Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 C-Store: XP Boost
01-21-2011, 05:29 AM
There is something new on the update calender so my question is what is meant with it!

27th - 29th C-Store: XP Boost

20% skill gain in 1, 4, 16-hour increments. Do not stack.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
01-21-2011, 05:42 AM
There is a big long painfull discussion/debate here about it ...

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=197029

Basically ... its there for players that dont have alot of time to level a character.... becuase.. you know... this game has sooo much grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
Hey gang,

I want to go ahead and clarify some stuff for you all.
  1. This will be a consumable item purchasable on the C-store.
  2. You will also be able to earn this item through in-game means.

So, if you want to buy them, so you can cruise through the patrol missions faster than you normally would, you can. If you'd rather use them as they come to you through in-game means, you can do that as well. If you just don't want to use them, that option exists as well.

I hope this helps to alleviate some of your concerns.

Thanks,

Stormshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Our research supports that not everyone is "powerleveling" in the ways you'd expect and we've had numerous requests to add the feature. Since Champs is already intending to add the feature, it was an easy thing to get into the game. Having it in the C-Store and as a rare drop ensures that it is not a standard way we expect players to play. Heck - even Jack has complained that he wants XP boosts so he can level up his Klingon faster. I'm inclined to think this is ok and helps the vast majority of players who have never made it to Captain rank or higher. (yes I said VAST majority and I mean it). Not everyone is a Vice Admiral nor does everyone who plays Star Trek online have hours upon hours to play the game.

It will be a rare thing to get one of these things in game, and it will be a real money option for those who want to pay for the convenience.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
01-21-2011, 06:12 AM
I'm looking forward to it for grinding alts. I know what many think of it but the amount I play which is still a decent amount, I have enough to do on my main than to spend time grinding. Right now it's what I do when I have spare time and I don't want to do dailies or PVP. It has it's place and is a choice for all so I for one am glad it's here. Or will be soon! :p
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
01-21-2011, 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstocbr
There is a big long painfull discussion/debate here about it ...

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=197029

Basically ... its there for players that dont have alot of time to level a character.... becuase.. you know... this game has sooo much grind
You know, forum posters don't really need to apply here. It seems there are tons of people that played this game for a long time and still haven't gotten to endame - some apparantly can't even play all the Featured Episodes (Breen Series requires you to be Lt.Cmdr!). Most of us forum users are clearly breezing though the content possibly playing several hours per day . But a lot of players - most not on the forums - appear to play very differently. They will certainly find the leveling a grind.

Of course, this is a great way to make more money from the people that play less... In that regard, it's "devious". Though apparantly this item will also be part of loot drops, so it might also serve as an incentive for those players to play more, using the drop for best effect.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
01-21-2011, 09:06 AM
In every MMO I've played, I usually have one character of each profession (depending on the limit of characters) and in STO I have 5 characters of varying levels. Doing the same mission 5 times can be a learning experience when the mission is interesting or fun, but not all of the missions are and it would be nice to be able to skip some of them by getting XP at an increased rate on fun missions.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
01-21-2011, 10:29 AM
These are also meant for people who have jobs and complicated lives who can't afford the time to go through all the levels at a normal pace. Since so much content is available at the higher ranks as opposed to the lower, I can imagine why some might want to run there rather than walk.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
01-21-2011, 10:42 AM
i play a klingon, and as much as i wish i could do tons of missions, there's just not enough. this thing'll be a god-send for me.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
01-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr1983 View Post
i play a klingon, and as much as i wish i could do tons of missions, there's just not enough. this thing'll be a god-send for me.
This.

Plus I don't see why people are whining about this. It gives NO advantage in PVP or PVE, it just allows you to level up faster...if you don't like it you don't have to use it, but thats doesn't mean that someone else who may benefit from it or just want to hit endgame sooner (especially with alts) should not have this at their disposal.

The simple matter of fact is that it is coming and it will probably be here to stay.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
01-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delynandir
I don't see why people are whining about this. It gives NO advantage in PVP or PVE, it just allows you to level up faster...if you don't like it you don't have to use it
paying money for XP is just like
buying Energy Credits on Ebay

or buying a bot that plays the game for you

and none of it is considered cheating because it comes from Cryptic itself.

this is a god send for all chinese gold sellers...
too bad we almost have none anymore,
Cryptic could have sucked them dry and then thrown them out.


Also XP for money is just something that you DON'T do...
People don't like it. It is again one of those Red Alert signs in the C-Store that tells every possible new customer to make a big round arround this game.

The next thing you see is 100 Emblems for $10 in the C-Store.

And then pre leveled Vice Admiral chars.

Why even play the game, just switch it to easy spend 25 bucks so you don't have to play and enjoy the Screensaver that you have left.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
01-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
People don't like it.
O'RLY!?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr1983 View Post
i play a klingon, and as much as i wish i could do tons of missions, there's just not enough. this thing'll be a god-send for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryecrash View Post
In every MMO I've played, I usually have one character of each profession (depending on the limit of characters) and in STO I have 5 characters of varying levels. Doing the same mission 5 times can be a learning experience when the mission is interesting or fun, but not all of the missions are and it would be nice to be able to skip some of them by getting XP at an increased rate on fun missions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryde7
I'm looking forward to it for grinding alts. I know what many think of it but the amount I play which is still a decent amount, I have enough to do on my main than to spend time grinding. Right now it's what I do when I have spare time and I don't want to do dailies or PVP. It has it's place and is a choice for all so I for one am glad it's here. Or will be soon! :p
Amusing how you still manage to put people dont like it when almost all before you say otherwise.

Also amusing. A few threads down.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius_2013
What is the fastest way to level up? Ive been playing for awhile but so far im only a LC, it just seems to take forever! And why do the escorts suck so much? I made the mistake of picking one as my first ship and I regret it.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:44 PM.