Lt. Commander
# 21
01-21-2011, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernd_Schneider
The warp nacelles Voyager is the first ship to have foldable nacelles and pylons, at least the first ship we know of. "Because Voyager employs a new folding wing-and-nacelle configuration, warp fields may no longer have a negative impact on habitable worlds, as established in TNG." This sentence from the Star Trek Voyager Technical Guide V1.0 is actually the only hint that the folding pylons may prevent the subspace damage of TNG: "Force of Nature". It was never mentioned on screen.

Another theory is that the efficiency of the warp field can be increased if it is continually tilted as the speed rises, in a similar fashion as on the F-111 and other aircraft with variable wing positions. However, the existing shots of Voyager in space don't make any sense, since only two angles of the nacelle pylons can be observed: 0 (horizontal) for impulse flight, and about 35 as soon as the ship goes to warp, remaining constant irrespective of the speed. While it makes sense for an aircraft to have just two wing positions for slow and for fast hypersonic flight, Voyager's warp drive is offline at impulse anyway, hence not requiring any specific nacelle position. It is not evident why the nacelles are folded up at all every time the ship goes to warp, and why they are not just fixed in the warp position.
I personally favor the second one, since the Intrepids were probably already in service before the TNG's "Force of Nature." That is, of course, assuming that the variable pylons weren't introduced later.

Personal theory here, but it's possible that, in universe, the original Intrepid looked very much like Rick Sternbach's original concept model, and later ships were redesigned into the familiar silhouette. A remote possibility, but it's happened before, both in universe and in real life.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-21-2011, 07:02 AM
I thought the nacelles just moved because fans like the way the Klingon BoP wings moved and they wanted to milk it.

I figured that they wanted the nacelles down to act as wings when they landed on a planet, went through a thick nebula, etc. Considering their first mission was to go through the cloudy Badlands, that's not a bad idea.

I also read the thing about warp fields being "safe". I'm surprised they never mentioned it in the show, it was a neat idea. I'm surprised they made the delta flyer instead of using the aeroshuttle, also. A lot of the choices made in voyager were
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-21-2011, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hort_wort View Post
I thought the nacelles just moved because fans like the way the Klingon BoP wings moved and they wanted to milk it.

I figured that they wanted the nacelles down to act as wings when they landed on a planet, went through a thick nebula, etc. Considering their first mission was to go through the cloudy Badlands, that's not a bad idea.

I also read the thing about warp fields being "safe". I'm surprised they never mentioned it in the show, it was a neat idea. I'm surprised they made the delta flyer instead of using the aeroshuttle, also. A lot of the choices made in voyager were
The Voyager team made some really weird decisions with the show, such as not showing any sort of struggle to survive so long from the federation. Also, they seemed to spend a great deal of time NOT going at warp. I can understand Voyager not trying to spend 75 years going at warp 9.975 would save energy probably, but going at sublight speeds so much of the time?!!

I would also have liked an explanation as to why Voyager didn't head for the Bajoran wormhole, which should be much closer to them than Earth. They could have easily shaved off 20 or 30 years from the journey. Not to mention they would have avoided Borg space, which they KNEW was pretty much in their direct path. It would have been nice if they had had a couple of lines of dialogue in the second episode or something.

'So, should we head for the Bajoran wormhole?'
'No, we can't risk the wormhole collapsing before we reach it'.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-21-2011, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hort_wort View Post
I have a few issues with that; even for those of use without physics backgrounds, Voyager's "wings" are noticably too small for a vessel Voyager's size to of much use in aerodynamics. The ships streamline shape probably is of more consequence, and one could explain its flight characteristics in the same way that a lifiting body aircraft works. Otherwise, the Klingon Bird of Prey is more aerodynamic looking than the Intrepid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetzal
I would also have liked an explanation as to why Voyager didn't head for the Bajoran wormhole, which should be much closer to them than Earth. They could have easily shaved off 20 or 30 years from the journey.
Real world answer: the writers didn't want to be stepping on DS9's toes with Dominion stories, I suspect.

In Universe Answer: Stellar cartography was on the fritz, and likely under/unmanned before Seven arrived.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-21-2011, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archanubis
Real world answer: the writers didn't want to be stepping on DS9's toes with Dominion stories, I suspect.

In Universe Answer: Stellar cartography was on the fritz, and likely under/unmanned before Seven arrived.
All they needed was one or two lines just to say why they weren't gonna go to the Bajoran wormhole. They could have made up anything.

In universe response: Voyager didn't have a stellar cartography lab before Seven. Voyager didn't have many maps of the Delta Quadrant anyways. They could easily work out where the mouth of the wormhole is, just by looking at sensor data/maps of the gamma quadrant, of which they almost certainly had from DS9 etc. I don't think finding the wormhole was the issue. I would say that perhaps they didn't want to risk the wormhole collapsing, they might have just heard about the dominion threat a few days before they left or whatever.

Also, another thought just occured to me, some time in Season 6 or 7, if you add up all the lightyears they have traveled, you can see that Voyager had actually entered the Beta Quadrant. That could have made a pretty good episode. I mean, I'm sure they would have celebrated once they were out of the delta quadrant!
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-21-2011, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetzaal
Also, another thought just occured to me, some time in Season 6 or 7, if you add up all the lightyears they have traveled, you can see that Voyager had actually entered the Beta Quadrant. That could have made a pretty good episode. I mean, I'm sure they would have celebrated once they were out of the delta quadrant!
You're not the only one; I've seen a few site that mention that fact. And I consider that one of the great missed moments of that show. The crew could have celebrated that "Yes, we're in the Beta Quadrant, we're close to home," and then had an Oh Crap moment when they start picking up Romulan signals - or even see one of their ships.

The Romulans are one of the classic, and most underutilized, villians in Star Trek and they would have made great villians as Voyager attempted to circumnavigate that Empire - because you know the Romulans wouldn't haven't been pleased to have a Federation starship travelling through their space - hovering near the border.

Another good story telling device would have been having the Voyager crew negotiate with the Klingons for travel into their space. Just because the Klingons are allies to the Federation, and have allowed Federation ships to travel to a few of their worlds, doesn't mean they would have allowed one to travel entirely through their space.