Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
Stormshade has recently started posting on MMORPG.com, and he has recently confirmed that IF STO ever goes F2P, it will in fact use the same basic model as Champs:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshade
We have no plans to take Star Trek Online Free to Play right now. Should we decide to do so in the future, Lifetime subscribers will continue to have the benefits of being a Lifetime Subscriber they do today, as well as the monthly stipend of Cryptic Points that Champions Online Lifetime Subscribers will soon be enjoying.
Read the entire post here:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cf...026797#4026797

I'm posting this for anyone who is worried that if STO goes F2P it might not use the same model as Champs.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-21-2011, 10:31 AM
begone satan :O
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Two things:
  1. He also said there is no plans to take STO F2P right now. So it's a moot point.
  2. There is a thread on this topic stickied to the top of this page.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-21-2011, 10:33 AM
obviously

/10char
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-21-2011, 10:33 AM
I'm glad he posted this, since there are certain people that will endlessly debate that STO might not use the same model as Champs and therefore we should be really worried about the idea of STO going F2P. Glad to finaly have official confirmation that it will work the same way if and when it happens.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I'm glad he posted this, since there are certain people that will endlessly debate that STO might not use the same model as Champs and therefore we should be really worried about the idea of STO going F2P. Glad to finaly have official confirmation that it will work the same way if and when it happens.
Agreed. Some C store points would be nice.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSteel
Agreed. Some C store points would be nice.
Yeah, that's why I'm not afraid about getting a Lifetime during the sale. Even if we do go F2P, the model would give lifers 'money', making it worth it in the end.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-21-2011, 11:14 AM
If you are attempting to start a flame-up, try better kindling.

STormshades post gave me no "fears" of STO going F2P.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post

Why would it?
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post

There is no flame-up. The way I see it there are two logical possibilities after the life-time subscription sale concludes. Possibility one is Cryptic Studios makes a killing on the sale and decides it has enough capital to make STO go free-to-play within a few months. The money made from the subscriptions will allow Cryptic to upgrade their servers to allow for a higher player capacity. Possibility two is Cryptic studios doesn't make a killing on the sale. If this happens, Cryptic will keep the current subscription model.