-2011, 11:48 AM
The lack of creativity is quite blatant and I wish people who can't look up a name dictionary or, at the very least, buy a couple of vowels to put in between randomly selected consonants would get booted outright from the game.

But, from what you could tell from playing this game, is there any aspect of STO that doesn't try to appease the lowest common denominator?

I mean, sh*t, there was some jerk-off the other day trying to get rid of science powers because they're "superpowers." I suggest you give up hope on the community, find a friendly fleet, and try to enjoy what you can of STO.

By the way, 44th fleet is looking for members......
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-20-2011, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilarta View Post
If they're not even bothering to make the character properly...
"Making them properly" as defined by whom? Just my 2 quatloos, but to each their own. You may get annoyed or miffed at their choice of ship/character name, but if it makes those people happy then more power to them. They are paying to play just as you are, and it isn't up to you to decide what/how they should name their avatars. Don't let it bother you and move along.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-20-2011, 12:17 PM
No

You certainly would expect Starships named after famous people

eg the USS George Washington (in real life) so you would expect the USS James T Kirk etc in the world of STO. You would also expect people to call thier kids after famous people too

I'd more conerned with the names like

The USS MudurDeathKillU, or the IKS ShuteUinFace

Or the USS AndUrMomma2 or IKS K'NoobKilla
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-20-2011, 12:19 PM
Why is their lack of creativity your probelm? How does it affect you or any of us? No Cryptic should not be policing ship names (unless they are rude or offensive), they have far more important things to do.

If somone wants to call their charecter Darth Picard that's their business.

(in case you're wondering no I don't have a sci fi name myself)
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-20-2011, 12:24 PM
With the words of Darth Vader: Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

I use the same name for my Starship like the great romulan ship that appears in Star Trek (2009): Narada
Using this name for every Cruiser that i commanded, still from the ID "NCC-93675" till "NCC-93675-E"
I dont want to give up this awesome Shipname that i use till the headstart from STO :<

But also i understand that's not very trekki if i see a James T. Kirk who should be dead or a Picard who is flying his EnterpriZe

Dont know, think cryptic can nothing do to compare the lack the creativity of the players :<
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-20-2011, 12:28 PM
That is exactly why all my ships have special names like Ginger-vitis or HungryHippo or even the Big *******. Nothing like real creativiy.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Hmmm i had no idea that word would be censored lol.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-20-2011, 12:56 PM
I agree, but only to a point.
Sure it'd be more creative if they made a character that was their own unique being in the STO universe, but sometimes people just don't want to do that. And I can understand that.

My main beef with the naming yourself after a popular character idea is that not everyone feels that said character should behave in a certain way. And it'll spawn arguments and a whole lot of unnecessary negative reactions from everyone who encounters said person. Would have been easier to make someone who looks up to insert character name here and tries to live like they would. An homage character that doesn't necessarily have to look or be named like said character. Which skirts the issue entirely.

There is already a rule against having a ship or character name that is offensive, or is a sentence.
So unless they're doing either of those two, we'll just have to deal with it.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-20-2011, 02:02 PM
I have seen quite a lot of anime names too like names from "Crest/Banner of the stars" "Tenchi Muyo" and a couple i don't remember. But i was hoping this thread was for offensive ship and player names. and whats wrong with the names you have posted The Star Trek names can be easily explained with some named after great hero back story. But seriously we need some sort of report player option for offensive names and afkers(PVP).I would post ex of what ive seen but i might have issues with the mods/admins.