Lt. Commander
I don't see an option to limit targeting distance in space as compared to the ground control in control options. Am I missing something or was this removed? Since my beams won't target anything past 10KM I don't want to select targets way off in the distance when I'm quickly pressing tab.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-18-2011, 11:43 AM
Bumptastic
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-21-2011, 07:47 AM
I guess I'm going to have to create a ticket just to get a simple response from anyone. Has the community become totally defunct?
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-21-2011, 09:27 AM
Sorry, I don't normally check this particular subforum. I'll give you an answer seeing as no one else has though it's probably not the one you want. As far as I know there is no way to limit targeting distance. And though you can only fire at things within 10km, I do find it useful to be able to target things farther away then that. But that's probably because I am a Carrier pilot. (Able to deploy things at 15km away from target, and if deployables have no target I can target anything I can see and they fly to it, even if it is 25km away....but it takes a while for them to get there.)
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-25-2011, 01:43 PM
I agree, it can be limiting to only be able to target foes within 10km, you would want to at least "lock on" and be tracking the progress of a target further away than that as you approach. However, when tabbing past a group of foes to get at the one you want, I admit it can be rough to have to skip past all the ones that are out of range to "start over" from the closest.

Is there a way to target the closest enemy? (To the OP, I believe hitting Escape and the Tab will do this, but I'm not 100% sure even of that)

Edit: Ah, there is such a command, but it is not bound to a key by default. It looks like "G" will also automatically target an enemy under the "Expose" effect, although that's no help in space.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-26-2011, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKatrina View Post
probably because I am a Carrier pilot. (Able to deploy things at 15km away from target, and if deployables have no target I can target anything I can see and they fly to it, even if it is 25km away....but it takes a while for them to get there.)
That I did not know! I usually play my fed so I suppose I assumed that everything had a 10K limit. Thanks! At least there's reason for targeting beyond 10K. Would be nice if they had the option though... especially since it's available for ground controls. Kind of lazy in a way.

@Blayyde: There is a key bind for targeting the closest enemy. Not sure what the default is, I changed that long ago. Normally targeting selects the closet enemy to the farthest enemy, in your current view. What I want is to save myself the trouble of having to hit shift+tab to go back and forth between targets in range. Sometimes I want to target a ship behind me as well and then i have to tab past the 10 distant ships prior to targeting my 6 o'clock. The option to limit targeting distance would alleviate that.

Thanks for getting back to me though! Much appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-26-2011, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeybarf View Post
@Blayyde: There is a key bind for targeting the closest enemy. Not sure what the default is, I changed that long ago. Normally targeting selects the closet enemy to the farthest enemy, in your current view. What I want is to save myself the trouble of having to hit shift+tab to go back and forth between targets in range. Sometimes I want to target a ship behind me as well and then i have to tab past the 10 distant ships prior to targeting my 6 o'clock. The option to limit targeting distance would alleviate that.

Thanks for getting back to me though! Much appreciated.
Well, after finding out about it thanks to this thread, I went back to the game and remapped my Tab to the nearest enemy. I always find that most useful anyway. I use a second key for traversal. So if I end up "going past" the foe I am aiming for I just hit Tab to start over.

Another alternative, I suppose, it to remap something else to target previous so you just have to hit two buttons, not Tab and Shift-Tab. (Honestly I don't ever use that)

I don't really have problems targetting foes behind me, but I'm guessing you have the camera zoomed out so you can watch and target foes behind you. I probably can't give much good advice there, as I pretty much keep it zoomed in just so I can limit the number of targets Tab does select between.

You know, what you really want is a "target next in range" command. As I said earlier, you want to be able to target a foe that's outside of range, but when you're going from one in range target to the NEXT in range target, you want it to be in range. That really needs a separate command, since there are probably folks who prefer the current command to work like it does. This could be bound to the same key as the "target next exposed" command, which is only applicable on the ground, and thus currently doesn't have a use in space.