Lt. Commander
Cryptic,

Please let us change the appearance of our
Photonic Bridge Officers just like all the other bridge officers can be customized!

Thank you!
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-08-2010, 09:22 PM
I completely agree.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-08-2010, 09:55 PM
I don't know... it's canon that he shouldn't be customizable, after all.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-08-2010, 09:59 PM
I know that ArtDev mhighison is aware of the issue and that he was going to look into it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-09-2010, 12:19 AM
I spoke to my Photonic Officer yesterday after being notified of a failure to report for his duty shift. He said was ashamed to be a Cryptic NPC because he's not customizable! He was extremely sad and wanted to be deactivated.

I told him, "YOU are an officer aboard this ship and right now you have a DUTY to perform." He paused for a moment, sighed and said, "I'm sorry sir, I just cannot until I'm customizable like all the other officers." After that he spoke his last words... "Computer, deactivate EMH."

He's sulking somewhere inside the main computer and refuses to be activated. Even my Chief Engineer cannot bring him back online.

Thanks, Cryptic... but I think this photonic officer needs to be sent back to Jupiter Station for reprogramming and redesign.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-09-2010, 02:22 AM
I agree, let us customize it. Fully. It should have all the options for "alien" in the character creator/tailor plus optional holographic effects.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-09-2010, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas-
I agree, let us customize it. Fully. It should have all the options for "alien" in the character creator/tailor plus optional holographic effects.
I think it'd be cool to change gender too, but I won't push too hard for that. I like the idea of the BO being an "avatar" of the ship (since it's a generic science officer and not necessarily an EMH). And since ships are generally referred to as female...a female holographic avatar of the ship would be appropriate.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ****tor View Post
I don't know... it's canon that he shouldn't be customizable, after all.
By that token, ALL bridge officers shouldn't be customiseable, since you can't alter a person's skin colour, height, build, etc.

Except, of course, you can - same with the Borg Bridge Officer. Not the 'accolade' one, though - that's logical, though, since the new STO borg are way too inhuman (too many missing limbs/organs) to customise them with regular humanoid bits.

And specifically regarding the Photonic Officer, by all logic, it should be the EASIEST to customise, since it's just a case of tweaking his/her appearance settings in the ship's computer or their mobile emitter. Considering the occasions where Joe Schmullus/Schweitzer (geddit? ) disguised himself by doing exactly that, it's not beyond the realms of possibility to suggest that we could do the same to ours in-game.

Besides, not all EMHs or similar are based on the same template - see the EMH Mk. II from 'Message in a Bottle', or the attempt at a Bashir hologram in 'Doctor Bashir, I Presume?'. By extension, we should be able to chose which 'real life' person our hologram is based on - i.e., alter their appearance when we receive them.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-09-2010, 12:50 PM
What does the BO look like by default?

Plus I support this (even though I don't own one), I mean the EMH on voyager had a whole episode where he changed what he looks like (Renisance man Voy Season 7 Episode 25?), in an alternate timeline the Dr had altered his own program to give himself hair, Janeway even reprogramed her holographic boytoy
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-09-2010, 12:56 PM
Well the doctor came to be sentient and that changed a lot of things... if you notice, though, all the same "Marks" of his model didn't change appearances (as we saw in the episode where the Doctor wrote an holonovel, and we saw all the EMH in a mine, somewhere... they all looked like the Doctor. Same for te EMH in First Contact!) I think if they Could have changed him, they would have, no?

So yeah, even though He could change, he was an exception, in my opinion... all others EMH Mark 1 were fixed.

EDIT: It was stated several times that the Doctor was made to look like his creator, Dr. Zimmerman. That's one of the reason they didn't change. EMH Mark II said the same, so I would expect all the Mark IIs (even though he was only a prototype) would look like Andy ****! Granted, the bridge officer we have isn't an EMH, just a bridge officers, and STO is set decades after Voyager and advances in individual customization might have been made.