Lt. Commander
# 11
01-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
paying money for XP is just like
buying Energy Credits on Ebay

Also XP for money is just something that you DON'T do...

The next thing you see is 100 Emblems for $10 in the C-Store.

And then pre leveled Vice Admiral chars.
It's a device that speeds the amount of xp you get while playing. it's not like buying levels, because inexperienced players will probably spend most of the item duration in sector space. n00bz....

Emblems will definitely go on the exchange one day, though.

Doubt it about the VA characters.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-21-2011, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Hunter 9
These are also meant for people who have jobs and complicated lives who can't afford the time to go through all the levels at a normal pace. Since so much content is available at the higher ranks as opposed to the lower, I can imagine why some might want to run there rather than walk.
No offense, but this is pretty funny. When did the tide change and people start thinking that STO had so much end-game content? What is it that "people who have jobs and complicated lives" are racing to? End-Game PvP? Trust me you'll need RL XP playing STO to perform well in end-game PvP. Oh yeah and there are a few STFs, but seriously, what else is there? Is it that you want to go back and play the majority of the missions, or the game for that matter, as a Vice Admiral?

I'm sorry, I just don't buy it or get it. Whether it takes a month or a week to reach Cap, isn't it supposed to be about the journey not the destination? What's the point of playing the game?

But the Devs have already made up their minds so the whole point is moot.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-21-2011, 09:21 PM
I still like the idea of XP-Boosts for leveling alts. I find the implementation somewhat lacking, though.

When it is meant for people who do not have the time to level X characters - then why is the boost time-limited instead of granting a boost for a pre-determined range of skill points?

Even if it just counts the playtime on a single character, you're basically forced to stick to levelgrind instead of having the opportunity to take a break for RP or visiting the Exchange or whatever.

Meh. I thought that maybe I'd get one for my Orion alt, but this way I'm not interested. :/
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-21-2011, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstocbr
There is a big long painfull discussion/debate here about it ...

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=197029

Basically ... its there for players that dont have alot of time to level a character.... becuase.. you know... this game has sooo much grind
This game actually does have a fair amount of grinding. Most of the missions in the game are of the "kill 5 ships" variety. Klingons also have little choice but to grind, if there's not enough PvP available to level.

There really isn't a very good end-game, so I'm not sure what the point of rushing toward it is. I've got a character that's Captain 5 right now, and I'm really trying not to hit RA because there's very little decent content after RA3-4.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-21-2011, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heimskringla View Post
There really isn't a very good end-game, so I'm not sure what the point of rushing toward it is. I've got a character that's Captain 5 right now, and I'm really trying not to hit RA because there's very little decent content after RA3-4.
Agreed. When I was leveling my PvP toon I wanted to stay and enjoy Commander level PvP for awhile because I was having so much fun. It was over way too fast... what a blast! I know many wish that one could freeze skill points so that you can stay at a desired rank as long as you want.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-21-2011, 09:58 PM
Quote:
There really isn't a very good end-game, so I'm not sure what the point of rushing toward it is.
For my Orion? The one and only Orion ship in the game of course.

Everything before that just feels wrong.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-21-2011, 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory275 View Post
No offense, but this is pretty funny. When did the tide change and people start thinking that STO had so much end-game content? What is it that "people who have jobs and complicated lives" are racing to? End-Game PvP? Trust me you'll need RL XP playing STO to perform well in end-game PvP. Oh yeah and there are a few STFs, but seriously, what else is there? Is it that you want to go back and play the majority of the missions, or the game for that matter, as a Vice Admiral?

I'm sorry, I just don't buy it or get it. Whether it takes a month or a week to reach Cap, isn't it supposed to be about the journey not the destination? What's the point of playing the game?

But the Devs have already made up their minds so the whole point is moot.
When players think "endgame is all there is". PvP or PvE. Not new to this game or any others. I'm not one of them, but to have not noticed that............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory275 View Post
Agreed. When I was leveling my PvP toon I wanted to stay and enjoy Commander level PvP for awhile because I was having so much fun. It was over way too fast... what a blast! I know many wish that one could freeze skill points so that you can stay at a desired rank as long as you want.
Old, and stay at rank for what to be called captain? Or to have challenges/quests like you you had then. Former, not part of argument, later (or is it latter?), a question of endgame.

Destination left journey the minute "endgame" was coined. The massive part of MMORPG decided they want to be with the big boys right away, it's not new.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-21-2011, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maina View Post
When players think "endgame is all there is". PvP or PvE. Not new to this game or any others. I'm not one of them, but to have not noticed that............

Old, and stay at rank for what to be called captain? Or to have challenges/quests like you you had then. Former, not part of argument, later (or is it latter?), a question of endgame.

No. For me it was so that I could continue to enjoy Commander level PvP, pure and simple.

Destination left journey the minute "endgame" was coined. The massive part of MMORPG decided they want to be with the big boys right away, it's not new.

I believe you there.
Reply in green.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-22-2011, 12:37 AM
Quote:
This game actually does have a fair amount of grinding. Most of the missions in the game are of the "kill 5 ships" variety. Klingons also have little choice but to grind, if there's not enough PvP available to level.

Yeah but the XP requirement to get to VA is cazy-loopy-insane low. Im comparing STO to my last serious MMO - Lineage 2 . The only gameplay is shoot/kill/collect gold with open PVP. Gameplay and leveling in STO is a dream compared to L2. The XP curve in L2 is very steep and basically doubles every level (gota love Korean grind games ). I did not touch an MMO for a long time after that.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-24-2011, 11:32 PM
What I'm curious about is whether or not these boosts boost ALL XP or just kill XP or just Mission Xp...what about DXP?