Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
01-22-2011, 11:21 AM
There will be changes to some prices for CO because the C-Store items in that title will no longer be seen so much as a "luxury" but rather as a near necessity, so it makes sense to adjust prices to reflect that a bit.

Also, from what I have read, STO C-Store points and CO C-Store points will no longer be interchangeable between the games as they are now. So that will be another thing that is coming as far as I know.

As for the question of f2p for STO, by all accounts, STO is the money maker for ATARI at the moment so that would lead me to believe that the subscription model for STO is currently working well and is also profitable.

Now, if the f2p model works well for Champions Online and they see a marked increase in profitabilty and conclude that this will work for STO as well, then the model change would be a natural progression. However, it will take quite a while for Cryptic to really determine for sure whether or not the re-launch for CO will be a success. After that, they would most likely monitor it's progress to make sure that any increases or decreases are not simply an initial blip.

Looking into my crystal ball, I would say that STO will not be realisticly toying with the idea of F2P for at least 18 months from now unless, the f2p model for CO proves to be a resounding and colossal success.

Cheers!
Crystal_Canuck
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
01-22-2011, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_2099 View Post
There will be changes to some prices for CO because the C-Store items in that title will no longer be seen so much as a "luxury" but rather as a near necessity, so it makes sense to adjust prices to reflect that a bit.
Still mostly cosmetic although free players will pay for some quality of life items. Gold members (subbers and lifers) won't have to buy any "necessary" items.
Quote:
Also, from what I have read, STO C-Store points and CO C-Store points will no longer be interchangeable between the games as they are now. So that will be another thing that is coming as far as I know.
Not quite true either. It's only the free monthly allocation of C-Points given to gold members that are non-transferable between games.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
01-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.William2 View Post
I'll be shocked if it doesn't.
I think we all know that that's going to be decided by one thing: If CO experiences greatly increased revenue after the switch. DDO and LotRO have definitely had massive revenue increases, but CO is a different game, with a different theme, and isn't using exactly the same model. So we'll see.

My impression is that CO was in about the same shape as DDO was when it switched. Not a failure, but sort of limping along making a modest (at best) profit. So, if its conversion is a blockbuster success, I imagine its big brother STO will be converted as well, just like LotRO was.

Re: the topic at hand, C-Store prices are set like all other prices - supply and demand. So how much is charged will be based on a baseline of the dev resources required to make the item, plus however much profit people will pay. I think experience has shown that while players will only be willing to pay a certain amount for items over and above a monthly fee, they'll pay more if the game itself isn't costing them anything. So yeah, if people are willing to pay more, expect Cryptic to charge more.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
01-22-2011, 11:43 AM
To be honest I do hope STO goes F2P so that my family can join me when I play.

But I doubt that will be the case.

My prediction goes like this...

CO goes free to play... people stop paying sub. the number of players joining the game isn't as high and profit goes down. CO goes out of business in a year leaving Cryptic in the red.

STO never goes free to play because the player base is increasing, people are starting to join the game and Cryptic is getting money from sub. and c-store items (double dipping).

STO make a profit and save Atari from bankruptcy.

We get to play STO for 10 years
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
01-22-2011, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Still mostly cosmetic although free players will pay for some quality of life items. Gold members (subbers and lifers) won't have to buy any "necessary" items.


Not quite true either. It's only the free monthly allocation of C-Points given to gold members that are non-transferable between games.
If I wasn't restricted by the NDA, I could tell you what is currently in the C-Store for CO and make a few comments on what you responded. However admiting I am in Beta CO Testing, would also be breaking the NDA, so I have to refrain from saying anything and now withdraw my claim that I am limited by the NDA because that would, by association, imply that I was in the CO Beta...

... which I clearly am not.

*walks away quickly without looking back*

Cheers!
Non_CO_Beta (or not non)_Canuck
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
01-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_2099 View Post
If I wasn't restricted by the NDA, I could tell you what is currently in the C-Store for CO and make a few comments on what you responded. However admiting I am in Beta CO Testing, would also be breaking the NDA, so I have to refrain from saying anything and now withdraw my claim that I am limited by the NDA because that would, by association, imply that I was in the CO Beta...

... which I clearly am not.

*walks away quickly without looking back*

Cheers!
Non_CO_Beta (or not non)_Canuck
Well, the Champions Points switch is advertised.

Cryptic Points can be converted (one way) to Champions Points. Gold members get Champions Points. That's public knowledge.

Pretty sure your beta term has ended if you are Closed Beta.

And the C-Store bonuses are cosmetic and quality of life. Playing without them might be annoying but isn't impossible by any stretch.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
01-25-2011, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.William2 View Post
I give it a year, maybe two, before STO goes F2P.
Im going to give STO till the end of the year before they go F2P. Its inevitable. They are completely geared for that with the shared tokens and such and the xp boosts. I just hope they, Atari and Cryptic, take a good look at other business models and take the good and improve the bad. They have a chance to make a lot of money on going to F2P.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:33 PM.