Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 41
01-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Sadly, I cannot say that the first remastered episode was an improvement. You can read why here:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...52#post3298352
Well......that is true. I felt the changes were ok, not like it was immediately spectacular. They didnt detract from the original mission, IMO, except for the fact that if you dont roll a sci, you leave those poor people lying about. That was definitely bad.

The transporter room is something some people have been asking for. Most every post in reply ive seen to that idea on the forums was positive, but as with many ideas on the forum, in practice it doesnt seem so good anymore.

Ok, heres another way of thinking about. Since its one of the shortest and lowest level missions with no plotlines extending to other missions, its a pretty good candidate to be a guinea pig for remastering techniques.

As opposed to taking a mission that people care more about, say one of the few episodes KDF has, and accidentally ruin it in the process.
Lt. Commander
# 42
01-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRevan View Post
Well......that is true. I felt the changes were ok, not like it was immediately spectacular. They didnt detract from the original mission, IMO, except for the fact that if you dont roll a sci, you leave those poor people lying about. That was definitely bad.

The transporter room is something some people have been asking for. Most every post in reply ive seen to that idea on the forums was positive, but as with many ideas on the forum, in practice it doesnt seem so good anymore.

Ok, heres another way of thinking about. Since its one of the shortest and lowest level missions with no plotlines extending to other missions, its a pretty good candidate to be a guinea pig for remastering techniques.

As opposed to taking a mission that people care more about, say one of the few episodes KDF has, and accidentally ruin it in the process.
Thats why I recommended an upcoming weekly. That way it would have been playable by both factions, and it would have been time spent working on new content rather than old content.
Lt. Commander
# 43
01-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Just for fun, why is that exactly?
Because its a established mission so if there are any problems with the addition its the additions fault not the missions, also I belive people are seening this as a new mission and not a addition for all missions, its a option test on tribble not a full blown mission. and how do you know this wont be added to the new missions coming out ? they did delay it another week to work on it ma by they are waiting to see how this pans out?
Lt. Commander
# 44
01-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Thats why I recommended an upcoming weekly. That way it would have been playable by both factions, and it would have been time spent working on new content rather than old content.
They're probably already going to do this for the new weeklies. At least i hope so.

Judging by the Foundry tools, id also say its alot easier relatively to modify an existing mission than to make a new one...not that im saying remastering is easy, i wouldnt know. Its not like alot of things in Azura changed.
Lt. Commander
# 45
01-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarsightFrostwhisper
Look... I am really fine with how this is. Why? Because Federation appeals to 99 percent of STO players, while KDF is... well - their missions involve killing humans and that's something that a lot of people doesn't like, including me. Sure, flying BoP is fun, but honestly - KDF shouldn't be a full-fledged equivalent of the Federation faction, rather a pvp alternative.
Actually, the Federation appeals to 88% of the player base.

Dan said that the KDF is only 12% of the total pop.

He also said that number changes from week to week, but I don't see that percentage shifting all too drastically one way or the other.
Lt. Commander
# 46
01-22-2011, 12:01 PM
Remastering episodes makes sense for a couple reasons, chief among them episode replay, raising interest in rolling alts, and making the game more interesting for new (and returning second look) players.

That said, the technology gap between release and now, not even one year later, isn't that large. WoW managed to wait 6 years before going back and remastering content for the reasons above. There the change was massive and significant.

Though I think the Klingon faction is pretty close to 'done' (once the Gorn customization and last few other currently under development tweaks come out) I agree that there are probably better uses for dev time and resources than remastering very low level Fed missions. Like the Featured Episodes that Nagus brings up. Or getting things rolling on the Romulans for that matter.
Lt. Commander
# 47
01-22-2011, 12:20 PM
A lot of people seem to fail to understand something very important here.

Is that remastering the Azura mission is a WIn Win move for "everyone", wether you are a fed or a klingon is 100% irrelevant.
The Azura mission is one of the first missions that EVERYONE who plays, has ever played, will ever play STO will play.
Does it then not make sense that it should be polished up and remastered so that NEW players may actually get a more interesting experience than what is offered now?
Lt. Commander
# 48
01-22-2011, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksparrowjive55 View Post
There is a new "remastered" episode on Tribble ATM where depending on your class, you get different objectives in the mission. Thats great and all, but maybe before you worry about creating content for every different CLASS you should actually finish one of the game's FACTION's?
Just what we needed. Yet ANOTHER thread on this. Use the search function and you'll find the STO team's reasoning behind this, and it's valid.

Eventually all of the episodes will get this treatment, INCLUDING the Klingons. So less QQ, more pew pew
Lt. Commander
# 49
01-22-2011, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMiracle View Post
Though I think the Klingon faction is pretty close to 'done' (once the Gorn customization and last few other currently under development tweaks come out) I agree that there are probably better uses for dev time and resources than remastering very low level Fed missions.
The first part of your statement HAS to be a joke. Klingons wont be done until you can level to Max without grinding the same content, whether its PvP or PvE over and over again. Currently they are about 1/4 of the way there with the featured episodes and their own 8 episdoes. But thats no even close to "done".

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrayl View Post
Just what we needed. Yet ANOTHER thread on this. Use the search function and you'll find the STO team's reasoning behind this, and it's valid.

Eventually all of the episodes will get this treatment, INCLUDING the Klingons. So less QQ, more pew pew
Klingons dont want rehashed content, they want NEW content. But feel free to continue QQing about other people QQing if you like. It gives me something to laugh at
Lt. Commander
# 50
01-22-2011, 01:48 PM
You all do realize that the episode was remasted by a Dev whose job entails exactly what he's doing. Gozer said somewhere that this is his job description at Cryptic so his remastering of Stranded has nothing to do with development of new content. They can do both.

For the record Nagus I totally disagree with you about the remastered Stranded. I really liked it and thought the cut scenes were well done and added a lot to the mission...but hey each to their own.
Closed Thread