Lt. Commander
# 11
01-20-2011, 02:44 PM
I saw one once called "exwifegolddigger". I laughed and then said to myself, thats stupid. I couldn't play this game with a silly name on my ship.
Lt. Commander
Your perceived "lack of creativity" may, to someone else, be a homage to a beloved character or series.........Not that I'd know anything about that .
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-20-2011, 03:21 PM
I agree with you OP, Other people should be controlled and only allowed to do things that you think are correct.
For that matter, i think my neighbor should rename her dog.She named it Ms Muggles. this annoys the crud out of me.
Her new car is a Fugly greenish orange Boxy looking thing that I wouldn't be seen dead in. She should NOT BE ALLOWED to drive such an ugly car. Seeing her put that dog in that car every day makes me froth at the mouth angry.
People like her should not even be allowed to live in my town.
I wish there was still a good Fascist country i could move to where people like her could be sent off to a camp or oven or something.
Anyway OP , keep up the good fight, & together we can crush the individuality out of these people & have them do what we, their betters, decide they ought to do.
Lt. Commander
# 14 Yes and NO
01-20-2011, 03:29 PM
To an extent names should follow some sort of rules.

A klingon carrier named Akagi......or something is taken directly from earths past would not be the first name choosen by a Klingon IMO. KDF would prolly frown on such fickle things. As a side note...most Captains of a ship do not get to name their ships......and it strikes me as odd why they allow this in the first place.

I prefer my Klingon ship made during open Beta the Mic'Chi"ken.

I would prefer that names be realistic but I have no say over such things.....to insist otherwise is nit-picking .
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Just in case anyone doesn't already know, Cryptic established rules on this before the game even launched.

COSTUME AND NAME POLICY
http://www.startrekonline.com/support/policies/names

Character Name Creation:

To ensure that Star Trek Online is a fun, fair, and safe environment, there are a few basic guidelines that all users are required to abide by in-game when choosing names.

Character Name, Handle, and Fleet Names May Not:
  • Be designed to impersonate a real life individual or entity
  • Be the name of any Atari or Cryptic Studios product, character, or employee (This includes Cryptic Game Masters)
  • Incorporate vulgar, obscene, hateful, defamatory language or imagery
  • Be derogatory towards racial, ethnical, cultural background, or sexual orientation
  • Incorporate the name or image of a religious figure or deity
  • Incorporate any form of religious title (i.e. "The Lord", "Rabbi")
  • Relate to illegal drugs or activities
  • Be nonsensical or gibberish (“asdlkfj” or “Jkljkl”)
  • Advertise any form of website, product, or service
  • Comprised of partial or complete sentences (e.g., “Welovechicken”)
  • Be the registered property of any other company
If characters are found in violation of this policy it may lead to disciplinary actions against the offending account. This could include suspension from the game or possibly account termination. Any character name or name/costume combinations which are against Cryptic’s Policy will be changed by Cryptic Support Staff.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-20-2011, 04:32 PM
what seriously?!

ok well I cant argue with a end user licence agreement; I admit that seeing other people flying ships with wierd or stupid names (by my standards) can detract from the emersiveness but I dont think it is anyone's place to decide such a thing unless it is blatantly hateful, disrespectful, and dissruptive.

I see ships all the time with things names I dont like but I dont think I have any right to tell them they cant have that name... I mean I am sure someone out there would think The U.S.S. Panther is a terrible name and that it doesnt sound very federation'y' but I dont want that someone telling me it is unacceptable, so I am fine with the U.S.S. Darth Vader(s) and ShootNSplode(s), because it is what is making them happy and it isnt hurting anyone else.

The only ship name I found completly wrong and blatantly against everything the Federation stands for was the U.S.S. KuKluxKlan, and even then I felt they had the right to name their ship that (if they wanted) because that person was not naming their ship something defamitory, though I admit it is in poor taste and was probably very annoying, but that person was not doing anyting wrong (as far as I know) they didnt make recist comments (that I know of, at least not in Zone that I am aware of ) and made a guild or was trying to (that I am aware of ) for other white supremacists, but they did not harm or try to offend anyone (that I was ever aware of ) and because of that I was ok with the name and it being allowed.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-20-2011, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP3CTREnyc
The lack of creativity is quite blatant and I wish people who can't look up a name dictionary or, at the very least, buy a couple of vowels to put in between randomly selected consonants would get booted outright from the game.

But, from what you could tell from playing this game, is there any aspect of STO that doesn't try to appease the lowest common denominator?

I mean, sh*t, there was some jerk-off the other day trying to get rid of science powers because they're "superpowers." I suggest you give up hope on the community, find a friendly fleet, and try to enjoy what you can of STO.

By the way, 44th fleet is looking for members......
funny, i look at your handle, & what you wrote, & I cannot help but think the irony is delicious.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-20-2011, 06:54 PM
So from the OPs perspective, for naming one of my ships the USS Normandy, I lack creativity? FWIW, I named it after the D-Day invasion site of WWII, as at the time I named all of my ships after famous battles or battle sites. Whatever the case may be, to paraphrase Dr. Frankenfurter "I didn't name it FOR YOU!!!" :p
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-20-2011, 07:51 PM
feds-
Mai Kai
Cake
Jack
Faithborn
Dr. Suess

Klingons-
Mother Goose
Xaiver

so... this means i should chage all of these?
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-20-2011, 08:05 PM
I totally agree! I get so angry when people steal the names I was going to steal first. Now excuse me while I go level my alt, xXxSephirothxXx.

Seriously, GTFOver it, lol.