Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 111
01-24-2011, 05:22 AM
Why do people think the KDF isn't equal to Starfleet?

Both factions have PvP, STFs, featured episodes, fleet actions, defense missions, exploration, crafting, T5 retrofit vessels.
Feds have deep space encounters, Klinks get them at level 43 (or Pi Canis maybe?).
Feds have diplomacy, Klinks have no equivalent.
Klinks have sorties, Feds have no equivalent.
Feds have ~56 storyline missions, Klinks have 12.

Frankly, the difference is minor, and at end-game there is no difference.

Klinks are already equal. STOP WHINING!
Lt. Commander
# 112
01-24-2011, 05:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zutty View Post
Why do people think the KDF isn't equal to Starfleet?

Both factions have PvP, STFs, featured episodes, fleet actions, defense missions, exploration, crafting, T5 retrofit vessels.
Feds have deep space encounters, Klinks get them at level 43 (or Pi Canis maybe?).
Feds have diplomacy, Klinks have no equivalent.
Klinks have sorties, Feds have no equivalent.
Feds have ~56 storyline missions, Klinks have 12.

Frankly, the difference is minor, and at end-game there is no difference.

Klinks are already equal. STOP WHINING!
44 More missions is only a minor differance? lol just lol.

This is the attitude that we are up against. With players who think like this the KDF or any other new faction will always be ignored by the devs in terms of content.

You sir are the worst kind of STO Player, one of to many IMO.
Lt. Commander
# 113
01-24-2011, 06:19 AM
Considering there was already class specific content in a previous weekly, available to both factions I might add, I don't understand the fanboy rage at the Feds. They simply have more missions and the first missions a new player will experience. It only makes sense to update those first few ones first.
Lt. Commander
# 114
01-24-2011, 06:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Hunter 9
Considering there was already class specific content in a previous weekly, available to both factions I might add, I don't understand the fanboy rage at the Feds. They simply have more missions and the first missions a new player will experience. It only makes sense to update those first few ones first.
And this doesn't even increase the content gap. It just improves the quality of an existing mission.

And the content gap won't be fixed before Romulans come out either.

The holdup there is getting enough weeklies and KDF missions to level a Klingon through PvE, not equalizing the content.
Lt. Commander
# 115
01-24-2011, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I don't think anybody walks on water. I think what you're getting is about as much as you could possibly get and has probably required creative thinking on Dtsahl's part and the team's part as a whole to justify in his labor budgets. What Klingons have gotten for the last eight months... and since launch, is them striving to accomodate you. I do not think better is possible without a truly revolutionary idea on how to apply the existing amount of effort in a way that better serves you.
So why do you keep asking for a different movement system? It seems like you're applying one standard for stuff you like and another for stuff I like.
Lt. Commander
# 116
01-24-2011, 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksparrowjive55 View Post
There is a new "remastered" episode on Tribble ATM where depending on your class, you get different objectives in the mission. Thats great and all, but maybe before you worry about creating content for every different CLASS you should actually finish one of the game's FACTION's?
http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/y...-death-cry.jpg

'nuf said
Lt. Commander
# 117
01-24-2011, 07:01 AM
Quote:
There is a new "remastered" episode on Tribble ATM where depending on your class, you get different objectives in the mission. Thats great and all, but maybe before you worry about creating content for every different CLASS you should actually finish one of the game's FACTION's?
Considering that this is something people have been asking for for a long time, a way for their chosen division to actually have meaning, I dont have a problem with it. And you can bet that what they have working for the UFP side will also start showing up in the KDF as well.

I want equality between factions as well, but I also recognize that the UFP IS most representative of Star Trek, as every trek series and movie to date has been Starfleet-centric. It is what the masses expect.
Lt. Commander
# 118
01-24-2011, 07:10 AM
Quote:
Yeah, if Cryptic was either apathetic or opposed to Klingons, they'd have shut down the faction, folded it into the Federation
Sad thing is, this is probably the most sensible way the game could have been designed from the start.

The Fed/KDF war as implemented, both in storyline and PvP, is nothing more than a bad punchline to a worse joke, an utterly pointless and wasteful affair compared to the genuine looming threats. But even it wouldn't need to be tossed out.

They could have done PvE not unlike WoW; different starting hubs for different civilizations (Sol, Qonos, Cardassia, (probably not Rator III because Empress Sela the Bat**** rules there)), with a small smattering of early PvE missions each leading into unified mission chains dealing with the overarching story and the hotspots of conflict in each area. Have the player characters transcend governments (and get badass rogue cred in the process) and work together as a looseish alliance of like-minded captains trying to get to the bottom of things and ferret out the real enemies of everybody. So you'd have eyes-open Starfleet captains, House of Martok (and allies) KDF captains, Detapa Council Cardassians (let's let them be post-Occupation Japan instead of occupied Japan, already), and those-Romulans-in-some-episodes-that-actually-don't-want-to-shoot-at-us, all sharing almost all the same content, able to team, with some origin-triggered options and reactions in the mission dialogue. Ok, that last one assumes that actually starting out the game with 'agnostic' content would have resulted in such missions being written sensibly from a broader Trek viewpoint. Though some of the Fed missions aren't exactly very Fed-ish anyway.

This could still happen against the backdrop of everyone at each others' throats. The setup frames inter- and intra-faction PvP as still quite plausible; also mixed-group. For those of us that actually feel the need to justify it ICly, even the captains most strongly committed to cooperation could still receive orders that lead to inevitable conflict.
Lt. Commander
# 119
01-24-2011, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Well the KDF does get the best toys for pvp.

Let's face it the KDF was so half hearted in effort that no one is going to want to play one at this point. I made one because my fleet has a klingon arm. I will never roll another one because frankly powerleveling isn't an option..... It's the only way to level over there.

Sure I enjoy my Vorcha, Karfi, and BOP.... but it's not worth ever rolling another klink.

Hell I won't ever roll another Fed for that matter either. Once you do the story missions with 2 chars, and power level a 3rd this game just doesn't offer enough content on Fedside to even care about a 4th fed. The missions story save for some in cmdr and captain. Suck. The gameplay is unimaginative and so easy I find it amazing that anyone could ever require Help to beat, (since most of it has ground components) and there is no puzzle solving etc. It's just Boring And Pointless.

PVE should have been done like Wow. regionally focused, race specific and filled with neat story arcs, final climaxes for each arc, and in places challenging if you aren't a veteran to videogames. (and familiar with the concept of "pulling" specific mobs and not others etc) Wow might have been Rough at launch. But at least it had two full factions, and ALOT of specific to race story arcs to give you variety in leveling alts.
Lt. Commander
# 120
01-24-2011, 12:24 PM
Quote:
The holdup there is getting enough weeklies and KDF missions to level a Klingon through PvE, not equalizing the content.
We're there. I have three max level Klink toons, and they're the ones I primarily play. I levelled the first one right at launch, meaning, I ground pvp to RA5. Literally. The second one, I had Empire Defense missions and exploration added, so I ground those in addition to pvp, alternating back and forth really for marks to upgrade gear, up to RA5.

I levelled the third one recently, such that by the time I hit LG1, both feature episode chains were available with the dailies. I entered a PVP instance precisely 3 times the whole time I was levelling on that toon. I did a lot of dailies, but not very much exploration grinding at all (in fact, my gear kinda lagged behind because I wasn't deluged with token like I was on my second toon). I also, of course, had the 8 KDF specific missions, which are some of the best in the game.

And now we've got even more dailies. And crafting. And a whole lot more options for ships.

I don't want Cryptic to waste a bunch of time making 40 more Klingon-specific story missions that I'll play once, on yet another alt. I would much rather have them use that dev time and effort making endgame content, or at the very least Feature Episode content that I can play at endgame with the three tons I've levelled.

Once Gorn customization is released, I'm planning to level a fourth Klingon toon. And what we have now will be just fine for me to do it. I find levelling Fed alts now, through the exact same story missions (which have a much worse payoff in terms of time spent to skill points gained than the Klingon missions the same level), far far more tedious than levelling a Klingon.
Closed Thread